Netflix Teases Live-Action Death Note Trailer

thisisatrial

Netflix just showed off its trailer for the live-action adaptation of horror anime Death Note. Slated for release later this year, the film is directed by Adam Wingard.

Here’s the trailer:

Death Note is about a teenaged boy who mysteriously acquires a book that kills anyone whose name is written in it. Flush with power, the boy goes on a killing spree of criminals. Ryuk, the demon who dropped the book on Earth out of pure boredom, will be voiced by Willem Dafoe.

Only a few years after release, it’s become a classic horror anime. Hopefully, the movie won’t butcher the series.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thisisatrial said:

People are seemingly not into this, but I think this looks promising. Looks very much its own thing and wont be following the manga/anime too closely.

That's the thing though. People prefer adaptations to remain true to the source material rather than be something that besides the name, is completely unrecognizable to the source it's adapted from.

Honestly though this trailer doesn't really reveal anything at this point imo... So I'm withholding my judgment.

Though I'd certainly like to see more of what the CGI for the Shinigami will look like because that'll be one of the biggest deal breakers to me. The biggest however will be how they handle the great "L". However what the trailer did show me was that the guy who plays Light obviously isn't very good of an actor... and it seems strange to show him running from the cops, when it wasn't until the very end that the police ever truly suspected he was Kira. I just don't really get the sense that this portrayal of Light is meant to be some sort of genius schemer. He looks more like someone you'd expect to be an outcast pothead at school instead.

• Like 1

Just now, Koby said:

That's the thing though. People prefer adaptations to remain true to the source material rather than be something that besides the name, is completely unrecognizable to the source it's adapted from.

Honestly though this trailer doesn't really reveal anything at this point imo... So I'm withholding my judgment.

Though I'd certainly like to see more of what the CGI for the Shinigami will look like because that'll be one of the biggest deal breakers to me. The biggest however will be how they handle the great "L". However what the trailer did show me was that the guy who plays Light obviously isn't very good of an actor... and it seems strange to show him running from the cops, when it wasn't until the very end that the police ever truly suspected he was Kira. I just don't really get the sense that this portrayal of Light is meant to be some sort of genius schemer. He looks more like someone you'd expect to be an outcast pothead at school instead.

I know I'm in minority on this, but I prefer an adaptation to focus on maintaining the spirit and themes of the source material, rather than just tell me the same story I already know. The best example is the Marvel Cinematic Universe; they don't just tell the same stories as the comics, but they capture the characters and spirit of the source material, while telling a new story.

Death Note is very popular and already has live action adaptions that follow the source material mostly to the letter. I am much more excited with someone using the concepts, themes and characters and taking a more Western approach.

6 minutes ago, thisisatrial said:

I know I'm in minority on this, but I prefer an adaptation to focus on maintaining the spirit and themes of the source material, rather than just tell me the same story I already know. The best example is the Marvel Cinematic Universe; they don't just tell the same stories as the comics, but they capture the characters and spirit of the source material, while telling a new story.

Death Note is very popular and already has live action adaptions that follow the source material mostly to the letter. I am much more excited with someone using the concepts, themes and characters and taking a more Western approach.

Yeah but this being the case, I'd prefer new characters and story altogether set within the same universe rather than just a loosely based western version of events already portrayed numerous times. It wouldn't be hard to come up with a new Shinigami who gives a Death Note to someone in the US, or even just say Ryuk does this again. I'm more afraid of them pulling a Dragon Ball Evolution and just completely rewriting the entire universe and changing characters and race backgrounds for example.

As for Marvel's stuff, that has been rebooted so many times though. It's not really the same ordeal here. Because it's just seen as it's own reboot of sorts, and kind of takes from all of them what it wants. While in terms of a manga series like Death Note, there is only one iteration, and any deviation from that would be seen as not being faithful rather than simply being it's own reboot or own thing. There is a big difference in stigmas between these.

• Like 1

Just now, Koby said:

Yeah but this being the case, I'd prefer new characters and story altogether set within the same universe rather than just a loosely based western version of events already portrayed numerous times. It wouldn't be hard to come up with a new Shinigami who gives a Death Note to someone in the US, or even just say Ryuk does this again. I'm more afraid of them pulling a Dragon Ball Evolution and just completely rewriting the entire universe and changing characters and race backgrounds for example.

They could've followed the source material as closely as possible and Dragon Ball Evolution would still be horrible.

8 hours ago, Koby said:

Agreed... I would have liked it if it had new characters altogether. According to IMDB, L is to be played by an African American actor.

Personally I'm not getting my hopes up... that way if it turns out to be bad I won't feel so bad! :P 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...