Do you smoke weed?

Ripcat

A factual report will do well to prove your entire post wrong. Most people claim it is bad for health, when it is really bad for your "health" when it becomes an addiction and a uncontrollable want.

Waste of money; that's another concept held in the eye of the beholder. Prescribed it? Well you don't have much of a choice unless you seek alternatives to it. Most of the people who I talk to that smoke it, go in together to get "X" amount of grams of it and smoke it together.

Legal? Well what if you've been prescribed it? Like Koby mentioned earlier. It's only illegal because the government can't get their "fair share" of the profits. I find it funny though that americans used to grow tobacco and profit off it because it was considered a luxury good however they taxed merchants like hell to ship it back to Europe. Ironically the situation is similar for marijuana.

Some people really get sick when they are hooked to it and then it will be a waste of money.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people really get sick when they are hooked to it and then it will be a waste of money.
I generally don't hear about people getting sick smoking marijuana, in most cases they have some rare genetic disorder perhaps?

I'm not quite sure how becoming sick from it relates to it being a waste of money though, as Koby just stated, marijuana has no addictive properties unlike Cigarettes (Even then, Nicotine is added into the process when forming cigarettes from tobacco). If you took out nicotine from cigarettes, you would have a plain tobacco product without addictive properties. Now that, I can see as being a waste of money; but someone out there probably would think otherwise. Marijuana in general doesn't even come near the problems caused by other more serious drugs when you compare statistics side by side.

In regards to your example, you say if you get sick from it - it's a waste of money? I get sick riding amusement park rides and throw up but I don't exactly call it a waste of my money.

I generally don't hear about people getting sick smoking marijuana, in most cases they have some rare genetic disorder perhaps?

I'm not quite sure how becoming sick from it relates to it being a waste of money though, as Koby just stated, marijuana has no addictive properties unlike Cigarettes (Even then, Nicotine is added into the process when forming cigarettes from tobacco). If you took out nicotine from cigarettes, you would have a plain tobacco product without addictive properties. Now that, I can see as being a waste of money; but someone out there probably would think otherwise. Marijuana in general doesn't even come near the problems caused by other more serious drugs when you compare statistics side by side.

In regards to your example, you say if you get sick from it - it's a waste of money? I get sick riding amusement park rides and throw up but I don't exactly call it a waste of my money.

I meant if people do it to much, they will get sick, but if someone wants to do it, well he has to be cautious while doing so and it's kind of funny how cigarettes are just as worse, but that they never get banned.

I meant if people do it to much, they will get sick, but if someone wants to do it, well he has to be cautious while doing so and it's kind of funny how cigarettes are just as worse, but that they never get banned.

Still. I have heard almost no stories about someone becoming sick from smoking marijuana. I don't get where you are getting information about people becoming sick from smoking marijuana. Like I said, there is a possibility in the rare case that someone's genetics is what plays the role but I have heard of no such thing as of yet.

Cigarettes are simply tobacco wrapped in paper with a smidge of nicotine. Why are they not on the same level as marijuana on legal issues? Tobacco has become a product of an industry, an industry that creates nice amount of money that the american government utilizes through taxes placed on goods.

Do you see any shops across all 50 states that legally sell marijuana to those without a prescription? No.

I meant if people do it to much

I smoked teh herb for over 10 years and never got sick once, same with everyone else I've ever known that smokes it (which is quite a few people). Once I need to stop I just quit, no questions asked or hard times about it.

There is alot of misinformation floating around about herb, mostly spouted off by people that have never seen or even smoked it.

I smoked teh herb for over 10 years and never got sick once, same with everyone else I've ever known that smokes it (which is quite a few people). Once I need to stop I just quit, no questions asked or hard times about it.

There is alot of misinformation floating around about herb, mostly spouted off by people that have never seen or even smoked it.

Exactly. That is a sign of ignorance, which is why education these days fails. It doesn't teach both sides of the story. I don't argue for it, nor do I protest against it. I'm just trying to get everyone on the same page via stating the facts.

