Downsizing & Server Upgrades

Koby

I've been meaning to do this for quite some time. I've also been keeping an eye on the topic in Assistance about what everyone thinks needs to be done to keep Kametsu going and hopefully set it back on a path of striving and staying ahead of the game.

For starters... I'd like to trash all of our servers. We're currently running things on three different servers. One costs $140 on a 1 Gbit connection, and the two others are $20 a month on a 100Mbit connection. That's $180 a month in server fees. The two cheap ones are what have been running the forum and the xdcc bots, while the expensive one was a server we used years ago for everything but was made to stop using it for anything to do with copyrighted material due to DMCA and has since then only ran private gaming servers and the gaming fansites of the network (which have all been displaying database errors for the last half a year). Basically it's throwing money out the window and we need to cut the leak off. Downsizing, getting rid of shit we no longer have a use for, upgrading the shit we do need, etc.. needs to be done.

I want to start this by getting rid of all three servers and integrating everything into one server with a better cpu, more bandwith, and bigger hard drive spaces. As it currently stands, our two small servers each have a 1TB hard drive, and pretty weak cpu, with only 5TB of monthly bandwidth. The new server I have my eyes set on has an AMD Opteron CPU (8 cores @ 2.3 GHz each), 16GB DDR3 RAM, 2x 2TB SATA II @ 7,200 rpm hard drives, unlimited bandwith on a 100megabit connection.

The thing is, the server has a setup fee of $149. Good news is, monthly costs will be cut to only 1/3 current costs. Instead of $180 a month, we'd only be needing $60 a month.

Only thing stopping me from doing this right away is the lack of internet at home prevents me from being able to transfer over 2TB of data from our current servers to the new one... as well as being able to set it all up and install all the required stuff to make it run.

On the site/forum side of things... AnimeTokyo was shutdown months ago. Grandia Online, Forgotten Memories, and Shadow Hearts Infoholic will be shutdown. Kametsu's main site will hopefully be able to get staff to help keep it updated (although recruitment have failed for the last 6 years).

As for the forum, I'd like to get the new setup in process. This will be the reorganization of the boards. Removal of dead boards, removal of excessive and unwarranted subforums, downsizing descriptions, and a skin change. Staff will be reorganized. Staff recruitment will begin again, the 15 post requirement will be lowered to a single post, and postcount will be enabled in Introduction section to make it so the new users intro will count as their one valid post as well as bring more incentive to the regulars to welcome new users to the community.

I'd like to be able to come up with some kind of incentive for people to spread the word about the community. I'd also like help on fixing and setting up the ability to login via facebook and twitter accounts (the feature has been broken on this forum because I failed to set it up properly apparently).

I also intend to upgrade the software to the latest security patch, and pay to reactivate our spam management.

I'm hoping to be able to set aside some time later this week to be able to call and see about getting internet setup at my house so I can be able to get things accomplished here. I've been away far too long.

• Like 3

Glad to hear it, and I hope that all goes well. There has been some dissent for the past little while with the state of the forum on the Leaking Ship thread, and its great to see that these concerns will be seen to.

Also I plan on making another contribution to get the new server set up. Good to have you back!

Glad to hear it, and I hope that all goes well. There has been some dissent for the past little while with the state of the forum on the Leaking Ship thread, and its great to see that these concerns will be seen to.

Also I plan on making another contribution to get the new server set up. Good to have you back!

why dont you get my server or something similar? its much faster in speed then what you plan to get, 1 gbit down, and 200 mbit up, unlimited bandwith. Also 4 TB of HDD space and 32 GB of ram, and a Intel Xeon E3 1245v2 processor @ 3.4 ghz with a 3.8 boost. 4 cores/8 threads (technially a 8 core CPU). All of that for $55 a month you can 3 of these and they will equal about the same price of the server you are getting. If you want to learn more go here

https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/mini-sp.xml

Also i have been spread the word of this community for quite some time via @ youtube. By uploading BD trailers and directing people here if they want to download the anime for the trailer they watched. Each of my trailers have already a couple thousand views :D

:boss:

Well GL with the upgrade you have my support.

