Gay Rights?

Koby

Do you support gay marriage?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support gay marriage?

The ignorance show in this thread is REALLY sad.

For all those who say 'it's a choice'.

Go out and bang someone of the same sex tonight.

Tell us how 'easy' it is.

I just lolled all over my keyboard. But i did meet some one who and decided that they were interested in straight people as well. quote they"discovered"

There's just one thing I don't understand about gays(especially men). They have feelings for another man, why do some of those men act like chicks O.o

I mean, how does that work? I don't get

It's like in a gay marriage, one has to be the husband and one has to be the wife, even though they are both males. That's just stupid.

The ignorance show in this thread is REALLY sad.

For all those who say 'it's a choice'.

Go out and bang someone of the same sex tonight.

Tell us how 'easy' it is.

I just lolled all over my keyboard. But i did meet some one who and decided that they were interested in straight people as well. quote they"discovered"

Some people, the lucky ones, are bisexual - it happens.

I'm a heterosexual, but thought I was a homosexual, until I actually DATED my same sex.

It...it didn't feel right.

So, I went back to the opposite sex.

Hell, SOME people are asexual.

Which is probably the easiest thing to be.

XD

There's just one thing I don't understand about gays(especially men). They have feelings for another man, why do some of those men act like chicks O.o

I mean, how does that work? I don't get

It's like in a gay marriage, one has to be the husband and one has to be the wife, even though they are both males. That's just stupid.

Some males/females are just have more estrogen/testosterone than the norm.

It's like asking why tomboys are they way they are.

'Gay' marriage isn't always like that.

Sure, there's usually a 'dominate' personality, but that's true in 'straight' marriage as well.

I leave this topic for 2 days and those against gay people are posting the most moronic stuff i've ever seen...the only one who is right on gay rights are those who are gay. I'm sorry but this has to be said. Those who do not think we should be allowed to have those rights need there rights taken away. That means you should have your marriage disbanded and your kids taken away.

Edited by TRUNKSvsCELL

• 1 month later...

I have a simple question for those that are against gay rights because they believe on religious grounds, and/or believe it is a choice.

What religion you believe in, or not believe in is a right most western societies consider a basic fundamental protected civic right, correct?  It is what enables you religious types to be so open and vocal about your beliefs without fear of violence against you, right? 

In other words, religious belief is not something one is born with, but rather a choice one makes, or has made for you by a parent until you are old enough to decide for yourself whether you agree with that choice and then you either confirm it or refute it and go a different way, as is your right, correct?

Therefore, even if alternate sexual orientation is a choice and not something by nature (and I am not actually saying this, I am setting this as a parameter for this question, not as a statement of belief of reality that I have) what does it being a choice have anything to do with whether it is something deserving of civil rights?  If your right to believe your religious view is a choice you are granted protection, why then is it any different for the choice of who you love and want to spend the rest of your life with any different when it comes to gender preference?

When you can provide a rational reasoned answered rooted in logic (as opposed to faith, which I am not knocking here, simply ruling out as an acceptable parameter since we are talking about civic rights in open/democratic societies where religious doctrines are not the basis for deciding what is acceptable and what is not on the secular side, that render under Caesar bit and all that) I will be interested to see it, because I have yet to see one that makes any actual sense, or rather logically consistent.

As to the actual topic, I have already made my views on this clear in the past in this thread, one can search my older posts if one needs to for that.  I am simply trying to point out that this whole argument about whether sexual orientation is a choice or not is irrelevant to the argument as to whether it deserves recognition as a basic civic right in a secular society, which is what western democracies are supposedly after all,especially the USA with their separation of Church and State aka First Amendment.  I am simply showing the inherent irrelevance of this argument to the topic itself.

For the record, I believe that sexual orientation is a fluid thing with a broad range.  I think most humans are inherently bisexual, I think both extremes of straight and gay are the minority, but that many in between tend to strongly favour one over the other and therefore simply operate/see themselves that way, which is fine by me.  I also think that nature plays a stronger role than nurture in this, but that nurture can have some influence too, especially for those not hard wired to that absolute one gender or the other.  A lot of this "icky" crap is quite possibly because one is taught that from an early age, rather than truly inherent, and it is hard to tell the difference between the two as most humans find it difficult to completely shed that which we learn in childhood, especially that which we learned to the point of it becoming automatic in our thinking/natures/reactions. 

