Do you really concentrate while watching stuff?

xNoName

Simple question: Do you really concentrate (only watch stuff and do nothing else besides) at the screen/monitor while watching stuff (e.g. Animes)? Do you only glare at things moving on screen and do nothing else? I've known some friends who only, and I mean only, glare at the screen while they are at it. Do you guys do anything – ranging from eating, drinking to encoding, uploading, etc. – while you're watching stuff? Downloading doesn't count, by the way. As for me, I do stuff in between. I mostly get bored while I'm watching a movie or so about halfway through, so I check out the forum or stand up to get a drink and all. Which type of person are you, really?

It depends. If I'm watching one of my favorite shows, I'm going to pay really close attention to it. For example, if I'm watching Doctor Who, Haven, or Supernatural, I'm not going to have my laptop on to browse the internet. But if I'm watching Ghost Hunters, Law and Order, or a movie, I probably will. I guess it just depends on my interest level. Also, if it's something I've seen before, I probably won't be paying full attention.

When I'm watching movies or shows I'm focused on it, not doing anything else. Like PoeticTragedy said, if I've already seen it then I'm not focused, using phone/using lappy, etc.

I especially like to use lappy while watching sports on TV and reading my twitter feed:dhh:

I'm a multitasking person meaning many times I repair my computer watching TV and talking on phone. I can do all these work together.

But watching Anime is a totally different thing for me. I watch it with full concentration whatsoever, many times I have fight with my sister if she disturbs me while I'm watching Anime. If there is no other option than doing some other work then I turn off the Anime and watch the whole episode later when I'm free.

If it's voiced in language I am fluent in I can and might multitask. If it's subbed, I cannot. I usually can't sit still for 20 minutes straight or whatnot. I'm pretty jittery. It's okay when I'm reading books, manga, other material since I can be jittery while my eyes stay focused on what I am reading. But when I am watching something I need to be facing the television and I can't have the television move automatically to follow my jittery movements. It's why I hate computers/laptops and love my Droid device, I can roll around and keep my eyes focused on the screen, and my attention won't divert.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

It depends on what I'm watching. If it's something I've watched before, I'll put it in the background and occasionally glare at it. But if it's something I'm watching for the first time, I give it most of my full attention, but I'll sometimes eat though. When watching stuff for the first time, I try not to multitask cause it's hard for me to enjoy something new that way.

When watching a show of some sort? Pretty much, yes, always. Full undivided attention.

I do eat though most of the time, I always gotta have something to watch while I enjoy a meal. I don't find eating really to draw my attention away from the show though.

Maybe if I'm eating some tough steak or something... and I gotta really go at it to cut it up. I would pause the show if I had to do something like that though.

If I'm watching dubbed and there isn't really anything going on though, sometimes I might pick up my phone and check stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...