Growth as a Human Race

Cynthia

Warning: this thread contains a high amount of theories that many find offensive. This is from a desensitized point of view, and should not be read by people who are easily offended. You have been warned.

As a human race, we are meeting constant challenges we must overcome, to continue as a race. This topic is about highly beneficial changes we could make that could potentially push us along the evolutionary line a tad quicker. These are putting logic before emotion keep in mind:

1. Human compassion is a double edged sword. It makes us fight for survival, but it makes us want to put value on all human life. The problem with this, is that not ALL life has value. Value in the idea of survival as a species, not value as in value of individuals. We need to STOP putting value on all human life, as not all humans are worth keeping alive. Now granted someone takes your wife hostage, of course you try and save her, but say they are going to kill her, or blow up a hospital, and you have no time to choose. Emotions prevent you from saving the majority depending on who you are. If we trash a majority of compassion we can open to these other ideas.

2. Survival of the fittest, why are humans exempt from it? Why are mentally retarded people kept alive? I know it's harsh, but the reality of it is, we can't cure them (at least not all of them), and Walmart can only hire so many door greeters. We spend money to take care of them, and they can not contribute back. We invest time, human resources, money and food into them, and gain nothing. If we really want to evolve as a race we need to get serious.

3. Prisons need a major overhaul. Get rid of television, libraries, weight rooms, everything except food, water and a cell. Prisoners have too much luxary, and it's a waste of money and resources. We could save a lot of money that can be put back into other more useful things.

4. Religion must be abolished. How can we hope to move forward to a more logical and advanced future, when people are going to insist on being stuck in the past? Deny it all you want, but religion has caused turmoil since the start of time.

5. Drop some issues. Does gays marrying really matter that much in a time where the US is at war, and the UK recieving terrorist attacks? Christ it would help control population and let them adopt children, so they can raise some of the abundance of children we have.

6. Some people should not be allowed to have children, and we have a limit on how many you may have. We have way too many people.

7. Abortion is legal, why would you want people who can not raise children bringing more into the world? Not every ejaculation needs a name.

8. I understand this violates some human rights, but in reality we have none. Our rights can be taken away if we act up. Those aren't rights, they're privaliges.

Don't come after me because I'm not afraid of progress.

Warning: this thread contains a high amount of theories that many find offensive. This is from a desensitized point of view, and should not be read by people who are easily offended. You have been warned.

That offends me. Your face offends me.

As a human race, we are meeting constant challenges we must overcome, to continue as a race. This topic is about highly beneficial changes we could make that could potentially push us along the evolutionary line a tad quicker. These are putting logic before emotion keep in mind:

Your second sentence here reeks of the notion of evolution as a step ladder. Biologically speaking, however, we're not that special. Also, evolution has no plan.

1. Human compassion is a double edged sword. It makes us fight for survival, but it makes us want to put value on all human life.

Of course, our morality is human-centric, and we struggle to care as much for other species. If the Silurians, that fictional reptilian race from Doctor Who that has evolved to our level, mental wise, really existed, and one of us killed one of them, we may consider it monstrous, but not as much as if that person killed another human. There is nothing revolutionary about this idea. It makes sense that we would develop empathy for each other, as otherwise we cannot survive as a race. As extinct species, including a competing humanoid race (i.e., the Neanderthal) learned the painful way, however, we're just as vicious as we are kind.

This may seem paradoxical, but the world is a dangerous place, and we adapted these "less desirable" traits in addition to the ones we may be less ashamed of. The world, furthermore, may not seem so dangerous to many of us reading this, but if you're really wondering that, you're definitely taking the comforts granted to you in the society you live in for granted. A world in which you don't have to hunt every day to survive and are therefore freed up of so much time that can be used for texting on your smart phone, in which modern medicine combats so many ills that would have been deadly centuries before, and in which you don't have to be on constant look out for predators.

In any case, old habits are hard to break. Our manners are programmed into us through centuries of evolutionary pressure. Of course, there's free will, but there is a certain extent to which we act just as we are expected to. To act otherwise is a constant effort to break the mold.

