The War of the Consoles!

Koby

What is your Favorite Video Game Console??  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite Video Game Console??

• Atari 2600/5200/7800
    • NES/Famicom {Nintendo Entertianment System}
    • SNES/Super Famicom
    • Nintendo 64
    • Nintendo Gamecube
    • Nintendo Wii
    • Playstation 1
    • Playstation 2
    • Playstation 3
    • Xbox Original
    • Xbox 360
    • Sega Master System
    • Sega Genesis
    • Sega Saturn
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Gameboy {Original/Color/Advanced}
    • Nintendo DS/3DS
    • PSP {Playstation Portable}
    • Sega Game Gear
    • PC

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This choice for me was very difficult. I went with Xbox 360. However, PC, PS2, N64, original Gameboy and PS3 followed very close behind in that order. It really just depends on which generation were talking about for me. My 1st system ever was NES. At that time, it was really fun, but didn't hold my young mind very long. Then I got the original Gameboy ... this is probably how I got "into gaming" ... mainly due to the original Pokemon games I guess xD. After that I got the N64. This is where I just got plain addicted to video games. Then PS2 which I played WAAAY too much. I seriously went through 3 PS2s. They weren't bad models. I just played that thing at an absurd rate. After Ps2, I got Gamecube and then the 1st Xbox. They were fun, but I had WAY more epic memories with PS2. Then Xbox 360 was the next one. After that, I bought the Wii then PS3. I have almost as many games for 360 as I do for all my consoles combined. Besides the 360's large library, there's so much to do with it. PS3 claims to do more .. and it does .. BUT the functionality/reliability is where it suffers in my opinion. ALL 360 games have the custom music option. ALLLLL!! This is a big deal to me because game music loop can be pleasant, but gets old very fast for me even if I really like the game's OST. Xbox 360 also (for me anyway) seems to have a better sound quality. I'll watch some anime I downloaded with a PS3 and the characters sound waaay more high pitched compared to when I play it on my 360. It might be just my PS3 .. I'm not sure. Also the music on my 360 always sounds less staticy. I also perfer the original 360 controller over ANY controller out there. To be fair though, I'll admit PS3 has some good traits too. Hey, free online gaming is always nice (though 50$ a year is like nothing imo xD). I don't need a battery recharger for a PS3 controller. The PS3 does it for me with ease. Though, I'm not that into HD graphics, but the PS3 games do look great in terms of visuals! No question. The Wii .. besides Brawl and the Zelda games .. it really disappointed me. PC was my 2nd choice just because of modding the Elder Scrolls series :)

Hard one to narrow down, honestly. I think the old NES deck would be my all time favorite platform, it's the one system I keep coming back to after countless years. After that, xbox360 takes second place and SNES narrows out third. Other honorable mentions include Turbografix16, Genesis, PS1 & Dreamcast.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's between the SNES and the Gamecube. SNES was the first console I ever played, and is home to Zelda: ALttP. But I think Gamecube wins out for me... It was the first console I alone owned and it was fantastic. Smash Bros. Melee, Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime. I'm REALLY suprised the Gamecube didn't do so well with all the 1st rate games that came out for it. The only thing missing on the Gamecube was a good Final Fantasy game (wasn't really a fan of Crystal Chronicles...)

Had to go with SNES since it hosted my favourite game originally (Chrono Trigger) :P

If we count backwards compatibility, then PS3 would follow, then PS2. Otherwise probably PSX (what can I say? It was the console that introduced me to the awesome Lunar games.), with 3 and 2 tying for third.

It's a really hard decision for me. I really love the SNES, N64, and even the GBC, but I have to give it to the PS2 just because the library of good PS2 games is SO HUGE. Seriously, a few friends and I went through and tried to list every really good Gamecube game and we came up with a number like 37 or something. It took a long time to do but was a fun exercise. When we finished we started rattling off PS2 games for fun and quickly went over 50. There's just tons of really really good PS2 games.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 months later...

It's pretty silly, to be honest. A console is only ever as good as its library, and for the most part there isn't any reason that a game should be exclusive to a device outside of licensing agreements. At this point the consoles all have the same basic controller, and there's actually no reason why they can't all accept every single USB controller type except for stubbornness on the part of the developers. The only device which provides a truly unique experience which can't be easily replaced by adapting controller schemes is the Nintendo DS lineage.