Gauging Interest in Forum Game Concept

Dae314

So everything that's been mentioned so far with the sheet has been fixed. Anything else broken on the sheet that needs to be fixed before go live?

I decided to omit the graph b/c it took up too much space and looked ugly.

Also, I think I should explain the defensive phase calculation stuff a bit more:

Those numbers are there purely for you to see what would happen if someone attacked you and to check that your attacker's numbers are correct. Like I said in the instructions, the attacker does all the calculations and displays the changed values. The defender is responsible for ensuring the correctness of those values and alerting the attacker if they calculated something incorrectly. The reason why that box is there is because I didn't want players to have to swap the stats data manually just to check someone else's work.

@Mute

For now, I'm going to ignore that, and we'll see what happens. If you get >=145 on the IQ test, your stat will be 145. Unless you can suggest a better game for int, I don't have another option. However, I did what I could to balance things:

Str was already pretty balanced, it takes a score of 230 to get ~145

Dex I increased so it takes a score of 95 to get ~145

Speed I increased so it takes a score of 200000 to get ~145

Luck I left alone because it takes 6200 to score ~145

I feel like for all those games (including the IQ test) it takes a LOT of skill to hit 145. 200 is an idealized max that's really never meant to be reached. After some initial plays on the games, your score should rise to the range of 120-145. At that point it's more effective to play the forum game and gain EXP to purchase the items that will give you % boosts than it is to try and up your base stats. Level ups also help to bring the focus off of the flash games and on to the forum game as play progresses.

TBH I didn't consider 145 to be a soft max before, but now that you found that out about the IQ test, I've made it that way. Even if a better game is found for the int stat, I'll probably still keep this balance of scoring (so that at ~145 the scores are pretty high in all the games).

If this becomes a problem while playing the game, I'll close the pilot run and see if I can find a better game before retrying.

Finally, I'm a bit conflicted on this, but I'd like to see what happens in the pilot run before I jump to change things:

Everyone seems to be having problems with the luck game, and it's skewing the max score =(. That game only has 5 levels in it, and if you actually finish all of them you can easily score between 6000 and 6500 (which is around what I can do my high score is actually something like 6750). I wanted that to be the average or slightly above average, but putting it that high will kill all the first-time-players in that game since most scores were in the 1000 to 3000 range. For now, I'm going to leave the equation as it is (max at 8500) and see if people eventually start posting lots of base 150+ luck scores. If they do, I'll up the max after the pilot run and encourage people to just play the game 5 or 6 times to get used to it and score normally.

Edited by Dae314

I'm actually just horrible at all arcade type games and accept my poor scores. It can be part of my character. Has horrible luck, always rolls critical failures, is likely to lop off her own foot by accident. The games don't appeal to me much and I don't care enough to keep trying to get better scores when I'll probably never play the Flash games again, haha.

Haha I tend to rely as little as possible on luck for all games as I swear that I have a 90% chance to fail when relying on luck :(

Yeah, when I play a turn-based game that gives me hit percentages of, like, 80-90%, I still manage to miss.

Whereas enemies with 20-30% chances of hitting do usually hit AND it's a critical strike.

I just kind of

tumblr_m9gcuhiQl11qzckow.gif

Hehe, Hawk might not like my system for generating items then ^^.

I'll do a final rule check tonight and probably post the pilot after that. I'll name the thread something along the lines of "Forum RPG Game". I'm going to leave out the word pilot in case the game happens to take off, but this really is a pilot run to see what'll happen ^^.

My raw scores (first number) and stats (second number)

Strength: 220:138 (My old atari binges made me STRONGER! [more than 30% of my score came from the "bounce the ball" test ^^])

Intelligence: 143:143 (Curse you final pattern for not making sense!)

Dexterity: 75:136 (Wheeeeeeee!)

Speed: 144000:120 (Bang bang! Have a nice day!)

Luck: 5040:119 (Gotta catch 'em all!)

Erm...

Just to be clear up front, I'm still gonna release the pilot tonight, but I was rolling my own stats (because you know... the TM post needs to have the TM's stats in it :P), and I happened to get very very lucky in the luck game...

Untitled.png

So... um... yes, I scored 9331 on the thing. Which means I overcut the max score I have in the equation right now (8500) by almost a thousand points... This evals my luck score to 220. This is obviously an over-inflated stat, but people are doing so terribly on the game that I would feel really bad >.< normalizing the luck score to have 9000 be 145 >.< (that would mean a max score of ~12500 and people with 3000 in the game would get 48 for their stat...). You can also see my past score there 7330...

Ya... I'm putting out one last plea for you guys to please do better in the luck game before I go live so I can justify moving the max score up to 12500 or 13000 (which makes 6250/6500 the average score). If everyone is still failing this game (or hasn't replied) by the time I'm ready to start the pilot I'm going to artificially deflate my luck score for the pilot run to 120.

The reason I need players to score better in order to move up is because new players looking at the old player's base scores and seeing base 45 will think to themselves "gee that luck game is really unbalanced" and if they look at my base score at 220, they'll think "omg he's so making that up! what a hypocrite!" T_T. However, if everyone has base 100 or so and I have base 145 they'll think "omg so you can do better in that game!!! I'm gonna try harder" well at least hopefully that's what they'll think. So please raise your scores T_T