We need to STOP putting value on all human life, as not all humans are worth keeping alive. Now granted someone takes your wife hostage, of course you try and save her, but say they are going to kill her, or blow up a hospital, and you have no time to choose. Emotions prevent you from saving the majority depending on who you are. If we trash a majority of compassion we can open to these other ideas.

How do you suggest "we trash a majority of compassion"?

2. Survival of the fittest, why are humans exempt from it? Why are mentally retarded people kept alive? I know it's harsh, but the reality of it is, we can't cure them (at least not all of them), and Walmart can only hire so many door greeters. We spend money to take care of them, and they can not contribute back. We invest time, human resources, money and food into them, and gain nothing. If we really want to evolve as a race we need to get serious.

How do you define mentally retarded? Are the autistic mentally retarded? How mentally retarded is retarded enough? Also, would you say only the mentally retarded are "unfit" for society? What about those who lost both legs and arms defending the country in a war? Also, have you ever had a mentally retarded family member?

3. Prisons need a major overhaul. Get rid of television, libraries, weight rooms, everything except food, water and a cell. Prisoners have too much luxary, and it's a waste of money and resources. We could save a lot of money that can be put back into other more useful things.

I think that's hacking at the branches instead of the roots. We could get rid of their generous cable packages, which I wouldn't mind, but it may be more productive to focus on the reasons why people end up in prison in the first place. As I posted at my forum, in a topic titled "America may privatize death row,"

You probably already guessed why the state of Arizona would go so far; yes, the state is "broke, desperate and often overburdened with prisoners and their associated costs". The article also states that the "number of federal prisoners in private prisons in the U.S. has more than doubled, to 32,712 in 2008 from 15,524 in 2000" and that "[t]he number of state prisoners in privately run prisons has increased to 93,500 from 75,000 in that time." It is no surprise, as the U.S. imprisons more of its population than any other country in the world, and that close to 25% of the world's population resides in American prisons, despite said country only making up less than 5% of the world's population.

Moving on:

4. Religion must be abolished. How can we hope to move forward to a more logical and advanced future, when people are going to insist on being stuck in the past? Deny it all you want, but religion has caused turmoil since the start of time.

I think stupidity is the root. Outlawing religion doesn't seem any more productive than outlawing alcohol. You're not going to get rid of it. When you give people education, utilities, water, food, and a job, they're much less likely to go out and bomb people. Also, when a man has his own business, he tends to shy away from extremism because it's bad for business. When people are well off, and have much to lose, they act better, whether or not they're religious. When people are better educated and have more materially, furthermore, they tend to be less religious, and to be more tolerant. There are prevalent business and secular classes in Turkey, for example, and even though the population is Muslim, an Islamic theocracy hasn't been allowed to rule.

6. Some people should not be allowed to have children, and we have a limit on how many you may have. We have way too many people.

Who are the people who should not have children?

1. Human compassion is a double edged sword. It makes us fight for survival, but it makes us want to put value on all human life. The problem with this, is that not ALL life has value. Value in the idea of survival as a species, not value as in value of individuals. We need to STOP putting value on all human life, as not all humans are worth keeping alive. Now granted someone takes your wife hostage, of course you try and save her, but say they are going to kill her, or blow up a hospital, and you have no time to choose. Emotions prevent you from saving the majority depending on who you are. If we trash a majority of compassion we can open to these other ideas.

In accordance with your argument, you are now required to validate your existence, and explain why you should not be euthanized.

You are now required to justify your drain on our resources.

You are now required to justify your ownership of land; ownership of land has "caused turmoil since the start of time." You are now required to justify your personal wealth; personal wealth has "caused turmoil since the start of time." You are now required to justify your personal freedoms; personal freedoms have "caused turmoil since the start of time." You are now required to justify... well, just about everything you do. Enjoy.

Also, as a fun thought experiment: you claim that you are interested in progress. You are now required to explain what that progress is towards, and why we should want to go there.

Compassion for one another has been put into our minds for centuries. In some ways it helps us survive (i.e. lending support), but in others it holds the race back (i.e. keeping unwanted traits such as Down Syndrome, etc, in the race).