I'm not saying all of it is of course, I'm just saying that until we live in a society where sexual orientation is treated with indifference it will be hard to know until from the beginning of life to the end everyone is accepting of it as a valid state of being.  Only then will it be possible to start really telling the difference, because it has been shown that the prejudices we absorb in childhood do have a tendency of sticking with us even when we think otherwise, this is a long established fact.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For the record, I believe that sexual orientation is a fluid thing with a broad range.  I think most humans are inherently bisexual, I think both extremes of straight and gay are the minority, but that many in between tend to strongly favour one over the other and therefore simply operate/see themselves that way, which is fine by me.  I also think that nature plays a stronger role than nurture in this, but that nurture can have some influence too, especially for those not hard wired to that absolute one gender or the other.  A lot of this "icky" crap is quite possibly because one is taught that from an early age, rather than truly inherent, and it is hard to tell the difference between the two as most humans find it difficult to completely shed that which we learn in childhood, especially that which we learned to the point of it becoming automatic in our thinking/natures/reactions. 

I know I'm late, but love your post.

Fun little tid bit It's been said that's a woman's arousal patterns are bisexual versus men's, but we women might have something else in the brain that determine sexual orientation. Interesting, but not totally conclusive. Also the everyone being inherently bisexual is a Freudian theory, a lot of Freud's theories have been shown as wrong and right, albeit they're incredible important, I wouldn't put too much trust in those theories as their as old as the book itself, and generally psychiatric studies themselves are kind of a mixed bag in of itself. 

As myself, being bisexual, I'm biased. Gays should have the same rights, and I'm honestly surprised about the amount of uh, close mindedness. I've always seen online forums as being more liberal, guess I can't always be right I guess.

If someone took every rule from the Bible as fact and as an argument, they'd be out of touch with reality. There's so many things in there that detail that you should stone someone if they do x thing, you shouldn't eat shellfish and a bunch of other lunacy. Stop cherry picking shit, either treat it all as indisputable rule book, or use it as a really strange book of morals and ethics (atleast.. the New Testament, the Old Testament is 100% fucked up). I know a shit ton of christians and not one, that I know of, treat the Bible as fact, they know that it can't all be trusted or taken literally. Maybe it's because I'm from Canada, but it's kinda silly. 

As for people claiming that marriage is a religious institution, well, yeah, it kinda is, but it means much more. People from all other creeds wed, atheists, agnostics, Christians, muslims, islamists, sikhs they all fucking marry. It's not only part of the law to recognize a marriage between two people, but for two people marrying it's about being with that person for the rest of your life. It symbolizes a pact of love, not to show god, but to show each other. Let's not count in that the idea of marriage is already fucked because of divorce numbers, but almost EVERYONE gets married.

It's not even like being gay is contagious, or really bad. It's not, it just changes what sex you love, that's it, it doesn't effect you in any way. The only way it'd effect other people is if someone doesn't know if it's acceptable to come out, and then someone they know comes out, then they start thinking that it might be okay to come out with them or w/e. Or if someone is extremely insecure about their own sexuality and feel the need to belittle someone who is openly gay. 

Congrats on the US for making the first steps on being part of the real world, you still have a ways to go, but congrats none the less. Too bad you have some real ignorant people living in your country.

Edited by Natalie
  • Like 1

As myself, being bisexual, I'm biased. Gays should have the same rights, and I'm honestly surprised about the amount of uh, close mindedness. I've always seen online forums as being more liberal, guess I can't always be right I guess.

Congrats on the US for making the first steps on being part of the real world, you still have a ways to go, but congrats none the less. Too bad you have some real ignorant people living in your country.

Being openly bi myself, as a bi male for over thirty years now I hear that.  Mind you the city I live in, the one I was born and raised in was one of the most gay friendly places in Canada despite being a smaller city, likely because we were also a port city.  If you search out my comments in this forum you will find I have also dealt with more than a little problems with those one expected to be more supportive, for me though it was being called a traitor because I refused to admit being gay when I wasn't to other gay men that really got to me.  I have also alas in life found that many people that would claim to be liberal are when push comes to shove much less so than they want others, or even themselves to think of them, but that also is alas human nature.

As for the US and the ignorant people comment you make, given we are almost a decade into PM Harper's tenure as PM we are hardly in a position to be casting stones in our lovely multilayered silicate dwelling, true?  Granted Harper has avoided the full bore attempt to repeal this because of how politically toxic it would be (in some ways it is even more so now for his side than the abortion issue, which is saying something) but his and his party's views on our orientation and our rights has always been most clear.  Granted, I ended up marrying a woman (who is also bi as it happens), but I could have just as easily ended up with a male partner/spouse (if I could have found one that suited me who wasn't a pig, alas I tended to agree with too many of my female friends about how far too many of my gender were good for playing with, not so good for serious commitments/relationships...sigh) and wanting to be married to him so this was always an issue close to my heart long before I entered into the state of marriage.

