Ichiyasha

Do you like music for the lyrics or the sound?

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like music for lyrics or sound?

I really enjoy listening to both lyrics and sound.

I find that both are equally important, especially if the music has a message or meaning that it wants to get across to listeners. Some music just seems to be for the beat and night clubs though... Still fun to listen to but it doesn't hold as much meaning for me. I guess it's the memories you can make with music too that can make or break the importance to a song/tune.

I love listening to music, mainly I will pick a song that has some kind of meaning to me lyrics wise, but when it comes to the sound, I find myself listening to more softer music, I can't listen to something such as Slipnot, hurts my ears.lol.

Both, well I can enjoy a song even if the lyrics suck or I don't understand the language but it doesn't work the other way around  BUT If the lyrics are good and if they have a good strong background a good song becomes great and a great song becomes..... magic.

I normally search the meaning behind a music I like if if I like the "story" / background of that music is good the music becomes even more special to me.

Example, Shine on you Crazy Diamond from Pink Floyd.

I like both, but "sound" without lyrics works better than lyrics without "sound."

You made me think of William Shatner music career lol

Depending on my mood I pick different singers by either sound or lyrics. If im in emotional moods i go with lyrics. If I wanna have fun and shake my booty, all that matters is the beat.

I mean, obviously both, but if I absolutely had to pick between the two, I'd go with the actual music. I love instrumental music, so I don't necessarily need lyrics. I love tons of songs from other countries, and since I can't understand a single word, the lyrics don't matter anyway.

On the flipside, I'm not that big into poetry, so I can't say that I could just have lyrics with no music.

But but but, without lyrics I guess I can't belt my heart out when I'm driving.

Edited by Apollo

Both.

Lyrics are powerful, as they can express a wide range of emotions through their composition and content, but they will always have a much 'louder' message when backed by instrumentals that both compliment the lyrics, and carry out the emotions the lyrics attempt to evoke,

If I really like a song, I will sooner or later look up the lyrics. Good ones can make even like the song more, while bad ones can make not like any more at all.

I voted sound. I actually tend to enjoy music in languages I don't speak very well (or not at all) more, just because I can't tell how stupid the lyrics are. And the reason I don't like many songs in my native language is because I can't ignore the lyrics. Of course there are songs with beautiful lyrics, but when I turn on the radio it seems the vast majority of song lyrics vary between inane and really retarded.

I think it's all about who it is. If it's Soulja Boy, I listen out of irony and the hope that he'll accidentally make a good song like he tends to at times. In a case like that, I listen for neither really. Most of the time, I like a nice combination of both of them though, it keeps me intellectually provoked by the lyricism, but also in awe over the production. (P.S. I really really love music ><)

I'd have to say I love both, the music is what draws you into a song when you first hear it and the lyrics are what you fall in love with and find meaning and relate to and the two elements of music and lyrics is what keeps you listening to a song over and over.