Random Talk.

Talena Mae

I'm pretty active in our irc channel. Most of our traffic are leechers who just sit there idle all the time, but there are a few regulars like me who come to talk frequently.

If you're just starting out with irc, and you're going to use it mainly to do xdcc downloads I suggest you get xchat-wdk. Note the wdk on the end because if you get the regular xchat program you'll be prompted to pay for it after the trial period ends. The reason why I recommend xchat-wdk is because it has the ability to use a certain useful xdcc addon: xdccq. Here's what usually happens when you try to do an xdcc download:

You request a file, the file is sent to you, you download it, then you request the next one. Sometimes you can do a batch download to make things go a bit quicker. A batch download is awesome if you and the server have a huge bandwidth availability because you end up downloading a whole bunch of files in parallel. However, if you're like most people you can only handle about 5 or so files at one time before your download speed starts going to 5kb/s. So eventually you end up sitting there waiting for downloads to finish so you can queue up some more until you're done. xdccq eliminates the need for you to be there. Once you queue up a list of downloads in xdccq, the script will automatically request the next download in the list from the xdcc server once the current download is done. You get files one at a time which is a bit slower sometimes, but the benefit of not having to pay attention and queue up more downloads is well worth the tiny loss of efficiency. If you set xchat's options to automatically put downloads in a certain folder you can easily set xdccq up and go to sleep then wake up in the morning with all you want done. You shouldn't do that on a channel you don't trust though because there is a small risk since anyone can send you a download and you can't refuse them with the option set to automatically accept :P.

Another thing you should note is how to find anime on irc. Our channel has a bunch of anime, but we don't have everything. On a completely different irc server from ours (Rizon) there's a channel called #news (you'll have to connect to Rizon first, you can't switch to #news from kametsu's irc). In there you can probably find any anime you want. However, download speeds aren't always the best in there since it's a really massive hub. If you're OK with subbed anime, one of the best ways I've found to get what you want is to go to the subgroup's irc channel and download the anime you want directly from their servers. You can use stuff like anidb and MAL to figure out which subgroups subbed the anime you want and visit their site to find out if they have the anime hosted on xdcc.

• Like 1

I really should start chatting more in the IRC, I drop in every now and again to see how everything is going and whos on. Most of the time the IRC is dead with leechers as Dae pointed out and then you get time where the IRC is alive with chatter though I can never really find an opening to say anything to start chatting with everyone. I guess Hi would be a good way to join in lol.

Of course we talk about CPUs and GPUs and motherboards and such! IRC is a major geek hangout spot :P. Depending on the channel you join, not knowing about programming and hardware might actually put you in the minority xD. But we talk. Just maybe not during a time when you're on because of different time zones. The best way to get into a conversation isn't to say hi. It's best to make a witty/funny comment off what we're currently talking about, then keep going. Sometimes our conversations can get pretty random though so you'll have to learn to adapt quickly to a constantly changing and mostly random conversation. Think of this chat thread but posts coming in at like 40 per minute.

In most experiences I've had with chat rooms, people typically don't mind others just joining the conversation as it happens without bothering to say hello, so I don't see much point in stopping conversation for such pleasantries, haha. It is faster paced and generally less in-depth than a forum experience since it happens closer to real time, which isn't really my preferred method of communication, haha. Even on things like Pesterchum or Facebook, I message people whether they're online or not and just leave them miles of text because I secretly want to be Dave Strider.

I like leaving walls of text for people sometimes too. Unfortunately, memos at work must be kept short and to the point. So instead of describing in detail the most likely ancestry of the lazy people who didn't vacuum the floors last night before reminding them to do it every shift, I have to just leave a short "Please remember to vacuum the floors every shift." memo that I'm sure the ones who need to see it just walk by anyway.. So I also leave a copy in their apron. ^_^

• Like 1

In most experiences I've had with chat rooms, people typically don't mind others just joining the conversation as it happens without bothering to say hello, so I don't see much point in stopping conversation for such pleasantries, haha. It is faster paced and generally less in-depth than a forum experience since it happens closer to real time, which isn't really my preferred method of communication, haha. Even on things like Pesterchum or Facebook, I message people whether they're online or not and just leave them miles of text because I secretly want to be Dave Strider.

Yeah I guess your right about it being a fast paced talk program unlike the forum but I always feel like I need to say hi to everyone or a great topic to jump in on that I can share common ground with the others in the chat room. Talking to someone over a chat room can sometimes be good for small talk and it's like you said EO I find it better to message people and leave them miles of text that can cover a thousand topics and wait for a details response back.... or in some cases when my mates are lazy on facebook you get a "yeah" back -.-

Nothing is more depressing then putting ages into a well thought out message to a friend and them only giving you a short or one word reply back....

It's worse in RPs, You can go off on a huge description of every step you take walking into a room, or attempting to cut someone's head off, fill three pages worth of text on it... And then get a response that basically reads "I duck and punch ur face lol" >.< That's why I don't do many forum RPGs anymore...

It's worse in RPs, You can go off on a huge description of every step you take walking into a room, or attempting to cut someone's head off, fill three pages worth of text on it... And then get a response that basically reads "I duck and punch ur face lol" >.< That's why I don't do many forum RPGs anymore...

has this really happened to you before, that quote is awesome :D

That's her little Angel... Who isn't so little anymore. ^_^

That pic was taken back when we first got her... When she could fit in the palm of even my hand, or in the pocket of my coat.. and I found her (several times) hiding in my boots. Now, while she's not quite as huge as my monster cat Ghost, she's at least twice the size of all but 2 of the other cats in the neighborhood.

sakljfdskl;fj cats ;~~;

I hate it when I'm really passionate about something so I go off on rambling diatribes and no one knows what the sweet fuck I'm even talking about and therefore can't add to the conversation. I'm pretty sure at least someone is entertained by my 300+ tweet ramblings about Loki but I can never be truly sure about it.

...thor is currently saying hello. hopefully it won't be storming when i have to take my brother to aikido though.