I'll grant the US has a lot more of the more shall we say hard core foes thanks to their higher percentage of overtly religious, and fairly fundamentalist type religious at that, citizens, who have a strong grip within/on the GOP in particular.  I'll also agree that they tend to be more openly confrontational than ours tend to be, but that is as much basic cultural difference in how we each express ourselves.  In the end though I have found much deeper rooted homophobia within our culture than I ever expected, it even cost me my one sibling between her and her husband's views as it turned out, and I grew up unaware of her own issues with this, she hid it form all of us, my parents included, who are as gay supportive as two straights get, let alone two old school Irish Catholics.  Hells my godfather was gay, and they knew that when they made him so when I was born in the late 60s, that should say it all, yet somehow they ended up with a daughter who turned out to have stronger homophobic feelings than any of us ever saw within her prior to when she married the second tie around someone of strong religious values.

We thought at first she was deferring to her husband until she made a comment that she had to tell him about my orientation because he had a right to know because of his kids. In other words that old canard about how we bi/gay males in particular are somehow inherently dangerous (read pedophile) to kids.  That was a shocker to hear, let me tell you.  So I guess while we may be less confrontational as a society than the Americans with this issue it has been my sad experience that we are far less evolved in this than we like to think, even though we reached legal gay marriage far sooner than the US.  I am not just basing this on my sibling either, but she is sadly an all too good example of what I am talking about it still being there if not as blatant as we see from our American neighbours.  Whether we are talking online or offline people are people first, and one of the advantages for many about the online world is the sense of anonymity where they can be more ugly than they would be comfortable with when it attaches to their real life identity.  So it is not surprising to me that we see such crap even in what one might expect to be more liberal forums, although to be fair Kametsu has many bi/gay users too, as a read of the entire thread does show, and overall the site is not one that is tolerant of abusive behaviour whatever the reason including sexual identity and orientation, although they let a bit more leeway happen in this thread because it is the topic itself,

Anyway, welcome aboard, always nice to meet a fellow Canuck around here.

• Like 1

Honestly, at the end of the day, as long as a gay doesn't try to make me change my sexuality, I'm perfectly fine with them.

Granted I still don't like the thought of being gay(or bi-sexual[hopefully nobody will say "you should give bi-sexuality a try"])

I do hate the gay lifestyle(having sex with people of the same gender and so on). It has nothing to do with religion, nor was I taught that at an early age. I will say I have experimented(you get the point) while I was younger with both male and female(without my parents knowledge obviously). I ended up preferring the latter.

So no, I do not believe that we are inherently bi-sexual. As for the topic, again I stand by my conviction not to support gay marraiges. That doesn't mean gays are not being married. As for gay rights, well, gays are human beings. Animals have rights, and human lives are much more precious than animal lives. If you support animal rights but don't support people of a certain catagory to have human rights then you are on my hate list.

Gays deserve human rights as much the next person(who's straight). I only mentioned not supporting gay marraiges because..... I'm biased in that regard. I do not support the idea, but who can really deny these people that right? I certaintly can't.

Being openly bi myself, as a bi male for over thirty years now I hear that.  Mind you the city I live in, the one I was born and raised in was one of the most gay friendly places in Canada despite being a smaller city, likely because we were also a port city.  If you search out my comments in this forum you will find I have also dealt with more than a little problems with those one expected to be more supportive, for me though it was being called a traitor because I refused to admit being gay when I wasn't to other gay men that really got to me.  I have also alas in life found that many people that would claim to be liberal are when push comes to shove much less so than they want others, or even themselves to think of them, but that also is alas human nature.

As for the US and the ignorant people comment you make, given we are almost a decade into PM Harper's tenure as PM we are hardly in a position to be casting stones in our lovely multilayered silicate dwelling, true?  Granted Harper has avoided the full bore attempt to repeal this because of how politically toxic it would be (in some ways it is even more so now for his side than the abortion issue, which is saying something) but his and his party's views on our orientation and our rights has always been most clear.  Granted, I ended up marrying a woman (who is also bi as it happens), but I could have just as easily ended up with a male partner/spouse (if I could have found one that suited me who wasn't a pig, alas I tended to agree with too many of my female friends about how far too many of my gender were good for playing with, not so good for serious commitments/relationships...sigh) and wanting to be married to him so this was always an issue close to my heart long before I entered into the state of marriage.

