What Anime shows have made you cry?

StaticX

• 2 weeks later...

There are few:

• Ef - a Tale of Melodies. - The situation in which main heroine found herself was really sad.
  • Ef - a Tale of Memories. - Same as the previous one. I still don't know what to make of it.
  • Gintama - Movie was really epic.
  • Kimi no Iru Machi - Mostly due to manga, since anime adaptation barely touched the surface.
  • Kotonoha no Niwa - One of the best animations and simple plots. Amazing movie.
  • Nagi no Asukara - That one was full of feels. Totally recommended softcore tearjerker. hehe
  • Nichijou - Made me laugh and cry. xD
  • Non Non Biyori -
    Spoiler

There was one scene where Renge cried. TwT

• Ookami to Koushinryou - Didn't really make me cry, but it had its moments.

• Plastic Memories - Almost made me cry. Too bad it failed.

• Seitokai Yakuindomo - Sex jokes are funny in this one. :D Read only manga so far, though.

• Steins;Gate -

Spoiler

Mayushi had really hard time surviving..

And saddest of them all, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.

Spoiler

Last episode was really intense. Made me cried even when I didn't want to. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow I seriously had to think way too hard for this one, I don't think I have cried but those last 4 episodes of Wolf's Rain!! I was so close but people were around me lol. Oh and Grave of the Fireflies was another heart wrencher. If I watched those alone it probably would have happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Late post here on the subject... but since emotional content and the beauty of the art, music, and characters is what I love most about anime and what makes me believe in it as a supreme dramatic art form in our day, I will comment.

I think Angel Beats comes close to being #1 for me, along with Guilty Crown, and Ef - A Tale of Memories.  Although, I have not seen Clanad yet, so... however, reading peoples comments over the last few years, I wonder if I shouldn't perhaps really wait until I can afford regular therapy before viewing it. ^_^

Others would be Fate Stay/night and of course, who could forget two of the greatest classics: Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Cowboy Bebop.

In Evangelion, when Rei Ayanami dies, sacrificing her life in battle to save Shinji, only seconds after realizing not only has he finally awakened emotions in her for the first time in her life, but that she loves him. All this, to die only seconds later saving his life. And Cowboy Bebop...  at some point the entire story becomes just one long, sad, drawn-out saga, which after seeing the entire story, you suddenly realize that the very opening scene is perhaps the saddest moment of all.

But with Angels Beats, while the overall story tends to be pretty wild and fun at times, there are some extraordinarily powerful moments mixed throughout the story, and in-particular a series of moments towards, and at, the end. One of the biggest points is pretty subtle, so it's easy to not quite get it's full meaning when you first hear it spoken by Angel, and also there is a brief segment that is very powerful which is actually after the final episode's extended ending credits, which I wonder how many people have missed seeing? You would not see it unless you sit through the entire final closing credits.

It is hard to list them all, as I find a lot of emotional moments in many stories. But, some others I found to be fairly emotional would be:

Brynhildr in the Darkness

Fairy Tail (yes, it is true...)

Sword Art Online I

The Little Busters!/Little Busters! Refrain

Gundam Seed

.Hack/sign

Haibane Renmei

K-Project

Last Exile

Tsukuyomi Moon Phase

Edited by garo7
  • Like 1

The grave of fire flies(Ghibli movie)

It literally made me cry at the end. Children die of malnutrition and starvation because of some war which they have nothing to do with it and people loosing compassion.

Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai (Anime series)

Well, it does really moved me so much about the bonds between friends and how future will never be what we expect it would be, broken childish dream and who were once closest friends breakup into pieces to an extent they can't speak to each other about their past and of coarse Menma. She is real cute, nobody wants her to die, such a adorable, cute and sweet girl.

Aoi Bungaku
Every short story of the series actually terrified me so much of how harsh really a life can be. So i went ahead and read those novels No Longer Human By Osumu Dazai, Kokoro by Natsume Sosuke. The anime was nothing like that in those books but when i watched the anime completely understanding the characters from the novel, it became so hard for me to watch those characters.

Naruto Shuppunden

When Jiraya was killed, i couldn't able to control myself. Such a lover of peaceful world and mentor for Naruto, he is my all time favorite character. I really couldn't able to control myself feeling so sad looking at those melancholic scene of Naruto loosing his only family again.

My favorite anime genre is Slice of life. I like watching anime with more emotions. I like myself being so emotional.

These are the few anime I got now into my mind.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My Hero Academia. There's just something about the earnestness of the protagonist that warms my heart and brings a tear to my eye. 君はヒーロになれる has to be one of the greatest moments of shounen battle. 

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Schwarzesmarken totally failed at making me care about any of the characters and their tragic ends, which I understood to be the core strength of the Muv-Luv franchise (PTSD arc etc).