AotM #3: Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

lemmingllama

As proposed earlier, we are beginning something that can become a monthly thing, the Anime of the Month. Simply put, we will watch the anime throughout the month and then chat about it in a thread. As guidelines, the anime chosen will always be 26 episodes or less, and active users of the thread can pm me suggestions for the next month's anime. Also please try something that not everyone has seen before so the discussions arent biased. Please no movies or OVA series, we want an actual series. Now that we have that established, we can now begin with the Anime of the Month #3, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom! This can be found in dual-audio and 720p in dark4yoyo's thread. This one has 26 episodes.

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=33590

Also, jobonline has a mini-encode of this series

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=34069

Synopsis

Mafia is rife in America where assassinations are a regular occurrence on the streets. Inferno, a mysterious company, is behind most of these dealings through the use of their near-invincible human weapon, "Phantom."

One day, a Japanese tourist accidentally witnesses Phantom’s latest murder. Desperate to escape, the tourist hides in a secluded building. However, Phantom, revealed to be a young woman named Ein, and the leader of Inferno ‘Scythe Master’ captures the tourist and brainwashes him.

Given the name ’Zwei’, this once peaceful tourist is now a puppet of Inferno with no memories. Drawn into a world of lies, deceit, and violence, Zwei must fight to survive, hopefully to one day regain his memories and escape from this world where he is constantly on the brink of death.

[Written by MAL Rewrite]

Again, please pm me with suggestions or if you post them in the thread, please add other content that is related to the thread. Enjoy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People never really chat as intended on anything really. Rather than discuss weekly episodes in the Seasonal Section most people either ignore it or just post 'this is good' or 'this is bad'.

Anyhow I've seen Phantom already, just a few months back or so, so don't really want to re-watch it just yet. It was a little slow to get into, but after a few episodes I found myself really liking it. However the thing that happens in the end was a little unnecessary and really served no purpose. I didn't expect them to do that but I figured it would happen when I saw that scene.

It was a little slow to get into, but after a few episodes I found myself really liking it. However the thing that happens in the end was a little unnecessary and really served no purpose. I didn't expect them to do that but I figured it would happen when I saw that scene.

nice way to get people interested in it koby,

i was downloading this anime when MU was taken down, i had watched 2eps and had liked it. thanks for "dark4yoyo" for uploading it and for lemming for making it AotM.(because i got to know it was uploaded here again). will comment again after watching the series.

People never really chat as intended on anything really. Rather than discuss weekly episodes in the Seasonal Section most people either ignore it or just post 'this is good' or 'this is bad'.

Anyhow I've seen Phantom already, just a few months back or so, so don't really want to re-watch it just yet. It was a little slow to get into, but after a few episodes I found myself really liking it. However the thing that happens in the end was a little unnecessary and really served no purpose. I didn't expect them to do that but I figured it would happen when I saw that scene.

Yeah that's what most people say, the anime is epic but ending is so-so. But like everyone was saying it's still an epic anime to watch regardless.

ooooooo! I really liked this anime. Was gritty, dark and a bit risque...all rounder imo. The ending didn't bug me as much, kinda rounded it off for me, although it would've been nicer if it ended on a bit of a happier note. The whole series was a bit of a emotional roller coaster in terms of character relations but the final ep really felt lacking...meh still a brilliant series imo.

Ok I know ive said this before but im watching this Aotm!! I was going to watch the last one as well but then everything went to hell in a way, kametsu went down and well you know the rest. I will get this one tomorrow and start watching it after I finish watching the new shippuden eps.

Up to episode 6 and have to go to bed, damn college if I didn't have you I could do an all nighter and watch more. Opening and closing themes are nothing special, actually the closing theme is by the ALI PROJECT which I can't stand so that's a bit of a downer. First few episodes are a bit slow but by episode 4 I realized that this was going to be another great anime choice for the AotM.

But I won't go into detail with this anime until I've seen at bit more because I can tell that there will be a couple of surprises on the way.

