Is it ok to teach kids to fight?

Minkseru

Honestly, I can see my children being like myself, the whole quiet big guy sort of thing, I mean sure I could probably raise someone off the ground by their throat fairly easily but I wouldnt, so if my kids get my build I hope they dont become bullies, because I do have the sort of muscular large frame that most bullies have...=(

wow... this thread is like a bout of mutual masturbation in the likes department.... lmao

Teaching kids too fight is a very risky situation. But not because of the kids. Its more about the teachers. I mean, most martial arts and fighting sports teach discipline, mutual respect, sportsmanship and a good sense of morality. But if the teacher isn't following any of these then the children WILL follow his/her example. Best way to explain what I mean, Karate Kid. lol. I don't know about here in Australia, but I know becoming a combat teacher involves a lot of paperwork, federated grades and a supervisory board in Spain. I also know that that doesn't happen in the US, where pretty much anybody can open up a "dojo". THAT is very risky.

But the teaching aside, I believe it build character. I have been a karateka for 13 years and I have a heavy sense of discipline (when I feel like it XP) and mutual respect. But at the same time I have broken peoples' bones in fights and hospitalized a few more. The adolescent years are a very dangerous time for someone that has training. To sum up, it is all a risk but the benefits can be felt in later years, with work ethic being more disciplined and the likes...

• Like 4

I definitely agree with you on say. If you can find a good teacher, then you are set. If you get a bad teacher...then yeah...there is problems with that. Also discipline, mutual respect, and sportsmanship are things that can come good of. It has its pros and cons...best thing to suggest is to know your kid and make sure you watch the changes that might happen with your kid. Anything can happen.

I'm a firm believer that Martial Arts should be taught to kids and, note my words, Martial Arts, not the ability to fight.

It does breed discipline and the benefits to their health in the long run would be obvious. Sure, children can be disturbed but through teamwork and comradeship....this can be reversed.

Bullying would literally be ineffective if the child has these traits....but maybe I'm being a bit naive.

• Like 1

Please keep lighter conversation and one-line posts to a minimum. It's fine to be off-topic pretty much anywhere else and it's fine to agree with each other--you just don't have to do it in every other post, haha.

I never went to kindergarten. As of 2011, only fourteen states mandate kindergarten attendance (California is not among them), so I wouldn't necessarily include kindergarten as being part of elementary school.

As far teaching children self-defence, I'm all for it. (I know the topic says "fight", but there's no need to be pedantic--it's made clear in the OP what he meant, haha) I wouldn't want to see a weapon in a kid's hand before at least middle school, but doing martial arts, keeping active, and being taught discipline, respect, and all that other stuff Rune mentioned is good in my book. When I took krav maga, the gym had classes for kids--I watched a couple of their classes and since the same teachers who taught the adults also taught the kids, I'd imagine they were being taught well. It is definitely shady that pretty much anyone can open their own dojo or whatever, not to mention that people can just buy their belts without even having to earn them. I wouldn't send my kids to a place I wouldn't go to myself--I'd feel way more comfortable if the teachers were capable of teaching both adults and children, not just one or the other.

I once taught some second graders judo hip throws and some shoulder throws to handle kids that were bigger then them. long story short they got suspened for throwing other children, was it a good idea to each them? ahhhhh yaaaaa lol

Haha, if you never taught them about restraint and not picking fights just to show off, then I can't say I'm surprised that they did get suspended.

I know people are shot over this and "snitches get stitches", but I think kids should be taught it's okay to report things, that they don't have to do everything by themselves and that taking matters into their own hands is not always the best course of action. There's being responsible and standing up for yourself, and then there's not knowing your limits or when things are going too far and out of your control.

• Like 2

Please keep lighter conversation and one-line posts to a minimum. It's fine to be off-topic pretty much anywhere else and it's fine to agree with each other--you just don't have to do it in every other post, haha.

I never went to kindergarten. As of 2011, only fourteen states mandate kindergarten attendance (California is not among them), so I wouldn't necessarily include kindergarten as being part of elementary school.

As far teaching children self-defence, I'm all for it. (I know the topic says "fight", but there's no need to be pedantic--it's made clear in the OP what he meant, haha) I wouldn't want to see a weapon in a kid's hand before at least middle school, but doing martial arts, keeping active, and being taught discipline, respect, and all that other stuff Rune mentioned is good in my book. When I took krav maga, the gym had classes for kids--I watched a couple of their classes and since the same teachers who taught the adults also taught the kids, I'd imagine they were being taught well. It is definitely shady that pretty much anyone can open their own dojo or whatever, not to mention that people can just buy their belts without even having to earn them. I wouldn't send my kids to a place I wouldn't go to myself--I'd feel way more comfortable if the teachers were capable of teaching both adults and children, not just one or the other.

I once taught some second graders judo hip throws and some shoulder throws to handle kids that were bigger then them. long story short they got suspened for throwing other children, was it a good idea to each them? ahhhhh yaaaaa lol

Haha, if you never taught them about restraint and not picking fights just to show off, then I can't say I'm surprised that they did get suspended.

