Problems of the "Big Three"

Kyonkicchi

I personally prefer shonen, though I'm not a big fan of the more mainstream anime. It's mostly just that they're so long that I tend to lose interest after a while. I like the shorter anime that I can watch all of in about a week or so better. They seem to have less filler. No big objection to the larger anime, I just can't stick with them.

I don't like the popular shonen animes, especially the Big Three. I tend to be more of a shoujo fan, despite being a male viewer. I find most shonen series to be repetetive, formulaic, and generally sexist. I'd like to see the thoughts of other Kametsu viewers.

that's msotly the problem for two (well i can't really say for naruto but for bleach yes!) of the big three but not one piece then again, if you're on outside looking in and haven't really seen the show, it would seem that way

My big three is One Piece, Fairy Tail and Naruto in that order... Bleach is dead to me. Really though I like all types of anime/manga. (excluding Bleach) I find the "big three" quite enjoyable to watch/read and I think I will all the way through to the end of each series.

I've only seen fairy tail and OP. I put of watching them for the very reasons the original poster stated. But so far I have found them to be very enjoyable (fairy tail is kick-ass) and repetition kept to a minimum. Although I have only reached ep50 something of OP so there is always time to have another opinion on the matter.

• 1 month later...

They're all like that, one piece in the least doesn't follow the same cliches as other shounen series but still even if its such a big hit it tends to drag and makes people wonder why things haven't sped up the crews individual goals yet.

aside from that I don't really read shounen series, but I like their anime adaptations. Though the continues style gets old and blasted with fillers makes it frustrating.

I like both shonen and shoujou. It depends on my mood and the storyline involved. For example, I really like Fullmetal Alchemist and Death Note, but I also like Clannad and Anohana. It really just depends on the specific story. Within both genres you will fin repetitive series; you just need to watch the good ones!

I feel similar to lost fool on this one, imo the big three are overhype and quite boring. I have tried to watch all three, the pain of watching failed plot telling and drama (naruto) or repititive "what doesnt kill you makes me invincible" (bleach) is just too much. The whole dragging out of a series makes the plot get very stretched, and filler is the devil in most series' anyway. I will admit though, of the 3 OP was definatly the most original and would probably be the one i would watch if i tried again, but its style grated on me...

I can imagine the whole sexist thing is taken out of context. Something the Japanese usually have going for them is that they are not sexist. But I can see the whole repetition thing, that was a formula that DBZ made popular. As for any of these shows being repetitious you just have to figure that for shows that run this long, the conflict needs to stay alive. Other wise the show would become just to casual and boring.

I can just see it now. Luffy sails to the new world.......and then!!!!!....Nothing. Thats even worse.