But it's not like we can suddenly break this practice of caring for one another.

Sure, there might be a Bill passed in the future where some prison "luxuries" are taken away, and of course the homosexual issues will disappear in time, but this won't really let the human race move forward from an evolutionary point of view.

Also, IVF should be abolished in my opinion. Not due to religious reasons but because it also keeps those unwanted traits in the genetic pool.

5. Drop some issues. Does gays marrying really matter that much in a time where the US is at war, and the UK recieving terrorist attacks? Christ it would help control population and let them adopt children, so they can raise some of the abundance of children we have.

7. Abortion is legal, why would you want people who can not raise children bringing more into the world? Not every ejaculation needs a name.

8. I understand this violates some human rights, but in reality we have none. Our rights can be taken away if we act up. Those aren't rights, they're privaliges.

To continue as a race... Do you understand what you just said? What possible danger of extinction does human race face at the moment? The only way human race could be no more is if peope started breeding with monkeys for instance.

Push us along the evolutionary line quicker... Push us where? What do you mean by saying evolution?

If you're talking about the faults which Society has nowadays ( always had,in fact), there is no need to speak of it on biological level. The important thing is not the way our race proceeds, but the methods which are used in the Society.

You think emotions stand in our way? When people are being bullied, harassed, offended in schools, workplaces, anywhere, it's not cause others don't like them emotionally.

It's because everyone obeys rules made by majority. Because no one has enough emotions to keep his head above the majority, to give himself enough value as a person, as an individual.

And if you want logic in the first place, would you like to see people granted more opportunities provided that they are able to stab a knife in their friend's back? People who don't know what dignity is and therefore can twist their spine in any situation, should they be more valuable than others for you?

I dont get your logic. If you had a plant which grows in polluted soil, would you chop off the bad branches until the plant was none, or would you try to improve the soil?

It's good to see that your mind isn't kept back too much by moral boundaries but you seem to see the surface of the problem, not penetrating within.

You see, your point of view is nothing for anyone else but you, because it's just a minority report. No need to shout loud words, that's not how things are done. If you dont want people in prison to get conviniences, then why should there be any social programmes at all, let's stop helping the poor and the disabled. Why should they be helped anyway, right? Let's stop giving money to people who dont work. You're 70, you cant work no more? Go kill yourself, youre wasting humankind's energy. Art, why do we need art? It doesn't boost the country's economical growth, does it? Let's end it! Let's make a giant Sparta, where all the week are tossed down a big hole. This will provide a bright future for the whole mankind, wont it?

*Clap Clap*

I'm actually a tad impressed at how people are able to combat these points right away. Not that I was trying to lure negative reactions or shock from any of you, (thus why I warned you all in advance), but this was sort of a test. I was curious to how well you all had the ability to argue without resorting to "OMFG YOU SUCK GET OUT." Not to say "trolling" per say, as trolling is intentionally trying to receive negative reaction, then thriving on that reaction. The problem I constantly see, is everyone on this forum AGREES, so it's difficult to hold a debate. If you want to take it as trolling, meh go ahead, see if I give a shit.

How I really feel on the subject is a little more complex, as it's difficult to justify something DESERVES to stay in existence without having reason to justify everything. In reality if the mindset above was posed, where would it end? Although overpopulation is a problem, this is clearly not the solution. Abortion should obviously be kept legal, and religious propaganda should STOP making people feel like criminals for having it. We also need to find a solution for people who just keep having children they can not care for, however such a solution isn't exactly going to be accomplished without violating human rights.

Well,I was surprised you came up with such a topic all of a sudden. Got bored or something?

A good alternative for abortion could be propaganda of safe sex. I mean if every junky-jerk would use a condom, there would be less unwanted pregnancy to worry about. Anyway, I dont find it such a problem, maybe because I'm not too religious and i'm not catholic, anyway. Is that the reason?

And why does overpopulation bother you so much? It's not the thing that comes to one's mind every wednesday morning, is it? Let the Chinese worry about it.

Edit: But seriously, what kind of philosophical crap have you read resently that affected you so much?

Pretty much everything listed except the mental retardation part can be solved with education, and even education can help out on that too.