I'd also like to introduce Ulquiorra to a very special documentary about marijuana.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_High_Me

lol, thanks, looks nice to watch. I was only stating what I know, but if you put it that way, since one of you guys tried it, I understand. well, it seems the government makes us think what they want us to think, oh and keep this in mind that I live in Australia and the USA government had impact on me, to really make me believe some of their lies. Conclusion: This won't make me try weed and I don't even smoke cigarettes <.<

lol, thanks, looks nice to watch. I was only stating what I know, but if you put it that way, since one of you guys tried it, I understand. well, it seems the government makes us think what they want us to think, oh and keep this in mind that I live in Australia and the USA government had impact on me, to really make me believe some of their lies. Conclusion: This won't make me try weed and I don't even smoke cigarettes <.<

Shrugs. Go to show how far the american goverment can reach with its spheres of influence. Seeing is not believing. I find it lame that I have to quote a video game but you can't just believe blindly because in most cases you'll be believing lies.

This is all evidence gathered on marijuana over the years, most are scientific studies done in the UK, since it is illegal to study/research in the United States, evidence used from the USA is virutally useless, while others discredit a lot of these studies, saying "they weren't performed in a "controlled environment".

http://www.skunked.co.uk/articles/medicinal-marijuana.htm

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/december162010/oz-pot-pl.php

AIDS Wasting Syndrome The involuntary loss of 10 percent of body weight or more that is not attributable to other disease processes. It is critical for HIV and AIDS patients to maintain a healthy appetite and body weight to avoid opportunistic infections. Medical cannabis appears to help counter the appetite loss, nausea, and pain associated with HIV and AIDS and their commonly prescribed medications. Medical organizations specializing in AIDS research are some of strongest advocates for legalizing medical cannabis, calling it "potentially lifesaving medicine".

Arthritis More than 100 inflammatory joint disorders characterized by pain, swelling, and limited movement. Arthritis involves the inflammation and degeneration of cartilage and bone that make up the joint. Experts estimate that more than 31 million people in the United States alone suffer from various degrees of the disease. Common forms of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Emerging evidence implies that cannabis can help alleviate symptoms of both conditions.

Cannabis' pain reducing properties are well documented and emerging evidence indicates that it holds anti-inflammatory qualities. Dale Gieringer, author of the paper "Review of Human Studies on the Medical Use of Marijuana," cites three animal and laboratory studies documenting cannabis' potential anti-inflammatory effects. Also, a 1988 study by an British research team found the cannabinoid CBD (cannabidiol) ameliorated inflammation in mice.

Brain Injury/Stroke Cannabinoids possess neuroprotective properties (1,2). Researchers at the National Institutes for Mental Health (NIMH) demonstrated in 1998 that the cannabinoids THC and cannabidiol (CBD) are potent anti-oxidants in animals. (3) Doctors rely on anti-oxidants to protect stroke and head trauma victims from exposure to toxic levels of reactive molecules, so-called "free radicals", that are produced when the brain's blood supply is cut off. Head injuries and strokes cause the release of excessive glutamate, often resulting in irreversible damage to brain cells.

Multiple SclerosisAffects the central nervous system. MS exacerbations appear to be caused by abnormal immune activity that causes inflammation and the destruction of myelin (the protective covering of nerve fibers) in the brain, brain stem or spinal cord. Symptoms include muscle spasms, depression, and incontinence (involuntary loss of urine) or urinary retention.

In a 1998 review article published in the journal Drug and Alcohol Review, Drs. Linda Growing et al. observed that the distribution of cannabinoid receptors in the brain suggests that they may play a role in movement control. The authors hypothesized that cannabinoids might modify the autoimmune cause of the disease. If so, it is possible that cannabis may both relieve symptoms of MS and retard its progression.

Nausea associated with cancer chemotherapy A large body of clinical research exists concerning the use of cannabis and cannabinoids for chemotherapy- induced nausea and vomiting. A review of the medical literature reveals at least 31 human clinical trials examining the effects of cannabis or synthetic cannabinoids on nausea, not including several U.S. state trails that took place between 1978 and 1986. In reviewing this literature, Hall et al. concluded that "… THC [delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol] is superior to placebo, and equivalent in effectiveness to other widely-used anti-emetic drugs, in its capacity to reduce the nausea and vomiting caused by some chemotherapy regimens in some cancer patients".