Also why other members are you tempting me the more you talk about the ending the more I'll be unable to sleep =)

I have also started this, only four episodes in but already enjoying it immensely. I really like how they start it off with a future scene then go back a bit and get to the roots. I am finding it to be a more polite and more deadly Black Lagoon, so I am quite pleased so far. Also, it seems that neither the sub or dub really have that much merit due to the lack of emotions, but I seem to enjoy it more with the dubs so I'll stick to that for now. OP and ED arent that great, easily forgettable. But then again, thats just what a phantom is supposed to be like, so I guess it fits the anime

Just finished episode 16 and I'm speeding through the episodes with lots of enjoyment.

The addition of Cal to the group has given the whole story a nicer feeling in my eyes, made it less serious and more of a warm hearted laugh. But of course this anime doesn't seem like that kind of genre so I can tell that there is something waiting in future episodes that I am not going to be able to enjoy too much, not in terms of I won't like the actual anime but that the story-line will probably start down the road to darkness and tragedy.

Anyway only 10 more episodes and then I'll give my overall opinion on the anime but so far it's great with the only down side being that the ED is still not something that I like listening to but I've slightly taken a liking to the OP.

EDIT

Sorry about that I should have put these in spoilers from the start.

Just finished this a minute ago and it was a pretty good series, not as good as the previous AotM but that's probably since the amount of comedy was less than the others and also I always enjoy OP & ED which weren't too good for this anime.

One thing I'm not quite sure on is the ending. I know he got shot at the end but what I'm not sure about is why and also why Erin didn't take it badly, I think I have an idea but I'm not sure enough of it. So if anyone knows what it means at the end scene please share since I want to verify may opinion with this final part of the series.

Anyway I gave it a 8/10 on MAL so anyone viewing this thread who hasn't seen this anime I recommend it, it's a little dark with little comedy but it's very mysterious and makes you think a little while watching it which I liked since I didn't get bored while watching it and had to piece some parts together to understand the concept.

Just finished this a minute ago and it was a pretty good series, not as good as the previous AotM but that's probably since the amount of comedy was less than the others and also I always enjoy OP & ED which weren't too good for this anime.

One thing I'm not quite sure on is the ending. I know he got shot at the end but what I'm not sure about is why and also why Erin didn't take it badly, I think I have an idea but I'm not sure enough of it. So if anyone knows what it means at the end scene please share since I want to verify may opinion with this final part of the series.

Anyway I gave it a 8/10 on MAL so anyone viewing this thread who hasn't seen this anime I recommend it, it's a little dark with little comedy but it's very mysterious and makes you think a little while watching it which I liked since I didn't get bored while watching it and had to piece some parts together to understand the concept.

If you want to know what happen at the end read this: http://shinmaru.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/in-defense-of-phantoms-end/

I believe that's the true ending

In fact I came up with the same conclusion as he did with the ending. I was quite surprised that he came down to the same conclusion, since everyone kept on saying they are both dead or Erin is a retard and smiled at Reiji. Or she committed suicide etc etc. The ending was somewhat perfect. To be honest, I'm a sucker for happy ending so I didn't exactly liked how it ended, but for this case I don't mind at all.

In fact I came up with the same conclusion as he did with the ending. I was quite surprised that he came down to the same conclusion, since everyone kept on saying they are both dead or Erin is a retard and smiled at Reiji. Or she committed suicide etc etc. The ending was somewhat perfect. To be honest, I'm a sucker for happy ending so I didn't exactly liked how it ended, but for this case I don't mind at all.

I came to this conclusion but I also wanted my conclusion that Elen had something to do with Reiji's death to be feasible but the evidence doesn't point to this idea so I accepted that it was Inferno.

I kind of get bored of always having a happy ending so I quite liked this ending, although when seeing the actual scene I was downhearted that Mio Fujieda wouldn't see Reiji again and that Reiji & Elen couldn't enjoy there new life. Mio actually looks like Rin from Rideback to me.

Also I didn't like how cute Cal became adult Cal, Cal was the happiness in this series and also a source of comedy, and the quick what-if story in episode 25, I think, where it shows a scene of what-if Cal and Reiji found each other after the explosion depressed me, it was the saddest part for me of the whole series.

EDIT

Yeah everything I said was like a massive spoiler to the whole series. SO BE WARNED!!!