With a better and more factually fair education system Religion would slowly dwindle away, prisons would start becoming less full, gays would get the rights they deserve, unexpected infancy would go down and abortion would be a rare plan-B.

People care about mentally retarded people. Why bother killing them off? we have more than enough resources to take care of everyone on the planet, 50 times over, the only thing holding us back is a world system that money rules over all. Survival of the fittest is below humanity at this point, I can only hope that society continues to progress away from your radical ideals and more in to a caring, yet well educated human race.

I understand this violates some human rights, but in reality we have none. Our rights can be taken away if we act up. Those aren't rights, they're privaliges.

This has been going on for thousands of years, yet here you are wanting more of it.

Also, I completely agree with Medora about the prison system.

Hn. "Oh, I didn't really mean what I wrote, now that the inherent absurdity of it has been exposed."

Right. I guess I'd do the same thing if I was caught claiming that compassion, the single most important factor towards making humans care about the survival of the species, should be abandoned... for the sake of the species.

• 2 months later...

the most significant aspect of human development is the loss of primal values such as survival of the fittest, amoral self-betterment and otherwise lower-order aims.

as society (in a western sense) is able to provide the basic needs of survival the idea of a culture based around survival of the fittest is simply not necessary. the question of higher-order values such as ethics and religions being a means towards social harmony and in turn either social or oligarchic profit is a better question than simply reducing human values to essentially the values of animals

wow reading this actually installs some hope that there is some compassionate people still left in the world, and that there is still some intelligent people on the internet!!! lol! but i think eskimo has a point, and in my opinion he almost got it perfect! one huge difference being that the controlling factor of human civilisation has been that it has disregarded evolution's main toy, survival of the fittest, in the sense of individuals. nowadays it isnt survival of the fittest indvidual (although if you boiled it down it practically is except fittest now means succesful, as in money relationships and so on) but it is the survival of the fittest civilisation. this brings up a whole plethora of problems on a much grander scale. for instance, on the individual scale, if one person pulls out a gun and shoots someone for, i dont know lets say money then that person must in some way need it to survive as today we live in a material world. so for shooting the other person this person goes to prison for life, or is killed on death row, or is shot down by another person mabye a policeman or something or lives on to survive another day, and that is the end of it. but if say an impoverished country whips out its guns in a neccesity to survive the world goes haywire. what im trying to say is that nowadays survival of the fittest cannot be applied to modern human society (like eskimo said) but is nowadays applied on a grander scale. but most people dont realise this. the moment the world realises that it should be looking out for the survival of the entire human race then we will be on the right track as the strong wont be able to prey on the weak.

hope that what i just said doesnt cause anyone offense, but freedom of speech is a two edged blade in some cases.

• 1 month later...

My first issue with your point of view is your assumption of evolution. You assume that as a Race(?), or species, humanity has evolved. There has been no psychological or existential evolution of humanity. One generation just builds better "toys" then the previous one. Otherwise, as all crimes you pointed out clearly show, we are not on step higher then the caveman - fighting for food, water, women, power and domain (feel free to replace any of those with the flavor of the day).

1. As for compassion, as a species, there is no such thing...nothing but brainwashing from cradle to grave. Same goes for so-called education (a.k.a. brainwashing to convince the "Tribe" that it is better then the other "Tribes", and that it has justification, and "The Right" to loot and kill the other tribes).

Compassion can only come from the individual, never from the collective unconscious, and all it's archetypes, built throughout history to one single purpose - the enslavement of the individual to the bloodthirstiness of the collective. Free yourself, become a better person to the ones around you and your "society", the people with whom you interact, will become much more enlightened.

It is apparent to me, though I might be wrong, that you have a collectivist mind-set. Of course I would save my daughter, or wife, or mother, and let millions die! If that where the choice - who wouldn't? What are those millions to me, but mere statistics that I don't give a crap about?

2. That's a joke right? How do we exactly know if either of us would be here, were it not for the treatment we received at birth, and along our first years of life? People in Rich societies will always survive people in Poor societies, not because they are fitter, just because they have better assistance. As a species, humans have abandoned the restraints of the "survival of the fittest" long ago; thus the abundance of "defective beings" that manage to survive. This tendency will only tend to grow. Again, your collectivist mind shows itself, who exactly is this "We" you keep referring to?