Edited by shaqsalazar

You can read the official statement here.

Summary:

OVH offered cheap servers without limiting the number of servers a customer could have. People abused their system by buying many of the cheaper servers. I saw people saying they bought 3, others up to 10... OVH didn't have enough servers to provide to new customers, let alone all the regular customers wanting to upgrade. So, they labelled all the servers as 'Sold Out' until they can sort everything out.

You can read the official statement here.

Summary:

OVH offered cheap servers without limiting the number of servers a customer could have. People abused their system by buying many of the cheaper servers. I saw people saying they bought 3, others up to 10... OVH didn't have enough servers to provide to new customers, let alone all the regular customers wanting to upgrade. So, they labelled all the servers as 'Sold Out' until they can sort everything out.

ahhh figured as much, thts way it took a whole month before i could get mines. This only happen because of the sale/new pircing policy they had over the summer

whaaat a minute. are you telling me that this server downloads at 10X my current internet speed. How does this all work. Im new to servers. Do i still need a internet provider?

I believe you rent the server which is located in the companies data centre, then access it remotely through your own internet connection.

whaaat a minute. are you telling me that this server downloads at 10X my current internet speed. How does this all work. Im new to servers. Do i still need a internet provider?

I believe you rent the server which is located in the companies data centre, then access it remotely through your own internet connection.

right but how can you achieve such high data rates like shaq's? i mean data transfer is bottled by the company you pay for internet connection. 

hmm. so how do i , the owner of such server, connect to my server to access those speeds. I mean do they have my computer hooked directly to it and so i download stuff to my computer through server @ server speeds without having to go through bright house/comcast /broadband connection? So am i pretty much paying a company for internet connection + hardware to store data? Thanx for being patient!

servers like that pay for and connect directly to their countries infrastructure thus are able to achieve far higher speeds then any personal computer most servers of that speed dont even use ethernet but fibre optic lines for their internet connections

added the quote after but question remains same!

• Like 1

hmm. so how do i , the owner of such server, connect to my server to access those speeds. I mean do they have my computer hooked directly to it and so i download stuff to my computer through server @ server speeds without having to go through bright house/comcast /broadband connection? So am i pretty much paying a company for internet connection + hardware to store data? Thanx for being patient!

servers like that pay for and connect directly to their countries infrastructure thus are able to achieve far higher speeds then any personal computer most servers of that speed dont even use ethernet but fibre optic lines for their internet connections

added the quote after but question remains same!

What you are paying for is a server (google is). It is a separate entity. You pay for it as well as paying your ISP.

Your personal transfer rates are solely governed by your ISP. You pay them more, you get more.

The server's transfer rates are just as advertised (sometimes marked as 'best effort' as to avoid guaranteeing them). They do not represent, in any way, shape, or form, your personal upload/download to/from the server.

• Like 1

Sounds good, yo. I started working full time once again just a few weeks ago, so Java and I are still a little tight in the money department, but I'm still around. I'm not in a secure facility like before, so I'm never too far away and can be reached pretty easily on the Facebooks or text or whatevs. I work 0730-1700, plus/minus for traffic, but it's a regular weekday job, so weekends should always be free for me.

Java might be willing to help if he can be pulled away from Defiance or Halo or whatever it is he's playing when I'm working, haha.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan.  Minkseru and I would love to download donate, but with the new baby only a few short weeks away...kind of hard.  I can however be on more often.  I kind of turned into hermit mode and only got on to do the graphic contest.  I should be on more often now and catch up on everything.  If there is anything you need help with just let me know.

Edited by ∂яεαмεя

• 3 months later...

I am here because I was for years a member of Cartoon World but found a noticce after not visiting fora  while that that form was closed and moved here. I hoipe to foind out more but so far have not found out any main notices. I hope things can keep going.

• Nekone locked this topic