Thoughts on adults dressing up, and/or celebrating Halloween.

Minkseru

On 10/4/2012 at 1:53 AM, Minkseru said:

Ok first off this is not whether or not adults should run around in those half pieces of clothing walmart and costume stores call costume, personally most of those3 belong in a strip club, not in everday settings, but rather your thoughts on adults getting into halloween, and dressing up to celebrate the americanised holiday of hallow's eve.

Personally me and the wife are one of the few on the entire block in our neighborhood who have the lights on for trick or treaters. Our neighbors are not big fans I guess of it. Last year was kind of mellow this year we have the expense to celebrate, and next year we are growing black pumpkins. We celebrate it as one of the few holidays we care about because it is one of the few times your house, and attire can be creepy, or cheerful, and no one thinks twice about it.

Well I like dressing up in weird costumes at Halloween. I think it's awesome

I don't see anything wrong with it. I love holidays were things can be decorated and themed, just the atmosphere change. Plus dressing up in different costumes and stuff is fun, probably why cosplay has taken off so much.

Now, if adults showed up at my door trying to get candy I'd be less cool with it, haha.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I don't see a problem with it. Where I live we get a good number of kids coming by on Halloween (~300 this past October!) and I would say approx. 20% of the parents are wearing a costume as well. It seems like more of a thing parents do to have fun with their kids. I'm fine with that. I don't have much of an opinion about adults dressing up without kids or trick-or-treating involved. If it's a Halloween party for adults, then sure, do your thing.

1 hour ago, Zemekis said:

I don't see a problem with it. Where I live we get a good number of kids coming by on Halloween (~300 this past October!) and I would say approx. 20% of the parents are wearing a costume as well. It seems like more of a thing parents do to have fun with their kids. I'm fine with that. I don't have much of an opinion about adults dressing up without kids or trick-or-treating involved. If it's a Halloween party for adults, then sure, do your thing.

Wow. 300 kids coming to your house sounds like a lot to me. I live in the country on a ranch outside of a town with a population of about 800 folks. My daughter attends a school where there is pretty much just one class per grade with around 15-20 kids per grade. Sometimes we don't even have enough sign-ups to make a 5 person basketball team or a 6-person football team. For halloween, we usually have a town event at the fire station and then our church also does an event where the kids get to play a bunch of games and win candy. Not many kids do the whole door to door thing anymore. Probably because there are so many sex offenders these days. Even our small ass town has 9 registered sex offenders, though most of them live in the junky RV park that people stay clear of.

On 12/12/2023 at 12:34 PM, Koby said:

Wow. 300 kids coming to your house sounds like a lot to me. I live in the country on a ranch outside of a town with a population of about 800 folks. My daughter attends a school where there is pretty much just one class per grade with around 15-20 kids per grade. Sometimes we don't even have enough sign-ups to make a 5 person basketball team or a 6-person football team. For halloween, we usually have a town event at the fire station and then our church also does an event where the kids get to play a bunch of games and win candy. Not many kids do the whole door to door thing anymore. Probably because there are so many sex offenders these days. Even our small ass town has 9 registered sex offenders, though most of them live in the junky RV park that people stay clear of.

I live out in the sticks as well, although our school grades aren't quite as small. I think my town is between 3 and 4 thousand. There isn't a "town" to speak of really, just a smattering of neighborhoods. My neighborhood backs up to an apartment complex and a few rows of townhouses, but there isn't much beyond that. It's the reason why I get so many kids coming by, though. It's 1.5hrs drive to the nearest city & our grocery stores have horse parking. The last notable crime committed here was in 2008 from what I can tell, so traditional Halloween culture is alive and well. I know it's been on the decline elsewhere, and when I lived closer to the city for 2 years we had that crummy "trunk or treat" thing where the kids walk around a parking lot. It felt so sterile & clinical. I agree that a leading cause for the reduction in door to door Halloween traffic is likely the increase in creepers. There seem to be far more sickos out there these days, or just maladjusted people due to being terminally online. I won't be shocked if the kids themselves would rather play on an iPad than go out for Halloween soon. It's probably already happening.