I know people are shot over this and "snitches get stitches", but I think kids should be taught it's okay to report things, that they don't have to do everything by themselves and that taking matters into their own hands is not always the best course of action. There's being responsible and standing up for yourself, and then there's not knowing your limits or when things are going too far and out of your control.

We had a Tae Kwon Do school down the road from where I used to live, my mom was teh book keeper for a while over there, and he had students from 5-30ish. Though I will say out of the gyms, dojos, or whatever they call themselves out here, I trust two, a Shao Lin dojo out on the other side of the next town, And the Tae Kwon Do school that is sadly now closed...

Both of them taught self defense before anything else.

• Like 1

Teaching people to defend themselves regardless of size and age is a very important thing to me. Obviously I tone down the more aggressive side of my style and stick to the purely defensive side when dealing with children.. Though I understand that they could get creative and use defensive moves in an offensive manner, which is why the early lessons are more about avoiding a fight, and when it's okay to fight, rather than how to fight. At a young age, they respond much better to instruction like this, and by the time they leave my class, they are generally more proficient than the adults who have come to me.

• Like 1

Honestly, although I am a huge advocate of the martial arts and what they teach, I doubt that they make a significant difference in the outcome of a fight. Normally with fights for kids, either it is a minor scuffle or one side heavily outnumbers the other. I do agree that they should be allowed the right to learn and train, but for most kids it wont make a difference since they dont have the time to spend in order to perfect their own styles of fighting. In a serious fight, that kid will be just as badly hurt by the four other kids, just that he will have hurt them more.

On a lighter note, I still completely agree that they should be taught since they help to hone the mind and the body, as well as teach some modern chivalry and street smarts. Plus it is a good emotional boost when you are able to master something new.

Will say 4 on 1 is rarely coordinated, and the one may get their butt kicked, but part of martial arts is being taught to take a punch or five without buckling. 6 fights out of 10 when the one kid is still standing after the first few punches are thrown the 4 start wavering. Confidence does a ton in a fight. Even if the kid buckles afterward most "gang tactics" expect the intimidation factor of being ganged up on to do most of the work...

That aside running is always a wise tactic in that scenario. Also not getting surrounded helps.

pssh, 4 on 1 is childs play! See what i did there!!

I must say though. Having been a few of those situations, on both sides of the fence I'm not proud to say, self defense really on comes into play if you are ready for it. Of course, to get out of that sorta situation you either have to dish out some pretty serious pain, or get the hell out of dodge. But most children, at least at first, will think they are jackie chan or a fricking power ranger (I was the White Ranger!) and try to fight when the situation doesn't warrant it.

Teaching self defense is all fine and good but with too much self confidence things can go wrong...

When I was in my 9th year of school my Health&Physical Education teacher taught us 'self defence'. We had 2 lessons a week and it spanned over 6months (by memory atleast). Anywho, I'm not joking when I say that for the first month or two all we did was sit and talk about 'what-to-do-situations', and 100% of the time he said run. If someone pulls a knife on you, run. If multiple people come after you, run. If even one person is hassling/harrassing you, walk away. So as a teenager even after the 6months I never really bustled with confidence.

I thank my teacher to this day because I think what he taught was 100% correct. Walking away has gotten me out of ALOT of icky situations. Though I'm not too sure how well my practical skills would fare if I were to get myself in a situation where I need to use it. I still had the 4-5months of practical lessons (which I scored relatively high on) but thankfully never had to use it. Probably because I'm behind a computer screen 90% of the time. :P

A lot of self defense is about making yourself a less attractive target. Pay attention to your surroundings, identify possible threats, that sort of thing. Someone is much more likely to attack you if you look like an easy target. If you do get into a fight, end it as quickly as possible, either by A: running the %^&* away, or B: incapacitating them and then running the %^&* away.

The classic movie cliches of putting your key in your fist, or making a purse hard and heavy so you can beat someone with? Those may not do much good in the movie, but in real life they are quite effective once you know how it's supposed to work.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When I have a kid, they are learning to fight with Martial arts or something. My parents were too poor when I was a kid and I had no idea what that all was. I believe fighting skills are necessary. I live in a ghetto town and I'd fear for my kid walking around by themselves. I've been chased before and pushed around by a gang. Followed by a 3 hour wait for police and recall finding out no one was even coming.

The only concerns are if the kid uses his/her skills not wisely and ends up in jail. I'd teach my kid to always avoid fighting and if it's impossible let them have the first punch. But don't fight on school grounds ever.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't see anything wrong with teaching kids how to fight. Aside from what most people will see, the martial arts is a way to express yourself. No different from a singer or a dancer. On the other side it is survival, knowing how to deffend yourself.

Its not something people ever want to admit but sometimes their kids need to be hit and sometimes their kids need to hit back.

• Like 1