As for the Walmart reference, they generally are people that are under-educated, young, foreign, illegally in the country, etc. That doesn't make them any less "survival-fit" to live then you, or me. In fact, as I have noticed with many illegals, the opposite is true - they work their socks off, manage to better the lives of their kids, are experts on survival skills and social-climbing.

As for your point on the mentally retarded:

a) Who exactly are you to judge on that criterion...oh, I forgot, you are a collectivist, so there should probably be a "Panel", to decide on those matters, and, of course, a Death-Squad in every maternity to kill-off the unfit. I do expect you to kill yourself, if the collective decides you are unfit to live! You see, in this game you must remember that the rules also apply to you.

B) You do realize that, according to your criterion: Einstein, Freud, Edison, Dostoevsky, Gauguin, and so many other "geniuses" that make our lives easier, and more pleasurable, would have been killed in their early years? And always those mysterious we,we,we, we thingies. Can you not think for yourself, and assume the responsibility of your thoughts? As opposed to projecting them into your collective? Are you ashamed of them?

3. Yep, great solution. Transform petty criminals into borderline psychopaths that, sooner or latter, will be released into your community. Or, using your rationalization, and what I think you truly meant to write, shouldn't we just do away with the prisons, and kill everybody who commits a crime?...be careful what you wish for...

4. This one is a total mess, even though I'm an Atheist.

a) Move forward. You keep using meaningless expressions, just what is that supposed to be? Should "we" move forward, over the cliff, and throw ourselves into the rocks I see below?

B)More logical and advanced future. Again a meaningless statement. Firstly, as the collectivist you are, I am assuming you are talking about "Organized Religion", as opposed to one's particular belief system. This destroys your argument, at it's week foundations, for I can envision nothing more Logical then organized religion. Secondly, what is an "advanced future"; besides a completely meaningless expression? I thought the object of each individual's pursuit was to make his life, and that of those around him, more pleasant and enriching...not some collective-logical nightmare.

I would really like, at this point, to throw you into a cabin with a Shaman. There, when he threw a mirror in front of you (not literally), and pealed away your masks - the collective "WE" you keep hiding behind - would you be able to live with what you see? How frightened would you be of your own self? Would you survive long enough to do the "shadow-work" that needs to be done, or would you become one of those "Retards" (and by that I mean go insane) that, in your collective society, are nothing more then a burden to be dealt with?

There, you would find the difference between "Organized Religion", a purely logical entity, based on tradition, and knowledge of the Self, a purely emotional state, which many cannot live with!

What I'm really asking: Is it society that is sick and lost, or is it you? Not being able to face who you are, and what you are, you hide behind the collective "We". Blame everything on an outside entity, and fail to do your own spring-cleaning? Do you really think that others would want to burden themselves with the garbage you forgot to put outside? The house (your mind, soul, call it what you like) is really beginning to stink.

5 - Not worthy of a response; but since I have two daughters, again, who is this "WE" that seems to have such an abundance of children to give away, or get rid of?

6 - Who decides on that issue? Did you know that the USA sterilized millions in the first half of the twentieth century? Your history seems a little rusty, to say the least, you keep proposing solutions that have been in effect for centuries; better, millenniums, yet I still don't understand what those solutions are supposed to be for?

Surely, not for the betterment of the Human. Since those solutions, you so rationally propose, come right out of the manuals of the Ancient Egyptians, Spartans, Romans, Inquisition, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, just to name a few...

7 - Abortion is legal, so? Why are you, again, afraid of writing what you really think?

Abortion, in your opinion, should be Mandatory. It should Imposed on certain "kinds" of people, and "people" like you should have the power to decide who gets the knife, and who doesn't.

There, for someone claiming honesty and rationality, you sure try damn hard to hide what you really want to say!

8 - Some human rights???

Let's see you've proposed Mass Genocide, Infanticide, Holocaust...

