how do you compare old video games from new

XOokamixHowlinX

Old games had more to them... graphics didn't matter. Back before consoles could connect to the internet the developers cared more about making the game work nicely because they only had one shot at it... patching wasn't an option like it is now... which is one of the reasons why games are so buggy now days. I can't begin to count the amount of broken modern day games that I have played, because the dev felt that they could just push out a rushed game and patch it later. Take Bethesda for example... to me they make really great games... but their one flaw is that their games are so buggy that they can't run more than 10 minutes without crashing XD... oblivion and fallout 3 are great examples of this. At least the pc versions... I've never played the console versions. I'm not saying all new games are broken, and I'm not saying all old games are flawless. It just seems like the quality of most new games is going downhill.

I have some fond memories from playing the old games. Zelda on super nes to X-com ufo defence on computer. I think ba11ard is right with some games getting pumped out prematurely for the sake of deadlines and with that comes problems of in game bugs and worse a soul less game. I waited for Stalker shadow of chernobyl for a long time and when it came out they didn't deliver a lot of what they promised to the community. Although it was a great game.

In general I have to say I love the new games and the tech that goes into them. You gotta admit World of warcraft and or The elder scrolls oblivion is pretty awesome in scope,content and size. I'm looking forward to better bigger games in the future.

a lot of new games have unoriginal or just boring stories and they still release bad quality games with all this new and vastly improved tech. almost all multi console games(more than ps3 and 360) just fail in graphics and controls(sometimes). it seems all games from movies are some of the worst. but dont make it sound like im hating on new games, they still have some great ones being released, like one of my favorites, uncharted 2. And it now seems like games get rehashed way to many times; for example:call of duty, guitar hero/rock band, and some others i cant think of now.

Old gaming was about the story, something that made you want to play to complete the game, you felt like a part of it.

New gaming is about the spectacle, solely on what looks the best(ff13), the grittiest(gears of war/GTA4), and the biggest light bloom possible (halo)

My favourite game ever is Lufia 2 on the snes, it plays like an old FF game, but has puzzle and platforming elements mixed in at parts too.

It takes a while to beat, and rewards you with proper stuff if you do it a few times (you can go through a giant 100 floor dungeon with more characters than in the first place)

Compare that sort of reward, with the CoD prestige system which is pretty much "Restart the game, but now you can have an extra slot which you probably wont use anyways"

Old gaming ftw!

Old games had more to them... graphics didn't matter. Back before consoles could connect to the internet the developers cared more about making the game work nicely because they only had one shot at it... patching wasn't an option like it is now... which is one of the reasons why games are so buggy now days. I can't begin to count the amount of broken modern day games that I have played, because the dev felt that they could just push out a rushed game and patch it later. Take Bethesda for example... to me they make really great games... but their one flaw is that their games are so buggy that they can't run more than 10 minutes without crashing XD... oblivion and fallout 3 are great examples of this. At least the pc versions... I've never played the console versions. I'm not saying all new games are broken, and I'm not saying all old games are flawless. It just seems like the quality of most new games is going downhill.

You took the words out of my mouth (lol)

I can't stand many modern games anymore, I mean take a look at MW2. It's very popular, but it's so glitch and hack ridden it's pointless to play (online anyways), it's the new Counter-Strike.

It also seems they are just out of ideas, and want to repeat the same game and never really add anything new. Think about this, how many games have you played where you are a man of a military background, fighting aliens, in space.I have now taken out half of all FPS, and a lot of other games too.

I personally would rather spend time playing SNES then 80% of newer games.

Also, F3 for consoles didn't crash as much. I have had it crash a few times on 360. My friend had the ps3 version, and said it crashed a little bit as well.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people tend to enjoy older games because graphics were not the best part of a game. It used to be gameplay and content. I also believe that I have a fondness for some of the older games because I grew up with them. They hold a lot of my childhood memories, so they are special to me.

I think that, with all of the companies out there competing to make the "prettiest and flashiest" looking game, they are neglecting some of the other areas of game development.

Because I keep all of my systems and games, however, this doesn't pose too much of a problem for me. I can simply start up the super nintendo, or nintendo 64, etc and enjoy those games that we all love so much.

I played many games but what I like the most are the new games because of their texture quality and some of the old ones because of their good story...

What I liked the most on PS2 & PS3 was God of War 1, 2 & 3...Tha story rocks, quality is the best on God of War 3...I wish they could make God of War 4 :)...

And ofc on PC my favorite is Lineage 2 :)...

Tehnology now to humans has become pretty advanced P:...

And tha same with games...

We'll always will try to aim higher :)...

I prefer old/low tech Rpgs above all else since they had a bigger focus on the overall experience rather than just looking flashy, most of the new rpgs these days tend to really disappoint me with the star ocean series as a rare exception, In my opinion, no new role playing game can compare to the awesomeness of Chrono trigger or Golden sun, I even like older final fantasies better than the new ones, but for most other genres I prefer modern games.

Story, plot, and character development just seem to be missing.. Todays games mostly seem to be an eye candy competition. We have become too superficial it seems, that last Final Fantasy was horrible!! Was nothing more than eye candy. . . :beat_brick: Then there is the seemingly no end to a series.. with sequel after sequel.. with all this candy... lets just say they've given me cavities.. :bad_smile:

I tend to prefer old games. Often it's for nostalgia value, but I've played some older games I've never played before and enjoy them much more so than many of the new ones out there. Particularly, I like not having to sit through cut scenes to understand the story line. Or long introductions.

In my opinion, any game that is not by bethesda, isn't a racing game, fps, or party game, should be in 2-d. Many games nowadays need to be longer. i enjoyed the single player campaign of many games that are out now, but they are too short! i want to be able to play my game for a really long time without needing to pay a monthly online fee. with the technology out now, developers could make an awesome 16-bit game that could take months of playing to complete. i would rather pay $60 for a long rpg with old school graphics than a beautiful looking game with a short story mode and repetitive online play. i like old games.

Well, to a certain degree i do agree with you, but it also depends on the console, if it is for PC, PS I, II, III, XBox, etc. Not all of them the story lines are bad and not all of them the graphics are great. The worst part really is that you always have to get a new console for the next great game! And once you bought it, the next level of games arrives and you can't play them on your machine any more! IT can be really frustrating, especially if it is a sequel to the game you were playing or something like that...

the new games today are almost focus on graphics and has less attention to gameplay and story.. while the old games are focus on story and gameplay alone disregarding the graphics.

actually, i much more prefer the old ones since those are the games that i had played for many times compare to the new games today that i tend to play it just only once

I think that the older games were better, they did seem to put more time into story and not much into the graphics, but then again, old school games were 16/32 bit :) My favourite game is actually a SNES game, Mega Man X. XD Just such an awesome game.

I think that the older games were better, they did seem to put more time into story and not much into the graphics, but then again, old school games were 16/32 bit :) My favourite game is actually a SNES game, Mega Man X. XD Just such an awesome game.

im really much more to rpg stuffs so i always go to story.. for every game / rpg that i play.. i rely much more on story than the graphics, that's the reason why i love the old games mostly from the playstation 1 era.

final fantasy, suikoden, tales series, xenosaga, lunar some of these are not continuing in this time but they all got good stories and gameplay.