I'll grant the US has a lot more of the more shall we say hard core foes thanks to their higher percentage of overtly religious, and fairly fundamentalist type religious at that, citizens, who have a strong grip within/on the GOP in particular.  I'll also agree that they tend to be more openly confrontational than ours tend to be, but that is as much basic cultural difference in how we each express ourselves.  In the end though I have found much deeper rooted homophobia within our culture than I ever expected, it even cost me my one sibling between her and her husband's views as it turned out, and I grew up unaware of her own issues with this, she hid it form all of us, my parents included, who are as gay supportive as two straights get, let alone two old school Irish Catholics.  Hells my godfather was gay, and they knew that when they made him so when I was born in the late 60s, that should say it all, yet somehow they ended up with a daughter who turned out to have stronger homophobic feelings than any of us ever saw within her prior to when she married the second tie around someone of strong religious values.

We thought at first she was deferring to her husband until she made a comment that she had to tell him about my orientation because he had a right to know because of his kids. In other words that old canard about how we bi/gay males in particular are somehow inherently dangerous (read pedophile) to kids.  That was a shocker to hear, let me tell you.  So I guess while we may be less confrontational as a society than the Americans with this issue it has been my sad experience that we are far less evolved in this than we like to think, even though we reached legal gay marriage far sooner than the US.  I am not just basing this on my sibling either, but she is sadly an all too good example of what I am talking about it still being there if not as blatant as we see from our American neighbours.  Whether we are talking online or offline people are people first, and one of the advantages for many about the online world is the sense of anonymity where they can be more ugly than they would be comfortable with when it attaches to their real life identity.  So it is not surprising to me that we see such crap even in what one might expect to be more liberal forums, although to be fair Kametsu has many bi/gay users too, as a read of the entire thread does show, and overall the site is not one that is tolerant of abusive behaviour whatever the reason including sexual identity and orientation, although they let a bit more leeway happen in this thread because it is the topic itself,

Anyway, welcome aboard, always nice to meet a fellow Canuck around here.

Uh, that's a big pill to swallow, lol.

Oh hey! I've gotten some silly offensive comments by gays regarding my bisexuality, they're pretty enjoyable. "Not gay enough", "You shouldn't be able to participate in pride", "Bis are too wishy washy". I live in Edmonton, which I'd regard as pretty liberal in my experience but there's close mindedness everywhere you go and from everyone, weird shit yo.

I think we have a right to comment, the Conservative party may oppose gay marriage and abortion rights, they haven't done it (I don't think they plan to either), it's just a position they have that they aren't going to change. Well abortion rights they might actually do if they get re-elected (I fucking hope not) but gay rights I don't think they'll ever do. It's too unpopular to get rid of them, and gay marriage rights was enacted in '07, it's too soon to really change it.

That being said, Harper is a giant fuckwad who should've been charged for his political rigging and actually have some competition from parties. God, it's so stupid that he got re-elected last term, I voted Libs even though I hated the Liberal rep, atleast he wasn't Harper. I'm voting NDP, since Trudeau is wishy washy and Harper is a asshole. I hate Harper, he's the least Canadian, Canadian. 

There's close minded people all the time. I'm married to a man, and I have a girlfriend, her parents don't know and we're going to come out pretty soon, her mom is pretty bigotted so we don't know how it'll go. Especially considering I'm married. No matter where you are, I tend to think online people are fairly open since most of the users are a younger generation, which tend to be sort of liberal. From my experience a lot of Canadians are open to the idea of gays and stuff like that, at least from Edmonton to Northern Alberta (not sure about Calgary and the like). For the 'texas of Canada', that's pretty neat. 

So no, I do not believe that we are inherently bi-sexual. As for the topic, again I stand by my conviction not to support gay marraiges. That doesn't mean gays are not being married. As for gay rights, well, gays are human beings. Animals have rights, and human lives are much more precious than animal lives. If you support animal rights but don't support people of a certain catagory to have human rights then you are on my hate list.

Gays deserve human rights as much the next person(who's straight). I only mentioned not supporting gay marraiges because..... I'm biased in that regard. I do not support the idea, but who can really deny these people that right? I certaintly can't.

I don't think we are either. There's not much to prove that. 

?? I don't understand your track of thinking, sooooo you're indifferent to gays getting married, but you're against it? It's because.. you're not gay? Elaborate for me please.. I don't get it.

It's actually simple to understand. Support is what you give to someone(or something) if they(or it) are in need of your consent, your approval or devotion. If my friend get's married to his/her own gender, I will not support his decision nor the idea of gay marraige as a whole.