Do you like where you live? I don't think I could handle anything more urban. I've traveled a lot and even lived in Tokyo for 1.5 years, but in my opinion nothing beats country living in the USA.

8 hours ago, Zemekis said:

I live out in the sticks as well, although our school grades aren't quite as small. I think my town is between 3 and 4 thousand. There isn't a "town" to speak of really, just a smattering of neighborhoods. My neighborhood backs up to an apartment complex and a few rows of townhouses, but there isn't much beyond that. It's the reason why I get so many kids coming by, though. It's 1.5hrs drive to the nearest city & our grocery stores have horse parking. The last notable crime committed here was in 2008 from what I can tell, so traditional Halloween culture is alive and well. I know it's been on the decline elsewhere, and when I lived closer to the city for 2 years we had that crummy "trunk or treat" thing where the kids walk around a parking lot. It felt so sterile & clinical. I agree that a leading cause for the reduction in door to door Halloween traffic is likely the increase in creepers. There seem to be far more sickos out there these days, or just maladjusted people due to being terminally online. I won't be shocked if the kids themselves would rather play on an iPad than go out for Halloween soon. It's probably already happening.

Do you like where you live? I don't think I could handle anything more urban. I've traveled a lot and even lived in Tokyo for 1.5 years, but in my opinion nothing beats country living in the USA.

Oh yes, I love being in the country and would absolutely hate living in a big city. I also like that my daughter attends a smaller school and gets to grow up with the same group of kids always in her class and after school activities yearly.

I'm on a 108 acre ranch and raise cattle for a living and just got into goats this year as well.

13 hours ago, Koby said:

I'm on a 108 acre ranch and raise cattle for a living and just got into goats this year as well.

Oh, very cool. I'm not a rancher but my grandparents & great-grandparents were. We still have ~78 acres between Houston & Austin (near Brenham). My grandparents are 80 and 81 years old now, so they converted the ranch to a bird sanctuary last year in order to keep Ag status. I'm not from Texas, by the way. My grandparents spend about half the year down there to this day. How long have you been raising cattle? Does it run in the family? How are the goats? I haven't raised a goat, but I make cheese as a hobby so I visit the local farms from time to time for raw goat milk.

I feel like we're massively off-topic for this thread, haha. We can move this elsewhere if you'd like.

1 hour ago, Zemekis said:

Oh, very cool. I'm not a rancher but my grandparents & great-grandparents were. We still have ~78 acres between Houston & Austin (near Brenham). My grandparents are 80 and 81 years old now, so they converted the ranch to a bird sanctuary last year in order to keep Ag status. I'm not from Texas, by the way. My grandparents spend about half the year down there to this day. How long have you been raising cattle? Does it run in the family? How are the goats? I haven't raised a goat, but I make cheese as a hobby so I visit the local farms from time to time for raw goat milk.

I feel like we're massively off-topic for this thread, haha. We can move this elsewhere if you'd like.

This ranch was family land. Dad has been running it since 2006. I moved back here in 2018 and have been helping since then and slowly building up my own bit of cattle. My grandpa passed away last year and dad inherited 62 acres of the ranch while my aunt got the rest, but she's agreed to let us continue to utilize, we've just gotta pay the year property taxes on it in her stead. If we only had the 62 acres to tend with, we'd have to cut down on our cattle as we're often at the upper limit of what the whole ranch could handle given the usual 2 acres per cow math... And feeding more hay and feed through winter due to overgrazing would cut deeply into any profit margin.

I haven't started making any money with goats so far. We had something kill 5 of them about 2 weeks after buying them so we started being more protective of them and locking them up in the barn when it gets dark. Only had one baby born since we got them back in October or late September. I've been meaning to take the billies to the sale and buy a different one. Cause ideally you should swap your billies every 2-3 years to prevent inbreeding and well I bought the whole herd off some people trying to get away from goats and I'm not sure how long they've had these billies with the herd.