Your Reaction To Final Fantasy XIII - 2

Fair

Well, obviously I thought it was all me because you quoted my post. What else would I think? The point I was trying to make in all this is that I can't believe you think this isn't a weird sequence of replies:

"I like _____."

"So you like _____. Good for you. That doesn't mean we all should."

This makes no sense because I never said what anyone should or shouldn't do. That is my whole point. I repeat, it doesn't hurt my feelings if someone hates what I like. You might have thought that's what bothered me, but it wasn't something so stupid and simple as that. That's great that you don't like it, because our likes and dislikes are what make us...us. This is precisely why I've never said, "how could y'all not like it? It's great and y'all don't know what y'all are talking about but I do and that's all that matters and, etc..." But that's kinda what it feels like to have an opinion around here lately that doesn't agree with certain people. There's a right and a wrong way to reply to someone's opinions. Repeatedly trashing said opinions for the sake of trashing them, stepping on someone to make it feel like they are wrong for thinking the way they do, making it feel like other's opinions don't matter or are not valid is not really the way to go about it. Making snide remarks in an effort to belittle what others like isn't either. I'd like to believe it isn't so, but that's most definitely how it comes off sometimes. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm too nice. I dunno. I wasn't necessarily angry at you. Disappointed, maybe. It was never the fact that you don't like it. It's how you said it. No one deserves that sarcastic "good for you" stuff just for saying that they like something, and they definitely don't deserve to be accused of forcing their opinions on others just by saying they like something either, as your "that doesn't mean we all should..." stuff suggests (no one said you should or shouldn't do anything!!!)

Now, as far as this "new generation" of gamers thing, I am anything but. I happen to be the same age as you and have played many of the old final fantasy games long before XIII came out, so it's not like I don't know what "real" games are like or where you're coming from. I loved 4 and 8 and 10. Heck, I at least liked almost all of the ones I've ever played for different reasons. I didn't really like 7 all that much, but I totally respect that most everyone does. That's absolutely wonderful. You will never catch me going "so you liked it. Good for you. Does that mean we all should?" That kind of remark only ever makes sense when someone shoves their opinions down one's throat. Simply stating that you like something is not even close to this.

I can't explain what I specifically like about XIII. I was never good at explaining things like that. But I assure you my opinion of it has nothing to do with not knowing what old games are like. Like I said, I've liked past final fantasy games for different things. For me, battle system isn't everything. It's most of it, yes, but maybe I like the characters and storyline enough to compensate? Maybe it's the gorgeous graphics that reel me in. Maybe it's because I'm so busy with my life that sometimes I need a game that I can sit back and dare to be kind of lazy with and enjoy said characters, story, and visuals. Don't worry, I do get it. I've felt and said after many battles throughout XIII that I don't feel very accomplished. But if I want a lot of strategy, which I usually do, I look to 10 to give me that. And 10 is still my favorite. I like 13 when I'm feeling lazier. Heck, 8 didn't even have strategy (I just used attack and sometimes gf's throughout the whole game. I never used magic lest I diminish my stock that was junctioned!!!) So yeah, no abilities or choices or strategy. Just holding that x button down while I drew magic or attacked. But you know what, 8 is one of my favorites.

If you like X so much, then you should check out

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

and

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-viii/

Just, after watching all the flaws these two games have, I'm mystified as to why anyone likes them. In fact, if, after watching Spoony, you can tell us why you like VIII and X, then I'd be delighted.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like X so much, then you should check out

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

and

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-viii/

Just, after watching all the flaws these two games have, I'm mystified as to why anyone likes them. In fact, if, after watching Spoony, you can tell us why you like VIII and X, then I'd be delighted.

So dumb... has nothing to do with anything.

So dumb... has nothing to do with anything.

What the...It's a review, by a well known reviewer, who pointed out everything wrong with two Final Fantasy games here being discussed, and all you can say is "nothing to do with anything"? If you want to counter, go ahead, but please, either say you don't want to bother or come up with a better answer.

Ah, I think what he meant was that this thread has strayed way off-topic as this was supposed to be a thread about XIII-2. I am definitely mostly at fault, and I would like to extend my apologies for that.

I really don't consider it off-topic as people impressions of Final Fantasy XIII have and will affect their impression and reactions to Final Fantasy XIII-2. Chances are after the last several installments of the franchise being utter failures despite few people liking them, the vast majority of the fan base will have a lack of reaction towards XIII-2. As far as reviews, all the major review magazines and sites gave Final Fantasy XIII the worst grading of any game in the franchise. Out of 10 of them, the average rating was a 3.8 out of 10. The highest rating given by IGN.

Hell Final Fantasy XIII-2 might be the best game ever (unlikely) but after XIII I bet there will be quite a few who won't even bother with this installment. Sure as with anything there will be those who dislike it and those who do actually like it, but lets be honest, as a whole the fan base of the Final Fantasy series does stand by with the acknowledgment that at this rate the series will not last.

I myself will probably drop the series completely if Versus turns out to be a failure and at one point in time I was one of the biggest fans of the franchise.

I bought all the games, and even spent countless hours, days, and sleepless nights building what was at one time one of the bigger fan websites dedicated to the series. Big enough it got Square's attention and they have often contacted me personally regarding the site and even offered to give prizes if I held contests which I never bothered with, etc. Now that site is nothing more than an outdated mess that probably needs to simply die out as I have no inspiration or will to even want to update it.

To me personally, it seems like Square is doing little more than robbing fans of their money while they still can because they can no longer come up with anything new that works.

By off topic, what I meant was that Final Fantasy XIII and X have absolutely nothing to do with this thread. It would have made a lot more sense to just post those links in a X or XIII thread. That is all I meant.

