What Anime shows have made you cry?

StaticX

Grave of fireflies man I didn't watch it but I read the information about the movie just by reading about the movie made me cry that I couldn't bear to watch it . And also fma and brotherhood when the dad experiments his daughter I also skipped that episode ( I wanted to kill the dad for it)

I had forgotten about that FMA Brotherhood episode. But yeah grave of the fireflies is just depressing. Incredibly so when your little sister is around the age of the girl in the film. 

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man...I like to separate series into stuff that got me emotional and stuff that BROKE me.

For stuff that just got me emotional, there's Puella Magi Madoka Magica (particularly The Different Story spin-off manga), Pandora Hearts (manga), Diebuster, Princess Tutu, Kobato (moreso the manga than the anime), Nabari no Ou (both anime AND manga got me on this one!), Please Save My Earth (again, manga), and recently Ore Monogatari.

As for stuff that broke me... the Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle manga is right up there at the top, alonside Chrono Crusade (also manga), Shaman King (manga) and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 (anime).

I don't get emotional that easily when watching/reading stuff, but there are certain tropes and story devices that when used just get me every...single...time.  Death of minors is one of them, that gets to me really easily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Grave of the Fireflies didn't make me cry so much as get pretty depressed. Such an amazing but emotionally draining film!

I did cry at the end of Code Geass though. Surprisingly it was during the second time I watched it, not the first. I think the first time I saw the end I was more in shock than anything else; but when I watched it the second time I couldn't stop the tears flowing even knowing what was coming.

Cried the third time I watched it too, but haven't cried since - still incredibly sad but doesn't affect you as much after watching it 3 times.

6 hours ago, keroblade said:

Grave of the Fireflies didn't make me cry so much as get pretty depressed. Such an amazing but emotionally draining film!

I did cry at the end of Code Geass though. Surprisingly it was during the second time I watched it, not the first. I think the first time I saw the end I was more in shock than anything else; but when I watched it the second time I couldn't stop the tears flowing even knowing what was coming.

Cried the third time I watched it too, but haven't cried since - still incredibly sad but doesn't affect you as much after watching it 3 times.

What was sad about Code Geass? It ended pretty much the only way it could given the corner Lelouche had pushed himself into. Most fans believe he's still alive however due to obtaining his fathers code which seems pretty apparent if you go back and watch closely as they touch in that other world.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Koby said:

What was sad about Code Geass? It ended pretty much the only way it could given the corner Lelouche had pushed himself into. Most fans believe he's still alive however due to obtaining his fathers code which seems pretty apparent if you go back and watch closely as they touch in that other world.

Oh for sure, it was really the only way it could have ended. I think it was just the culmination of all that had happened with Lelouch combined with Nunnally's gut-wrenching crying which made me spill a few tears. :)

And I definitely agree, there's no way that he didn't survive in the end! Besides the fact that he obtained his father's code in C's world, why would the second season be called R2 if not to explain Lelouch (whose initials in Japanese are RR) getting a code. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Madoka Magica, Angel Beats, and like Clannad, also i didn't cry in this one but ironically probably the scene in any anime I can remember feeling the heart broken was probably Fma, cause like Lieutenant Hugh man, he was great... Now that I think about it, fma was one of my first so that's probably why i remembered it so well. ALMOST cried during the funeral though.. the daughter was too much man... HUGH..... :'l