What display do you use to watch anime?

qazwsx1

I am curious to know what display (phone, TV, monitor) you use to watch anime as well as your general thoughts as to your experience, especially for those with computer monitors, as well as any future upgrades you are planning. If possible include the exact model numbers.

To start off, I use:

1. Samsung Galaxy S4 (AMOLED) 2014

Mostly use, enjoy watching, although sometimes its a bit over saturated.

2. Dell Inspiron N5050 (low quality TN) 2013

I try to avoid.

3. Samsung Syncmaster 2033SW (TN LED) (possible upgrade to Dell U2414H? IPS) Not great display especially with 1600x900p resolution. Hoping to upgrade to u2414h as a monitor/tv replacement.

3. Sony Bravia KDL-32V5500 (High quality LED) 2009ish (possible upgrade to Dell U2414H? IPS)

Hardly use, mostly for ps3 and anime bluray movies. Would like to get rid it and try combining with u2414h, as a pc gaming/console gaming/video watching display, though not many reviews on how anime looks on it.

I currently have a Dell S2716DG connected to my computer. It's a 2560x1440 27" TN display that's really meant for gaming more than anything. I occasionally watch anime on it, but most of the time my movie/series viewing is done on the Sony 1080p TV in the living room since it has much better color accuracy and image uniformity. 

I would be less concerned about comments regarding how anime looks on a particular display, and focus on the real world results of response time, color accuracy, backlight bleed/flickering, contrast, ect. A quality display that is decently calibrated is going to provide a nice image regardless of whether the content is an Anime, Cartoon, Video Game, Live Action Movie, or your Desktop Environment.

If anyone is aware of any websites that do extensive in-depth testing and reviews of displays that equals/exceeds TFT Central's I'd love to hear about them. As far as I know, no one reviews PC displays as well as they do. 

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

I'm not sure where you stand regarding your knowledge of displays, but if you find yourself not understanding something in a review then you should reference it in their specifications section.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/specs.htm

I've been using this website for years to decide on what panels to purchase for myself and others. You may have already been aware of that site as well, but for those who aren't, there you go. ^_^

I use my tv mainly as it has the ability to jump to 23/24p which is very good for anime to both get rid of motion judder and make play back smooth. 

No anime is made at 60hz so if your tv/monitor has the ability to change down to 23/24p do it for watching (there is a setting in Madvr if you are on pc to automatically do this for you and restore to 60hz when done watching).

Edited by (AC)
  • Like 1

23' Asus VX238h 1ms screen over here. There is a generic LG 23' to the left of it and an HP 25' above it that I use as extra screen real estate (Discord, IRC, Aegisub etc). Been really impressed with the quality and dynamic range it has. Granted there probably is heaps of better ones out there now, but I'm happy with it until it dies.

• 1 month later...

Nowadays (Since Late 2016 or Early 2017): PC/Monitor. Asus VP239H-P 1080p IPS Monitor

Before TV (Via PS3/PS4): Like a 40'' something another Emerson 1080p TV

TV has been swapped since a month or two ago don't know the details though. It's some Sony TV that's a bit smaller. Maybe like 30'' something. I haven't been using the TV so my sister wanted it since it was bigger and put her TV in it's place.

I exclusively watch from the computer nowadays. Although I might have a blue moon where I watch on TV. Last time I did was January 2017. I had caught a cold and was stuck in bed, so I ended up using my PS4 and watching a anime (Dragon Drive I think was the name) to pass the time.

Future Plans (Some point this year, hopefully with new build I'm planning): 32'' 4K IPS/HDR Monitor like this for example.

Also plan to add another 1080p Monitor (Likely another VP239H-P but I might get 2 wholely different monitors, not sure yet.) I'd probably watch from the 1080p Monitor unless it's actually a 4K release though. The 4K monitor is for gaming, not buying it for anime consumption. If 720p upscales to 4K well though, then I'd watch on the 4K Monitor. (I don't usually get 1080p due to notable size difference)

Another future (probably much further out though) plan would be getting a media box or mini pc that I could use. That along with a large external (or large internal if possible in the media box/mini pc) to store media and I'd be able to comfortably enjoy on the TV as well if I want to without limitations. Not worried about it right now though, that's far down the line.

Edited by RyanEsau

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...