Is there a game you re-play every year?

BizarreJoe

So. I'm weird and every so often I get the overwhelming need to play a game again, sometimes for a while, sometimes to completion. But there are games that I always end up playing AT LEAST once a year. Do you have games that you play once a year?

Mine are:

-Final Fantasy 7: I'm starting to hate Final Fantasy 7, not for any merit of it's own, but because of the overwhelmingly positive response to it. FF7 is treated as the pinnacle of what a FF game should be and thats for no other reason than "It was my first Final Fantasy". My first was final fantasy 8 and even then I could see it for the garbage fire that it was. FF7 isn't a garbage fire, but it was a mistranslated mess with one too many bits cutted out for time.  But still, it serves as a reminder that an overbearing fanbase doesn't mean that the game itself is bad. In fact its really fun to play. 

-Fallout 3: I love open world games, and this one just happens to be one of the most moddable ones, essentially making it a game that I can play ad infinitum. Usually the only reason I uninstall it is because i need more space in my hilariously small Hard Drive and normally i have like 20GBs on mods of this game.

-Final fantasy 6: I'm 23 years old, I played this game for the first time when i was 13. I've played it to completion over 26 times. Yo do the math. 

-Turok and Turok 2: I count them together because they're really similar,  but I play them because of the same reason. They're fun. A kind of fun that FPS games forgot about a long ass time ago.

-Seiken Densetsu 3 (translated rom): Can you tell that I love Squaresoft games? Anyways, the character combinations in this game make it really entertaining and challenging, so i get a kick out of trying each one every once in a while.

-Steamworld dig: I've played this game thrice, every time i play it, i just finish it in one sitting. At a leisurely pace the game is like six hours. Six hours of pure fun that I don't mind repeating.

So, THose are some games I usually replay whenever I get a craving, do you have any?

• Like 1

how many knights of the round is your record? mine's 6 (2 per char). and i think i had 3 master summons as well, so basically 9. sadly save is on psx like 10 years ago. gotta do this again on steam at some point xD but on pc farming is gonna be very tedious. 

on psx i was watching movies on tv and only doing cycles  till i encountered combat. and i had psx hooked on my stereo to hear sfx. when i heard fanfare pressed button to leave xp screens and then circles again.

combat thanks to sneak attack was pretty much on auto-mode.

i think reached 200 hrs~ in that playthrough. last fight lasted somewhere around 2 mins 

999 hp 9999 ap on everyone, final attack with knights of the round and another final atack with phoenix, on everyone .

for this to work final attack with phoenix should be 2nd  after kotr in your gear. or it triggers first and 2nd final attack wont work. i was surprised when i realized they even thought such complex combinations

Edited by sfaxt

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not quite once every year. But I've played through Portal about ten times now, and its sequel another handful.
I have trouble getting a lot of my favourite classic games to run reliably on newer systems, so I'm hoping the source engine bucks the trend and holds out for longer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm usually the "100% and put behind me" kind as well, but there are two games that come back frequently:

-Sonic R. It's fun and quick to unlock everything from scratch, and then you have a victory lap as Super Sonic.

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles! That's just plain kinetic goodness with sweet tunes.

I wonder if Sonic Mania will join those two in the future...

Mass Effect Trilogy (might add Andromeda to that). Every. Single. Year. I'll be going through my desktop backgrounds and just see one from the game and be like, "Yup, it's time." All other games go on hold and I'll play the entirety of the series through just a little bit different than the last time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 11:34 AM, JimDaddy said:

Mass Effect Trilogy (might add Andromeda to that). Every. Single. Year. I'll be going through my desktop backgrounds and just see one from the game and be like, "Yup, it's time." All other games go on hold and I'll play the entirety of the series through just a little bit different than the last time.

I don't replay them that often, but I do enjoy the ME games a lot. If i had any money I would probably buy the trilogy. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Catar changed the title to Is there a game you re-play every year?