Minkseru

Is it ok to teach kids to fight?

I saw a compilation video of women being assaulted/robbed but knew martial arts and basically hand their a**es back to them. It was amazing and inspiring to want to get back into martial arts. If I ever had kids I'd put them in some class to use as a form of protection and help train their confidence.

I think if the environment that child is raised in is good ( if the parents know how to raise him ) it lowers the possibility of him becoming a violent person .

I think "fight" and "defend yourself" are very different things, teaching a kid to fight implies you want to teach them to be aggressive and instigate confrontations, whereas teaching them how to defend themselves can provide a multitude of lessons on discipline and when it's better to just walk away from an instigator

I think it doesn’t hurt to teach children self defense, especially when a lot of martial arts – such as karate, Brazilian jiu jitsu, judo – have competitve aspects. It can help with discipline, and also be used as a way of keeping fit.

I took martial arts growing-up. I don't actively practice it today, but I can still recall just about everything I learned. Even though I'm glad I took it, I don't expect to ever be in a situation to use it. However, I rather be ready and never need it, than need it and never have known it. I'm sure that in the moment, the years I spent learning that skill will make all the difference. Being taught that as a young child makes no difference.