Do you like music for the lyrics or the sound?

Ichiyasha

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like music for lyrics or sound?

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoy listening to both lyrics and sound.

I find that both are equally important, especially if the music has a message or meaning that it wants to get across to listeners. Some music just seems to be for the beat and night clubs though... Still fun to listen to but it doesn't hold as much meaning for me. I guess it's the memories you can make with music too that can make or break the importance to a song/tune.

Both, well I can enjoy a song even if the lyrics suck or I don't understand the language but it doesn't work the other way around  BUT If the lyrics are good and if they have a good strong background a good song becomes great and a great song becomes..... magic.

I normally search the meaning behind a music I like if if I like the "story" / background of that music is good the music becomes even more special to me.

Example, Shine on you Crazy Diamond from Pink Floyd.

• 1 month later...

I mean, obviously both, but if I absolutely had to pick between the two, I'd go with the actual music. I love instrumental music, so I don't necessarily need lyrics. I love tons of songs from other countries, and since I can't understand a single word, the lyrics don't matter anyway.

On the flipside, I'm not that big into poetry, so I can't say that I could just have lyrics with no music.

But but but, without lyrics I guess I can't belt my heart out when I'm driving.

Edited by Apollo

Both.

Lyrics are powerful, as they can express a wide range of emotions through their composition and content, but they will always have a much 'louder' message when backed by instrumentals that both compliment the lyrics, and carry out the emotions the lyrics attempt to evoke,

• 4 months later...

I voted sound. I actually tend to enjoy music in languages I don't speak very well (or not at all) more, just because I can't tell how stupid the lyrics are. And the reason I don't like many songs in my native language is because I can't ignore the lyrics. Of course there are songs with beautiful lyrics, but when I turn on the radio it seems the vast majority of song lyrics vary between inane and really retarded.

I think it's all about who it is. If it's Soulja Boy, I listen out of irony and the hope that he'll accidentally make a good song like he tends to at times. In a case like that, I listen for neither really. Most of the time, I like a nice combination of both of them though, it keeps me intellectually provoked by the lyricism, but also in awe over the production. (P.S. I really really love music ><)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...