Anti-Tumor Effects Research indicates that cannabinoids may help protect against the development of certain types of tumors. Recently, a Spanish research team reported in Nature that injections of synthetic THC eradicated malignant brain tumors - so-called gliomas - in one-third of treated rats, and prolonged life in another third by as much as six weeks. Team leader Manuel Guzman called the results "remarkable" and speculated that they "may provide a new therapeutic approach for the treatment of malignant gliomas". An accompanying commentary remarked that this was the first convincing study to demonstrate that cannabis-based treatment may combat cancer. Other journals have also recently reported on cannabinoids' anti-tumoral potential.

Asthma A breathing disorder caused by inflammation and swelling of the small airways (bronchioles) that afflicts some 10 million Americans, killing more than 4,000 annually. When the bronchioles become inflamed, swollen, and filled with mucus, the airways constrict and patients have difficulty breathing. Asthma attacks are typically treated with "bronchodilators," drugs that relax and open the bronchioles, or anti-inflammatory steroids to reduce swelling.

The Australian National Task Force on Cannabis determined, "Smoked cannabis, and to a lesser extent oral THC, have an acute bronchodilatory effect in both normal persons and persons with asthma". A handful of human studies demonstrate this effect, including one that showed smoking even low THC cannabis produced bronchodilation nearly equivalent to a clinical dose of isoproterenol. The House of Lords 1998 "Ninth Report" on cannabis acknowledged that cannabinoids seemed to work as effectively as conventional asthma drug treatments. Experiments using oral THC produced a smaller bronchodilator effect after a substantial delay, and proved to be a bronchial irritant when administered as an aerosol.

Epilepsy a common neurological disorder that afflicts nearly 2.5 million Americans. Patients suffering from epilepsy experience periodic, recurrent seizures triggered by the misfiring of certain brain cells. These seizures occur in various forms, ranging from mild to severe convulsions and loss of consciousness. Standard treatment for epilepsy involves anti-convulsants. While there are several studies and references by the Institute of Medicine, House of Lords Science and Technology Committee, Australian National Task Force on Cannabis, and others regarding cannabis' anti-convulsant properties, there are few human studies specific to epilepsy.

A double blind controlled study on the effects of the marijuana compound cannabidiol (CBD) on epilepsy yielded favorable results. "Fifteen patients suffering from secondary generalized epilepsy with temporal focus were randomly divided into two groups. Each patient received, in a double-blind procedure, 200-300 mg daily of CBD or placebo. … All patients and volunteers tolerated CBD very well and no signs of toxicity or serious side effects were detected on examination. Four of the eight CBD subjects remained almost free of convulsive crises throughout the experiment and three other patients demonstrated partial improvement on their clinical condition".

Glaucoma Disorder that results from an imbalance of pressure within the eye. Characterized by an increase in intraocular pressure (IOP) that progressively impairs vision and may lead to permanent blindness. Glaucoma remains second leading cause of blindness in the US. The aim of glaucoma treatment is to reduce interocular pressure. Several human studies demonstrate that inhaled cannabis lowers IOP in subjects with normal IOP and glaucoma. Some animal studies indicate that cannabis can also be effective when administered topically (e.g. as an eye drop.) Two of the eight legal U.S. medical marijuana patients have used government cannabis to effectively maintain their eyesight for more than a decade.

Migraine a type of episodic, recurrent, severe headache lasting hours to days. Migraine is typically accompanied sensitivity to light, intolerance to loud noises, and nausea or vomiting. Surveys indicate that 15 to 25 percent of women and five to 10 percent of men suffer from migraine.

A century ago, physicians commonly prescribed cannabis for migraine. Famed physician William Osler wrote that it was "probably the most satisfactory remedy" for migraine in his textbook, The Principles and Practice of Medicine.

Some patients and physicians are once again showing interest in examining cannabis' potential to treat symptoms of migraine. A recent article in the medical journal Pain (Journal of the Association for the Study of Pain) concluded that "cannabis delivered … in the form of a marijuana cigarette, or 'joint,' presents the hypothetical potential for quick, effective, parenteral [non-orally administered] treatment of acute migraine." The author called cannabis a "far safer alternative" than many prescription anti-migraine drugs, and reported that a large percentage of migraine sufferers fail to respond or cannot tolerate standard therapies.

Schizophrenia Cannabis' impact on patients suffering from schizophrenia is not well understood and often disputed. The Australian National Task Force on Cannabis cites anecdotal clinical evidence that "schizophrenic patients who use cannabis and other drugs experience exacerbations of symptoms, and have a worse clinical course, with more frequent psychotic episodes than those who do not". However, the researchers admit that "very few well controlled studies" have documented this relationship.

