Current Anime Series You're Watching and your thoughts on it?

Koby

So... I've begun watching Spiral. The english dub of course. I've seen 4 episodes so far.

I've only seen 4 episodes... but...

DEAR GOD. THIS ANIME IS AMAZING.

It's like the Ace Attorney series in anime form. Makes me thankful that I found this series. I can't wait to see how the Blade Children mystery unravels!!

(In manga form of course because the anime doesn't cover all of the manga)

:happy:

So... I've begun watching Spiral. The english dub of course. I've seen 4 episodes so far.

It's like the Ace Attorney series in anime form. Makes me thankful that I found this series. I can't wait to see how the Blade Children mystery unravels!!

I love Spiral. The only issue is it abruptly ends without anything being concluded.

The whole 'blade children' mystery never even unravels.

I was lucky enough to buy the volume version box set for $30 about 4 years ago before the series with OOP and the price skyrocketed to several hundred bucks. IDK if the price ever came back down or not as I haven't checked.

I have always planned to eventually do my own encode of the show using the dvds I own.

I love Spiral. The only issue is it abruptly ends without anything being concluded.

Which is why I plan on reading the manga after the anime.

The only problem is I don't know what chapter of the manga the anime ends on.

Watched Episode 1 of Michiko & Hatchin on Adult Swim last night.

I don't get how it's "good" yet.

I finish what I start, so, I'll keep watching it. However, so far, I'm not impressed.

:sweat:

You should just download Shiro's encodes here instead of waiting on Adult Swim lol. They're fantastic quality.

I found it to be an enjoyable show. The story/setting was really refreshing and the animation was pretty damn good.

Shaman King (5/10 - Average)

The story is generic cliched shounen, but it's an older show so some of the tropes were before it became generic. The 4kids dub is laughable. Characters have silly accents that just sound stupid, swords are edited into wooden swords, etc... It doesn't help that Shaman King doesn't have any proper release out there either so the quality is terrible. Improperly deinterlaced, aliased into oblivion etc.. but that's beside the point; I should be talking about the series itself and not the quality of the releases.

Honestly the jokes are lame. The show doesn't even seem to want to attempt to take itself seriously. I don't know what it is about it though but something has stopped me from dropping it. I'm on 23 of 64 episodes currently.

Shaman King (5/10 - Average)

The story is generic cliched shounen, but it's an older show so some of the tropes were before it became generic. The 4kids dub is laughable. Characters have silly accents that just sound stupid, swords are edited into wooden swords, etc... It doesn't help that Shaman King doesn't have any proper release out there either so the quality is terrible. Improperly deinterlaced, aliased into oblivion etc.. but that's beside the point; I should be talking about the series itself and not the quality of the releases.

Honestly the jokes are lame. The show doesn't even seem to want to attempt to take itself seriously. I don't know what it is about it though but something has stopped me from dropping it. I'm on 23 of 64 episodes currently.

For me it's the nostalgia, It was one of my first anime that I knew was anime back when I was a kid.

The manga is alot better anyways, Viz's translations are uncut and faithful as far as I know.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to buy the volume version box set for $30 about 4 years ago before the series with OOP and the price skyrocketed to several hundred bucks. IDK if the price ever came back down or not as I haven't checked.

I have always planned to eventually do my own encode of the show using the dvds I own.

I started watching Spiral based off your guy's posts and IDK. I'm up to episode 5 and so far it feels like a poor man's Detective Conan/Case Closed.

None of the characters stand out as interesting, the art has that horrible early digi animation look to it, and the story seems like a carbon copy of DC's formula. You got a young genius that solves a new new murder every episode with a silly overarching mystery to get you to watch the next episode (blade children instead of Conan's kid problem). On top of that, what's the big deal with these "blade children"? I feel like the show keeps beating me over the head to try to get me to care, with no explanation whatsoever as to who they are.

Does it get better in the later episodes?

I started watching Spiral based off your guy's posts and IDK. I'm up to episode 5 and so far it feels like a poor man's Detective Conan/Case Closed.

None of the characters stand out as interesting, the art has that horrible early digi animation look to it, and the story seems like a carbon copy of DC's formula. You got a young genius that solves a new new murder every episode with a silly overarching mystery to get you to watch the next episode (blade children instead of Conan's kid problem). On top of that, what's the big deal with these "blade children"? I feel like the show keeps beating me over the head to try to get me to care, with no explanation whatsoever as to who they are.

I really enjoyed the whole show. Would have rated it better had it actually gone somewhere, but I did still give it an 8/10 although that was back when I hadn't seen nearly the amount of anime I have now and as such I went more lightly with my critique and rating. Again though I really enjoyed it, enough that I bought the dvd despite the series going no where... and even intended to encode it someday.

If you don't really like it within the first 5 episodes; you're probably not going to like it. If knowing what the blade children are is your primary reason for continuing; just know you'll have to read the manga for that as the anime never gets to that point sadly.

I've seen 16 episodes and I'm STILL in love with it. If you can't get into it then just stop. Sheesh.

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, this anime is just THE BEST.

• 2 weeks later...

Towa no Quon

On episode 4 now, which means I'm half-way through this 6 part "movie" series. I put that in quotation because technically it's not a movie considering it was never shown theatrically and it's only got a runtime of ~47 minutes which makes it just like two tv episodes in one. So in truth it's more or less just a 12 episode TV series that was never aired on TV and released with two episodes together over the course of six releases.

Anyhow onto my actual thoughts:

Part 1 was mostly forgettable. It's basically a Japanese X-MEN wannabe where people have a random power and there is a group that targets these people when they awaken and try to kill them; while one of the people with powers tries to save them and form of team of power users to help save more. The characters are pretty forgettable, the plot is unoriginal, etc.. Nothing really stands out for this show, it's just generic and average in every way.

Part 2 was just overall bad. Nothing much to say about it other than that. Had to force myself to finish it. However Part 3 was easily the strongest part of the first half and redeemed the show a bit. We finally get some background info on the main characters which gives them a little depth and finally gets you to care about them a little. Just what the show needed.

Hope 4-6 keep going in this regard; we'll see.

• Like 1