Sony NGP is ALIVE (a.k.a) PSP2

Asch

Well, We were waiting for this for a really long time (atleat I was)

002.jpgMore pics here : http://www.engadget.com/photos/sony-ngp-detailed-hands-on/#3825728

Specs include a 5-inch touchscreen OLED display with 960 x 544 resolution, dual analog sticks (not nubs as on the current generation), 3G, WiFi, GPS, a rear-mounted touchpad, the same accelerometer / gyroscope motion sensing as in the PlayStation Move, an electronic compass, and cameras on both the front and back. Oh, and the CPU is described as "the most advanced" in its class.<<<<Confused about this<<<<<<

Hmm...life support for 3DS, anyone ?

Announced today in PlayStation meeting, among other few improvements in present series, I guess this time Sony played it right, taking over Nintendo's Dual Screen counterpart.

Well, according to me, their time was largely strategic to 3DS release dates, taking the base which was preparing for 3DS, and extending lifespan of present generation PSP.

What are your views on NGP ??

I was sold when I saw the dual analog sticks, which was my biggest complaint about the previous psp(the thing was plain uncomfortable)

The 4 core cpu and twin touch screen/cameras just blows me away, I wonder what the battery life will be on this thing haha.. hopefully more than 2 hourse lol XD

I was sold when I saw the dual analog sticks, which was my biggest complaint about the previous psp(the thing was plain uncomfortable)

The 4 core cpu and twin touch screen/cameras just blows me away, I wonder what the battery life will be on this thing haha.. hopefully more than 2 hourse lol XD

It would probably be about 1-2 hours less than the PSP-1000 on the second brightness level, which I think lasts for about 4-5 hours. The reasoning is due to the multiple CPUs and not much increase in battery life since then.

I don't see any clear mention to 4core processor [sell charts of ARM confirms that it might be really a 4core Cortex-A9 MPCore], although best thing would be a dual core arm based processor( I am happy with 4 cores also =P), and a coupled highend mobile gpu Series5XT (high probability [sGX543MP4 (four cores) 133M polygons/s, fill rates in excess of 4Gpixels/sec @200 MHz], you can now estimate the graphic quality).

About battery life, it is more or less disputed, they have now removed UMD, which gives a space advantage, also the size of die and components are smaller than psp increasing space further, which Sony can utilize to increase battery size.

About exclusion of UMD, why Nintendo excluded GBA Slot from DSI ?

The answer to this is the answer to the question in case of UMD I think, DSI no longer needed GBA titles to accelerate its growth so they removed it, PSP Go is the same example from Sony, they created a online library and changed the form factor of PSP.

the only reason I wont be picking this up is because the PSP/PS3 has never had any games I like. I'm better off with the 3DS it's even cheaper and has games I like. Neat system though wish it had stuff i can play.

Its cool and all but I agree with seirachan the games suck imo so im sticking to my DSi and 3DS.

About battery life, it is more or less disputed, they have now removed UMD, which gives a space advantage, also the size of die and components are smaller than psp increasing space further, which Sony can utilize to increase battery size.

Battery size has no bearing on the amount of time it can run the device. There are tiny batteries that can provide more power that larger ones. It depends on how they are made, not how big they are.

Battery size has no bearing on the amount of time it can run the device. There are tiny batteries that can provide more power that larger ones. It depends on how they are made, not how big they are.

True, it is more about the density of cells packed, but still, it also depends in what they decides to use in batteries, Li-Ion, or Li-Polymer , I have seen Sony (S-Ericsson to be precise) switching to Li-Polymer batteries which in regard has low discharge rate, also you cannot expect 1000 mAh battery to power a 4 core device, and here why size factor comes in, it is better to make large batteries with less densities, cause its cheaper to manufacture, Anyways I don't think Sony can manage to pull price-tag below ~300$ of 3DS with those specs their, unless they subsidize it like they did for PS3.

shoot i have 2 psp go's 1 ds and a dsi. i just bought the dsi so that i can play the new (pokemon black version) gane in a better quality than regular ds. and i will buy both the 3ds and psp2 or whatever is going to be called. i just hacked 1 of my psp go 3 days ago version 6.37 and the homebrews i've downloaded work on it.