Best First Person Shooter you ever played

DEATHxxx50bmg

Well, one FPS left quite an impression on me way back.

It's called Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

Now this isn't an ordinary FPS, it's based on one of the stories by Howard Lovecraft (and he wrote really sick stories, i must say). The plot has a major role in the game.

I liked the dark atmosphere, but even more that that i liked the injury system. You dont have a life bar and your health does not regenerate like in modern games (which is lame and annoying imo, the regeneration i mean), but every time youre shot or bitten you get an injury on your leg, arm or head, which affects your speed, aim, etc. Besides you lose blood gradually and color fades, the screen turns black and white as things get worse. First aid kits are not easy to find so you learn to play really careful and shoot accurately. The shooting is good, too, you use all the weapons from handgun to thompson all the time, even in the final episodes a handgun still can save your butt, and i like it.

The game's main problem though was outdated graphics and poor marketing. Apparently the game was released much later than it was supposed to. The studio that made it got closed shortly after, too.

P.S. copied my own response from this thread http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=8513

It's not a fav, it's just underrated in my opinion, i welcome first person shooters that are quite original in their setting

for me, it was Resistance : Retribution.

Even though it was a PSP game, i was able to use the controls very accurately to get in a bunch of alien headshots. also, it had these new variety of guns. they didn't all focus on shooting.

some were designed for crowd control, some for army warfare, some for alien warfare. there was this one gun that popped out a shield in front of you and only YOU could pass bullets through it, not vice versa for a while, so it came in handy when you got surrounded.

I liked the dark atmosphere, but even more that that i liked the injury system. You dont have a life bar and your health does not regenerate like in modern games (which is lame and annoying imo, the regeneration i mean), but every time youre shot or bitten you get an injury on your leg, arm or head, which affects your speed, aim, etc.

I agree, though i haven't played much FPS games that reminded me of SWAT 4, which i liked the most from such games i did play.