But then you say we have no rights, so in effect you do preconceive the abolition of ALL HUMAN RIGHTS! Why don't you just write that?

Again, I figure you're one of the privileged that gets to be Judge, Jury and executioner. A bit full of ourselves, aren't we?

P.S. » I would never come after you. In fact, I would stay as far away as I could, from your pass. Hope it doesn't get to dark...

P.P.S » "I'm not afraid of progress" - This was meant as a joke, right?

I've just read one of the most retrograde pieces of prose, since I wrote a paper on the "Inquisitions" (don't worry you would feel right at home, in those days).

Where exactly are you proposing progress? If your idea of progress is the Medieval Period, then you hit the ball out of the park!

Good post, thoroughly enjoyed it...I am assuming it was an attempt at humor!?!?

...I, for one, hope it was...

HOLY CRAP!!! THAT'S A LOOOOONG POST!!!! not shade's, the one before him ;)

okay, how about we re-phrase this question.

how have we GROWN as a human race?

the answer, according to me is that we've shrunk down.

a LONG LONG time ago, back to the time when dinosaur poop was common as ... uh, normal poop and the human beings had brains the size of pinheads, everyone seemed to get along quite well, aside from the usual killings, fightings, deaths, etc.

a few thousand years later, we decided that one particular place was ours and no one else was allowed there, and, hence, everyone divided up.

call me naive, call me a simpleton, i don't really care. i think the world would be a better place if people came out of their sanctuaries, instead of hiding in there, desperately clinging to an identity.

• 3 weeks later...
1. Human compassion is a double edged sword. It makes us fight for survival, but it makes us want to put value on all human life. The problem with this, is that not ALL life has value. Value in the idea of survival as a species, not value as in value of individuals. We need to STOP putting value on all human life, as not all humans are worth keeping alive.

without human compassion, you would have been aborted your mother went through hell to give birth to you and she could have just killed you before you came out

2. Survival of the fittest, why are humans exempt from it? Why are mentally retarded people kept alive?

And if you were retarded? what constitutes whether someone should live or not? Will you decide that?. What if that eliminates so much of the human race that the population dwindles and it can no longer sustain itself?

3. Prisons need a major overhaul. Get rid of television, libraries, weight rooms, everything except food, water and a cell.

If they come out the way they went in and kill you not my fault

4. Religion must be abolished. How can we hope to move forward to a more logical and advanced future, when people are going to insist on being stuck in the past?

Can you prove to me that religion isn't saving mankind? Can you prove that it is false? This presupposition that the only rational people are not religious is preposterous. You haven't proven anything. Also, if evolution is true, then religion came about as evolution, and as the human mind evolves it will die off eventually. No need to worry your system is flawless (except its accuracy).

5. Drop some issues. Does gays marrying really matter that much in a time where the US is at war, and the UK recieving terrorist attacks?

It depends on your morals? where do they come from? obviously yours come from your own deluded mind. How can you prove that your mind is an adequate authority on this issue?

based on what? more children means more ingenuity and inventiveness. we can learn to use are resourses more wisely. Evolution has room for that doesn't it?

you obviously should have been hacked to pieces

8. I understand this violates some human rights, but in reality we have none.

privelages given by whom? the most powerful human? than we all squabble for that position and kill everyone off and thermonuclear war. Good one.

progress? this takes us back to the stone age anarchy kind of violence. If it succeeds, all you can hope for is an awful dictatorship with much of the human race gone. That's optimism.

• 1 year later...

I agree with the initial post even though it was more 'opinion' then 'point' of direction with the human race.

The following posts more or less just attack the opinions then give reasons that are pretty much arbitrary with their own opinion's.

If the starting post was suggesting great change and action upon the faults mentioned then I still agree with them as harsh as they are.

I agree with the initial post even though it was more 'opinion' then 'point' of direction with the human race.

The following posts more or less just attack the opinions then give reasons that are pretty much arbitrary with their own opinion's.

If the starting post was suggesting great change and action upon the faults mentioned then I still agree with them as harsh as they are.

Wow, I hope you don't agree with her point on the mentally disabled. My sister has a disability, this post highly offends me.