Afraid I have to disagree with you there, friend. I can see your point about X, but this thread is titled "Your reaction to XIII-2", therefore FF XIII would be a legitemate point of discussion here. In future, please, don't just say "has nothing to do with anything", expand your response, otherwise myself and people like me will just ignore what you have to say.

By the way, did you watch Spoony's reviews? Have any counters to what he said?

I really don't consider it off-topic as people impressions of Final Fantasy XIII have and will affect their impression and reactions to Final Fantasy XIII-2. Chances are after the last several installments of the franchise being utter failures despite few people liking them, the vast majority of the fan base will have a lack of reaction towards XIII-2. As far as reviews, all the major review magazines and sites gave Final Fantasy XIII the worst grading of any game in the franchise. Out of 10 of them, the average rating was a 3.8 out of 10. The highest rating given by IGN.

Hell Final Fantasy XIII-2 might be the best game ever (unlikely) but after XIII I bet there will be quite a few who won't even bother with this installment. Sure as with anything there will be those who dislike it and those who do actually like it, but lets be honest, as a whole the fan base of the Final Fantasy series does stand by with the acknowledgment that at this rate the series will not last.

I myself will probably drop the series completely if Versus turns out to be a failure and at one point in time I was one of the biggest fans of the franchise.

I bought all the games, and even spent countless hours, days, and sleepless nights building what was at one time one of the bigger fan websites dedicated to the series. Big enough it got Square's attention and they have often contacted me personally regarding the site and even offered to give prizes if I held contests which I never bothered with, etc. Now that site is nothing more than an outdated mess that probably needs to simply die out as I have no inspiration or will to even want to update it.

To me personally, it seems like Square is doing little more than robbing fans of their money while they still can because they can no longer come up with anything new that works.

Oh, I meant that my bringing up 8 and 10 is a little off topic, not so much 13...

Anywho, I totally agree! I will be utterly disappointed if Versus ends up not being as good as it looks! I'm REALLY looking forward to it, and you know what happens when you have high expectations.

Back to XIII-2, though, what's up with Lightning's weird-ass armor? Does that even fit in with this world? It looks so out of place I laughed when I saw the trailer/screenshots.

Oh, I meant that my bringing up 8 and 10 is a little off topic, not so much 13...

Anywho, I totally agree! I will be utterly disappointed if Versus ends up not being as good as it looks! I'm REALLY looking forward to it, and you know what happens when you have high expectations.

Back to XIII-2, though, what's up with Lightning's weird-ass armor? Does that even fit in with this world? It looks so out of place I laughed when I saw the trailer/screenshots.

yeah, i have to agree with that one. i've already given up hope on XIII-2. i don't expect it to be much better than XIII given how soon it's coming out.

The future of the entire Final Fantasy series now lies on 2 games - Final Fantasy Type Zero and Final Fantasy Versus 13.

If even one of these games do well, it'll give Final Fantasy a new leash.

Going by the gameplay that Tetsuya Nomura has described, i have high hopes from it - actual moving around from cities instead of a world map, the return of the airship, Advent Children style battles and the ability to change characters mid-battle.

DONT DISAPPOINT US, SQUARE!!!

Lol, Type Zero?? Sounds.... Good. lol

If you heard of Final Fantasy Agito XIII... well it's that. Just they renamed the game. I believe it has a card-based battle system similar to Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories had but I may be wrong on that. I know all the pictures I have seen displayed cards though.

If you heard of Final Fantasy Agito XIII... well it's that. Just they renamed the game. I believe it has a card-based battle system similar to Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories had but I may be wrong on that.

According to the FF wikia :-

The battle system in the game is a new evolution of the "ATB Kai" system that was created by Takatsugu Nakazawa for Final Fantasy X-2, and later refined in Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-. Unlike Crisis Core, Type-0's combat is party-based. Instead of navigating through menus, actions are mapped directly to the face buttons for quick access. Nakazawa says he wants it to be the fastest version of ATB ever created. It also supports both Ad-hoc and Infrastructure multiplayer for up to three players.

Like Final Fantasy XII, the character has the option to choose the leader of their party, but it has differed by allowing them to change party members during actual gameplay. The characters who lead the party are the ones playable. Summons also appear in the game and play a role in the characters' growth, and they are said to be controllable as well, in the vein of Final Fantasy X's Aeons.

The structure of the game is mission-based. There are also supposed to be sub-objectives in battle to strive for. It is shown on the TGS 2010 trailer that the game will have a world map, and the player can ride a chocobo or fly an airship and there will be no random encounters and the monsters will roam around the world map. This new trailer also has also shown another change of the interface during gameplay. The trailer also shows that blood is drawn from an enemy whenever it is attacked.

Tabata also says that Type-0 is similar to The 3rd Birthday saying that while they are two different games in terms of content, the core of what the staff can do on PSP in terms of gameplay is similar between the two games.

I know all the pictures I have seen displayed cards though.

There's one character in the game who fights with cards.

Ace: A boy with tarot cards who is supposedly a key character. He was named "Card" in early footage, after his weapon of choice.

LMAO! First they named Garnet as "Dagger" and now this guy as "Card".

Afraid I have to disagree with you there, friend. I can see your point about X, but this thread is titled "Your reaction to XIII-2", therefore FF XIII would be a legitemate point of discussion here. In future, please, don't just say "has nothing to do with anything", expand your response, otherwise myself and people like me will just ignore what you have to say.

By the way, did you watch Spoony's reviews? Have any counters to what he said?

Yes, I do have a response. Duh! Anyone who has ever played the game already knows exactly what that guy pointed out. I know there are stupid parts in those games (I think I've played them, like, five times each), and I already make fun of those parts. Yes, they have stupid moments, but don't all games? It's not like a review from some guy I've never heard of is going to make me change my mind about two of my favorite games. So, yeah, that's pretty much it! Anything else?