Gauging Interest in Forum Game Concept

Dae314

Oh one more thing ^^; can you also play this game a couple times and report the score to me (it's very short). I might end up replacing the current speed game with that one since that one seems to have a better scoring system for what I want to use it for. That mission red one gives scores with too much variation I think =/.

edit: Completely off topic, but when I just put the link up there to that game the forum actually pulled down the flash game and started playing it right in my post xD. That was pretty awesome.

Edited by Dae314

SUPER RAW GAME SCORES

For the recent game you posted:

20178 // 42954

A little glitchy? Sometimes the circles didn't disappear when I clicked them, so I ended up clicking them again and it'd count as a miss.

Strength:

180.15 // 173.86

Dexterity:

32 // 48

Speed:

106,000 // 138,000

Luck:

777 // 928

After running them through the equations, this is what I got:

Strength: 120

Intelligence: 200

Dexterity: 64

Speed: 138

Luck: 19

Edited by Emotional Outlet

I wanted raw scores so that I can change the equations if I need to. Don't worry though, I can do basic algebra to get your raw scores. That also means you may or may not be able to use those exact numbers in the actual game for your stats. Keep your raw scores with you though b/c you'll be able to use that with the final equations. Like I said earlier too, I'm making an excel sheet for players which will have all the equations and such programmed in, all you'll need to do is fill in numbers and it'll calculate.

@Mute,

The strength game is an entire series of tests, I think there's like 7 of them. The circles is just the first test.

Edited by Dae314

Ok, so I decided to stick with the speed game and see what happens. I've uploaded what I feel is the release candidate for this game to mediafire (links below and in OP). I also crafted the excel sheet as promised. There's several advanced features that you can explore with the sheet :). I'm especially happy that I managed to get the item lookup functions working (see the second sheet in the workbook). I encourage every player to keep their own sheet updated with their information and just input opponent information to do battles. The sheet makes it really easy for you to remember what your raw scores were, track where you put your level up points, find information about items you want, and more. If I forgot to add some calculations, or if there are errors in the sheet please tell me.

Other than the sheet, the rules have been updated with everything we've been talking about. The newbie protection system has been outlined (I'm also happy that I managed to program the newbie protection system into the sheet too), levels have been added, and equations have been balanced according to the averages that you all helped me get. Thank you all very much for your help. I'd like to ask that you read the rules thoroughly (just once!) and tell me if you see anything amiss.

/>http://www.mediafire.com/view/?dbbflhbd7kdvuel <- new rules
/>http://www.mediafire.com/view/?3yce19rqbv499x9 <- excel sheet (you need to download to your computer and open in excel for it to work)

If all goes well with this final review, I'll make the game thread in the game section and try a pilot run of the game. I say pilot run, but it could well turn into a full run if it's popular enough. If the game dies, I'll just consider it a pilot and look at optimizing it for another run in the future (or in another forum).

Edited by Dae314

In the spreadsheet I couldn't edit the HP values on the right for the player or opponent.

If a miss pecentage is relevant it is not included in the calculations, using the spreadsheet someone may forget to get a random number and just think they hit anyway. Maybe you could set it up so that the total xp gain is zero if miss percentage is not zero. You could put another box for the random number and have the xp gain box check if random number is greater or equal to miss percentage before calculating the xp gain.

Also I did not realise there was a defensive phase in each attack, lol.

Yeah, kinda helps when everyone is ... you know ... NOT immortal :P

-----------------------------------

Hawkester pulled a sneak attack on Dae

It was successful!

Hawkester decided not to write anything witty.

Dae died.

Hawkester celebrated his victory.

Dae used his thread master powers and resurrected himself.

Dae backstabbed Hawkester.

Hawkester died.

Moral of the story: Leave the thread masters/moderators alone :D

Edited by Hawkester

The HP is editable, you just can't do it with the vanilla sheet because your max HP is currently 0 duh ^^. Put in some value for the strength stat and try to edit it again. You can only put in numbers that are <= your max HP. Also, putting in a constant for RNG is a good idea, thanks.

Also, every attack (or attribute change) has a defensive phase. Why? Because every time you attack, you leave yourself open to being attacked by the next poster. The defensive phase is when someone else attacks you in the next consecutive post. The person who gets attacked doesn't get a chance to attack back just because someone attacked them. In order to attack back, you need to make another attack post attacking the person who attacked you!!! (confused yet? ^-^).

So when I say some spells only take effect during the defensive phase, that means the spells give you a boost ONLY AFTER you've made your attack post. Then, the next poster to attack you, hits you while the spell is boosting your stats. Actually, most defensive spells will just take some % off the damage dealt to you or take off a constant value from the damage dealt to you.

Edited by Dae314

The problem I have is different to EO. I am using Open Office, so maybe that is why.

The validity of the cell was set to less than or equal to 0.

I just edited it to be less than or equal to ROUND($D$10).

I think EO's problem is that the validity in excel is just set to $D$10, but D10 is not an integer, it is just displayed to the nearest whole number. So the validity is set to something like less than or equal to 399.7 so 400 is invalid.

Just stick a ROUND() in the validity and it will work fine.

Edited by zx0

"Cannot edit" and "cannot make equal to my max HP" are different problems ^^.

For EO, you did find a legitimate problem. The issue that I'm seeing is that my display value is set to round everything to be whole numbers. However, excel is keeping the decimal value and using that when I reference it in equations. I didn't expect this, and when I stuck in the validation rule at "Must be whole number <= your max HP" it ended up trying to match your whole number against a decimal that's actually lower than your number because it's being rounded. I fixed the problem by forcing the value to round in the comparison. I'll release that version as final since it's a minor fix.

Also, I wanna add a graph of your skills just because I feel like it ^^. Also, I need to add in zx0's RNG value and I need to add in a flag to replace your Hit Factor with your Magic Factor just in case spells require that.

Also, for you guys using open office or libre office, I can't guarantee full functionality of the sheet. I used some fairly advanced Excel commands in the sheet, and those might not transfer over 100% correctly to those other venues. Judging by zx0's comment about open office, try using libre office and see if it supports the excel sheet more fully.

Edited by Dae314

With the Intelligence stat, if you go purely by the test score, it only goes up to "above 145" meaning you cannot possibly get to your theoretical maximum of 200. (screenshot provided for anyone who questions that I actually got the score) Took my time on questions that I wasn't sure about, and got the final answer in with 5 seconds to spare.

ve3qkl.jpg