Physical or Digital Media??

StaticX

Physical or Digital Media??  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Physical or Digital Media??

• Physical (DVD, Bluray)
    • Digital (DDL)

I've always liked physical copies more. And especially now that I recently had a fiasco at Gamestop that caused me to have to re-download all my digital 3DS games and start over, I'm DEFINITELY sticking to physical from now on.

And besides, if you get bored of games or movies, you can always trade them in. You're pretty much stuck with digital copies.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I say Digital > Physical.

While I hate the part of looking through my digital collection on my HDD to decide what to watch and the potential of losing most of it if said HDD were to get damage, it's just easier for me because I don't really have too much money to waste on physical products.

If I had money to spare, I would be a physical nut with all the powers. 

I do enjoy physical games though...

• 2 months later...

Physical because it is aesthetically pleasing, it has resale value (if you're into that), special editions have cool stuff (sometimes), and most of all you own it where as digital gives you the "rights" to download and store it so long as the service is in effect. I just feel I'm getting ripped off if I buy digital, as it's costing little to nothing for the company to produce on the market and rarely do I see a price difference to reflect it.

• 6 months later...

I keep the physical copy mostly as a backup, because digital is much more convenient to use.
Having a Smart TV with a USB port will spoil you for good.

EDIT: The USB port of my TV has been failing on occasion, and this reminds me that even if you don't have a TV with a USB port you can still enjoy putting video in a USB drive and watching it on your TV -- all you need is a "media player" device (you can search Amazon or similar for various models).

They usually have a USB slot for you to insert USB drives, and an HDMI output for you to hook into your TV for HD video and audio. Some even come with a remote.

Edited by doko

Hmm some of you guy make great point, my opinion I prefer physical over digital mostly bluray/dvd combo. reason why because of the bonus feature and 5.1 surround audio output. I'm not sure if anime digital are sold with 5.1 surround output (dues to most of digital I brought are stereo format). And second thing I hate about digital is the fact how I forget my login to access the content. I had brought from lot of different vendor and forgot what username or email i had used.

Physical by far. Digital is good in terms of like PC games but with how digital tends to be that you're leased a license and don't actually own whatever thing it is you bought (In terms of DRM, limiting your installs or something) I vastly prefer physical since that stuff comes across as somewhat bullshit.

yeah, I'd prefer digital with PC games a.k.a Steam since it auto-updates games so you don't need to download patches.

But with Movies, TV Shows, Music, I'd prefer physical content over something like itunes, because would you rather pay $20 for a itunes rip? Or would you just go out and buy the Bluray/Audio CD at perfect quality and Rip it yourself?

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. On one hand, I really enjoy having physical copies of my favorite manga and movies and anime.  I like the packaging, I like having them all nicely arranged on my shelves.  It's just very pleasant.

On the other hand, there are distinct advantages to digital media that probably make me lean more in favor of it.  If damage is done to physical media it's hard to recover it, but if you rip your favorite anime to your computer and host it on a private server somewhere, then you don't have to worry about losing it and becoming unable to watch it should something happen to the physical copy. It's also convenient if you're on the computer to just click on the file, open it up and watch as opposed to fetching the physical copy and loading it in (yeah I know this sounds incredibly lazy).

In terms of price, I buy digital if I need something for convenience; if I want something for collection purposes, I buy the physical copy.  While you may end up paying more for a physical copy, you do get more than just the rip of whatever it is you bought.

On the downside for each, there is a risk of your physical copies being damaged like I mentioned above. With digital media, some others mentioned it already but there are limitations put in place.  Limits on installs of digital purchases (software is a good example here), DRM protections on digital media  you purchase off Amazon that can make it hard to transfer it to devices that may not readily be supported, etc.  For me, it really comes down to what I plan to use the stuff for.