Denying is refusing to give someone something, like denying someone basic human rights. I cannot deny people the right to get married(no matter who they are, or at least I choose not to if I do have the power).

Since this is English these meanings can be used in a number of ways, but this is how I used those words to give my view on this matter.

?? I don't understand your track of thinking, sooooo you're indifferent to gays getting married, but you're against it? It's because.. you're not gay? Elaborate for me please.. I don't get it.

There are some possibilities to your confusion. Are you confused that my not being gay is the reason that I do not support it? Or are you confused that I am both indifferent and against gay marraige? Or are you confused that it's the reason that my not being gay makes me both indifferent and against gay marraige? Or are you just confused that I am indifferent, againsts gay marriage and I am not gay?

It's actually simple to understand. Support is what you give to someone(or something) if they(or it) are in need of your consent, your approval or devotion. If my friend get's married to his/her own gender, I will not support his decision nor the idea of gay marraige as a whole.

Denying is refusing to give someone something, like denying someone basic human rights. I cannot deny people the right to get married(no matter who they are, or at least I choose not to if I do have the power).

Since this is English these meanings can be used in a number of ways, but this is how I used those words to give my view on this matter.

There are some possibilities to your confusion. Are you confused that my not being gay is the reason that I do not support it? Or are you confused that I am both indifferent and against gay marraige? Or are you confused that it's the reason that my not being gay makes me both indifferent and against gay marraige? Or are you just confused that I am indifferent, againsts gay marriage and I am not gay?

I'm confused because of the wording or reasoning. Or maybe both? I understand being indifferent to it, and being supporting it, but I don't get why you're still against it? I have no idea, I feel like I'm doing some weird mental gymnastics lol.

Like you won't deny a gay person from their right to marriage but you're still against it? I thinks that's where you're getting at. So.. Why are you still against the idea? I'm honestly just curious.

I'm confused because of the wording or reasoning. Or maybe both? I understand being indifferent to it, and being supporting it, but I don't get why you're still against it? I have no idea, I feel like I'm doing some weird mental gymnastics lol.

Yes I can see that you're confused. I never said I am indifferent, it may seem to you that I'm indifferent towards gay marraige but I'm not.

I am against the concept of it. Gay's being married is not something I'm willing to accept/support. I am against it.

That does not mean I can or have the power to stop gays from doing it. So, I can't deny them that right. Even right now, there might be some gay person getting married. Can I stop it? No. Do I even know that person? No. If I did, will I still be able to stop them from doing it? No.

Back to the point, I think what you are really asking me is why I don't support it. Because I don't like the gay lifestyle(gay marraige being part of it). If I was bi-sexual or gay I probably would support it, in fact I have no doubt. But since I'm not, I choose not to like it and support it. Biased, maybe. But it's like you said, you're biased because you're bi-sexual.

If I was say, an atheist, I would not support religion nor the concept of God. That doesn't mean I can stop other people from having a religion and worshipping God. Nor would I want to, I'm the type of person that may not like something but I'm not willing to stop it or stop other people from liking it or supporting it. And it is the same logic I use with gay marraige.

Yes I can see that you're confused. I never said I am indifferent, it may seem to you that I'm indifferent towards gay marraige but I'm not.

I am against the concept of it. Gay's being married is not something I'm willing to accept/support. I am against it.

That does not mean I can or have the power to stop gays from doing it. So, I can't deny them that right. Even right now, there might be some gay person getting married. Can I stop it? No. Do I even know that person? No. If I did, will I still be able to stop them from doing it? No.

Back to the point, I think what you are really asking me is why I don't support it. Because I don't like the gay lifestyle(gay marraige being part of it). If I was bi-sexual or gay I probably would support it, in fact I have no doubt. But since I'm not, I choose not to like it and support it. Biased, maybe. But it's like you said, you're biased because you're bi-sexual.

If I was say, an atheist, I would not support religion nor the concept of God. That doesn't mean I can stop other people from having a religion and worshipping God. Nor would I want to, I'm the type of person that may not like something but I'm not willing to stop it or stop other people from liking it or supporting it. And it is the same logic I use with gay marraige.

Oh, okay, I get it -ish. Got it, thank youuuuuuuuuuu.

Oh, okay, I get it -ish.

get it - ish huh, well better than nothing. Or unless, you didn't get it, but trying to be nice. Oh wait "Got it, thank youuuuuuuuuuu". No problem Nat

I might be straight, but I never seem to give straight answers.

Still a tinsy confused but I won't prod, I know you don't like that.