In his book Marihuana The Forbidden Medicine, Dr. Lester Grinspoon (with James Bakalar) cites a pair of studies that found schizophrenic patients who used cannabis responded better to the disease than nonusers. One study reported that patients who smoked marijuana had "fewer delusions and, above all, fewer of the so-called negative symptoms, which include apathy, limited speech, and emotional unresponsiveness." The other study concluded that those who used cannabis had a "lower rate of hospital admissions than those who used no drugs at all. The paticipants said that cannabis helped them with anxiety, depression, and insomnia." Grinspoon also notes that in his own clinical experience, schizophrenics who regularly use cannabis generally regard it as helpful.

Eating Disorders Survey data beginning in 1970 demonstrated a strong relationship between inhaling marijuana and increased appetite. This data also found a majority of cannabis users reporting that "marijuana made them enjoy eating very much and that they consequently ate a lot more.") Cannabis is also documented to enhance the sensory appeal of foods.

Several human trials have established cannabis' ability to stimulate food intake and weight gain in healthy volunteers. Dr. Leo Hollister of the Veterans Administration Hospital in Palo Alto, California presided over two separate experiments that found "total food intake, as well as reports of hunger and appetite, are increased … after oral administration of marihuana." A later trial of 27 cannabis smokers and ten controls concluded that marijuana smokers ate more and gained more weight than non-smokers after 21 days in a hospital research ward. The cannabis-smoking group immediately began eating less after ceasing their marijuana use.

General Pain Sensation of physical discomfort, mental anguish, or suffering caused by aggravation of the sensory nerves. It remains the most common symptom for which patients seek therapeutic relief. Cannabis has historically been used as an analgesic, and was commonly prescribed by physicians in England and America in the 19th and 20th centuries. Many researchers now believe that cannabinoids hold promise as safe and effective pain reducers with no physical-dependence-inducing properties.

Authors of the 1999 Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, "Marijuana as Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," describe three types of pain that may be ameliorated by cannabinoids: somatic pain, visceral pain, and neuropathic pain. Researchers appear most interested in examining cannabis' ability to relieve neuropathic pain, which results from injury to nerves, peripheral receptors, or the central nervous system, because it is often resistant to standard opioids.

• 3 weeks later...

True. it's always best to read up before hand to take full advantage of the discussion.

All I said was that to me, it's a waste of money because I have no serious problems.

I'd rather buy video games or get hammered on a weekend.

Still, some people need it weither it's medical or for the hellovit.

Who really cares, because it's their business.

I think it's wrong of a person to just say it's stupid or wrong without some knowledge and proof.

Consideration towards others, y'know?

True. it's always best to read up before hand to take full advantage of the discussion.

All I said was that to me, it's a waste of money because I have no serious problems.

I'd rather buy video games or get hammered on a weekend.

Still, some people need it weither it's medical or for the hellovit.

Who really cares, because it's their business.

I think it's wrong of a person to just say it's stupid or wrong without some knowledge and proof.

Consideration towards others, y'know?

Yup. I don't support it nor do I condone it, but I don't try and deny it's existence and continue to misinform others about it through hearsay. It does indeed have medicinal purposes under specific scenarios, but those who are denying that fact and continually argue that it's completely BS, are ignorant of scientific studies and factual data.

I just don't like sitting around listening to people babble on about what they "Think" they know, compared to what I "Factually" know. (In a way, I don't pick on people because of the subject, but their lack of knowledge. I generally don't participate in discussions that I'm not well-read in but when I do, I pick on people who aren't; it's just my personality and I apologize to anyone who has in the past that has taken offense to my somewhat aggressive posts.)

meh never tried it never will ive never smoked ive never drank and i dont do drugs unlike many i kept my promise to the dare officer =P but in all honesty i hate the taste of alcohol and i cant understand why any sane person would intentionally inhale smoke into thier lungs i cant grasp the concept and it sure as hell does not appeal to me now dont get me wrong if you smoke or drink so long as your not an ass while drunk and your not blowing smoke in my face i dont give a rats ass if you do thats your choice to piddle away your money not mine

my thoughts exactly, but if it were a family member or someone you care about who smoked, than that's a different story. but that's because you care for them and don't want them to get sick, hurt, addicted or die.