Your Reaction To Final Fantasy XIII - 2

Fair

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reaction to the news was disappointment. As bad as Final Fantasy XIII was, I see no reason for them to continue it. Now to play it, it practically makes us either play it without acknowledgment of the first game or forces us to sit through that shit so we can understand this sequel.

I can only hope they make it an actual game and not a CG movie like Final Fantasy XIII was, where you simply ran from point a to point b in straight narrow paths and avoid the enemies and if you get caught repeatedly hit the x-button for auto-battle as it'll always select the right move for you instantly. Not to mention the limitations. No matter how long you set back and fought enemies you can't get stronger as it's limited for what Crystals you can do till you reach certain parts of the story thus you cannot get stronger than they want you to be.

Final Fantasy XIV was so bad they canned it after trying to make it. Seems all Square-Enix has done is steal fans money by slapping the name 'Final Fantasy' on random shit that isn't worth bothering with because anything with that title will sale.

All I could do was a facepalm to be honest. One of the worst games in the series getting a sequal that will only be worse then the game they are doing a sequal for. X and X-2, though I didn't really mind X-2 that much since I was new to Final Fantasy games. But they really should wait to release Versus XIII and wait for coments and everything and make a sequal for the better game.

Or they could save their company and make a new game instead of running Final Fantasy games into the ground like they have been doing after 3, then picking up at IX after.

• 2 weeks later...
I also enjoyed FFXiii. I could easily get over the faults it had (I've played much, much worse, believe me!), and can't wait for either Xiii-2 or Xiii Verses

That's the problem. You played worse.. but did you actually get to play XIII?

No.

FFXIII wasn't a freaking game. Moving on a narrow linear path to point a to point b and selecting auto-battle if you run into an enemy and being limited to how much you can actually increase your character during a set part in the story is not letting you play a game. It's letting you choose a select few options of a film and see how it progresses based on those select few choices.

When I buy a game I expect game play. Final Fantasy XIII had NONE and that was where it failed. Had it been a movie instead which is pretty much is... it might have surpassed Advent Children.

That's the problem. You played worse.. but did you actually get to play XIII?

No.

FFXIII wasn't a freaking game. Moving on a narrow linear path to point a to point b and selecting auto-battle if you run into an enemy and being limited to how much you can actually increase your character during a set part in the story is not letting you play a game. It's letting you choose a select few options of a film and see how it progresses based on those select few choices.

When I buy a game I expect game play. Final Fantasy XIII had NONE and that was where it failed. Had it been a movie instead which is pretty much is... it might have surpassed Advent Children.

Relax.

So it wasn't a game that you could go wherever, spend hours grinding to make characters super strong, and yes, the game could play itself for you, so what? Is there something wrong with people enjoying that?

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you should be trying to force others to not like it. So relax already.

Relax.

So it wasn't a game that you could go wherever, spend hours grinding to make characters super strong, and yes, the game could play itself for you, so what? Is there something wrong with people enjoying that?

Just because you didn't like it doesn't mean you should be trying to force others to not like it. So relax already.

yes there is something wrong with "the game could play itself for you". That implies it is not an interactive experience that we expect from games. I played about halfway through before throwing it away. There were literally hours of gameplay I went through with my eyes closed most of the time. I wasn't missing any story and I didn't have to watch what I was doing, what with the auto-battle.

Basically, my reaction to XIII-2, was NEIN!!!! As in German for No!!!! That is how bad I felt after XIII, that my inner Hitler surfaced and wants to declare a Blitzkrieg against Sqeenix.

However, I did see some gameplay footage for Versus XIII, and it looks alright, a bit Kingdom Hearts in my opinion, but I'd give it a go...provided it comes out on Xbox (sold my PS3 once Sony got rid of OtherOS).

yes there is something wrong with "the game could play itself for you". That implies it is not an interactive experience that we expect from games. I played about halfway through before throwing it away. There were literally hours of gameplay I went through with my eyes closed most of the time. I wasn't missing any story and I didn't have to watch what I was doing, what with the auto-battle.

Basically, my reaction to XIII-2, was NEIN!!!! As in German for No!!!! That is how bad I felt after XIII, that my inner Hitler surfaced and wants to declare a Blitzkrieg against Sqeenix.

However, I did see some gameplay footage for Versus XIII, and it looks alright, a bit Kingdom Hearts in my opinion, but I'd give it a go...provided it comes out on Xbox (sold my PS3 once Sony got rid of OtherOS).

BRAVO! couldn't agree with you more. in most of my posts, i've mentioned that this game should be renamed to "Press X - XIII" since that's all you ever do.

it's an insult calling it a game since it falls more in the category of a CGI movie - a bad one at that.

Relax.

My point was nothing more than...

It wasn't a GAME.

I never said people have to agree to dislike it, but the simple fact remains if you can't play it, it isn't a game. Doesn't mean you don't like it, just means it's not a game and shouldn't be called one.

I also enjoyed XIII, and I'm looking forward to the sequel and versus...well, versus more so (it looks BADASS, seriously!!!), but that's not what this thread is about...

So you like movies posing as non-playable games. Good for you. It's your choice. I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise.

However it doesn't mean we should all have to expect shitty movies instead of games for our consoles because people are easily fooled into buying something that isn't a game. I remember a time when games meant you got to play something.

Call me old school but if fooling people into thinking movies are games are the way the so called games are headed. I will not be buying future games or consoles and stick to ROMs & Emulators of the old classics you actually get to play when my old consoles finally break or the games quit playing. Perhaps gaming as we know it has officially died with this new generation.

People are too lazy to play games and too easily fooled into believing they are getting to play something that game makers forgot about those who have funded them for years.

Maybe just maybe there is hope with Versus, you know with it possibly having a battle system you get to play similar to the Kingdom Hearts series.

So you like movies posing as non-playable games. Good for you. It's your choice.

It doesn't mean we should all have to expect shitty movies instead of games for our consoles because people are easily fooled into buying something that isn't a game. I remember a time when games meant you got to play something.

Dude, WTF, I wasn't saying anything in response to anything you said. Why am I being attacked just for saying "I liked ____"? If I said I liked green, would you be all, "You like the color of grass, good for you. It doesn't mean we all should, wahhh!!!" I would hope not. That would be bizarre as hell...

Did I say y'all should like it too? Nope. Did I flaunt the fact that I like it just to be contrary or get a response? Nope. So what's up with this "good for you" crap? I definitely don't appreciate that one bit, and I thought you were better than that, Koby.

I don't really care if anyone likes what I like but I don't expect to come on here and get bitched out just for saying I liked something...

The point of a forum is to communicate. The point of a thread is to reply. Learn this.

I did exactly what the topic was for. It's not my fault you get pissed off because someone is mad that gaming is quickly becoming nothing more than something you watch while it goes along it's business on it's own without any input from the so called player.

Apparently on top of that you need to learn the definition of trolling. I sure as heck wouldn't bother trolling on my own site. You only feel that way because by your own response you seem to be lacking the basic understanding of the purpose of a forum which given the years you've been here I would have expected you would have learned that purpose by now. You can't expect to post and not get some kind of reply back.

If that's what you want to go then go make some blog somewhere and disable the comments system. Then you can write all the things you want to say without having to see what others think.

Secondly I wasn't bitching at you nor was I even attacking you. What I was attacking though was those in general who enjoy this new generation of false 'game hood' where the players are no longer needed. I like games that need someone holding a controller and actually playing it.

Like I said call me old school but a game is not a game unless it needs a player. If it plays itself it is indeed nothing more than a movie and those ignorant of this fact are ignorant of the very definition of gaming and probably the sole reason why false games like this exist in the first place.

I don't appreciate you attacking me, accusing me a trolling, and accusing me of attacking you directly for doing nothing more than replying to the thread at hand which is the whole point of a thread, for discussion and debating. Again if you don't like it, you are more than welcome to leave.

But you see, call me old school, but I remember a time when others' opinions were respected. There's a difference between replying and replying like that. Fine, not trolling, whatever, but I didn't know what to call it. And I wasn't mad about what you think I was. I don't mind you feeling that the new generation of gaming isn't right. That's cool with me, because I respect opinions of others. Have I ever said that you were wrong to feel the way you do? Nope. It was just that your comment came randomly and unwarranted. I really don't care that hardly anyone else likes that game, I meant...

Okay, I could see if I was like "Omg, how could you say that about XIII? It's like the best and y'all are stupid and I'm right..." but I didn't. All I said was that I liked it. It was totally independent of what anyone else said, and I didn't like that "good for you" stuff one bit.

I always regarded you as a friend, Koby, and because of that, I didn't expect you to act like that. Others, sure, but...

Look, I felt I had to say something after that totally random remark.

But you see, call me old school, but I remember a time when others' opinions were respected. There's a difference between replying and replying like that. Fine, not trolling, whatever, but I didn't know what to call it. And I wasn't mad about what you think I was. I don't mind you feeling that the new generation of gaming isn't right. That's cool with me, because I respect opinions of others. Have I ever said that you were wrong to feel the way you do? Nope. It was just that your comment came randomly and unwarranted. I really don't care that hardly anyone else likes that game, I meant...

Okay, I could see if I was like "Omg, how could you say that about XIII? It's like the best and y'all are stupid and I'm right..." but I didn't. All I said was that I liked it. It was totally independent of what anyone else said, and I didn't like that "good for you" stuff one bit.

I always regarded you as a friend, Koby, and because of that, I didn't expect you to act like that. Others, sure, but...

Look, I felt I had to say something after that totally random remark.

I'm sorry you felt I was directly my post solely at you or your reply but really I wasn't. I don't mean to come off like that but I just really can't stand the way gaming is headed and that for the most part people seem to be okay with it. I mean I understand and respect peoples opinions and all, but when it comes down to it.. how can you enjoy a game, which is something you are meant to play, if it doesn't actually let you play it to begin with? It's not just Final Fantasy XIII. In fact 12 was even worse when it came to this, yet I managed to play all the way through 12 (well if you call it playing). All I did was set the gambits. I left the room during the final boss and came back to see the credits playing because the game beat itself without my need of being there. A movie plays itself, a game shouldn't and I just can't come to terms with the fact that this new generation seems to be fine with games that no longer need players. I blame it on the masses being ignorant of true gaming or simply being too lazy to actually play it (which if that was the case, pop in a movie and pop so pop corn and relax).

I miss games like Final Fantasy 1-10, Shadow Hearts, The Legend of Dragoon, XenoSaga, Grandia II, Zelda Ocarina of Time... I could go on and on.. all of these required you to be there 100% of the time and input 'every' command manually. There was no limitations on how strong you could become in one area, there was no auto-battle, there was no gambit system, and you controlled your entire party when there was one.

Well, obviously I thought it was all me because you quoted my post. What else would I think? The point I was trying to make in all this is that I can't believe you think this isn't a weird sequence of replies:

"I like _____."

"So you like _____. Good for you. That doesn't mean we all should."

This makes no sense because I never said what anyone should or shouldn't do. That is my whole point. I repeat, it doesn't hurt my feelings if someone hates what I like. You might have thought that's what bothered me, but it wasn't something so stupid and simple as that. That's great that you don't like it, because our likes and dislikes are what make us...us. This is precisely why I've never said, "how could y'all not like it? It's great and y'all don't know what y'all are talking about but I do and that's all that matters and, etc..." But that's kinda what it feels like to have an opinion around here lately that doesn't agree with certain people. There's a right and a wrong way to reply to someone's opinions. Repeatedly trashing said opinions for the sake of trashing them, stepping on someone to make it feel like they are wrong for thinking the way they do, making it feel like other's opinions don't matter or are not valid is not really the way to go about it. Making snide remarks in an effort to belittle what others like isn't either. I'd like to believe it isn't so, but that's most definitely how it comes off sometimes. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm too nice. I dunno. I wasn't necessarily angry at you. Disappointed, maybe. It was never the fact that you don't like it. It's how you said it. No one deserves that sarcastic "good for you" stuff just for saying that they like something, and they definitely don't deserve to be accused of forcing their opinions on others just by saying they like something either, as your "that doesn't mean we all should..." stuff suggests (no one said you should or shouldn't do anything!!!)

Now, as far as this "new generation" of gamers thing, I am anything but. I happen to be the same age as you and have played many of the old final fantasy games long before XIII came out, so it's not like I don't know what "real" games are like or where you're coming from. I loved 4 and 8 and 10. Heck, I at least liked almost all of the ones I've ever played for different reasons. I didn't really like 7 all that much, but I totally respect that most everyone does. That's absolutely wonderful. You will never catch me going "so you liked it. Good for you. Does that mean we all should?" That kind of remark only ever makes sense when someone shoves their opinions down one's throat. Simply stating that you like something is not even close to this.

I can't explain what I specifically like about XIII. I was never good at explaining things like that. But I assure you my opinion of it has nothing to do with not knowing what old games are like. Like I said, I've liked past final fantasy games for different things. For me, battle system isn't everything. It's most of it, yes, but maybe I like the characters and storyline enough to compensate? Maybe it's the gorgeous graphics that reel me in. Maybe it's because I'm so busy with my life that sometimes I need a game that I can sit back and dare to be kind of lazy with and enjoy said characters, story, and visuals. Don't worry, I do get it. I've felt and said after many battles throughout XIII that I don't feel very accomplished. But if I want a lot of strategy, which I usually do, I look to 10 to give me that. And 10 is still my favorite. I like 13 when I'm feeling lazier. Heck, 8 didn't even have strategy (I just used attack and sometimes gf's throughout the whole game. I never used magic lest I diminish my stock that was junctioned!!!) So yeah, no abilities or choices or strategy. Just holding that x button down while I drew magic or attacked. But you know what, 8 is one of my favorites.