Recommendations For My Roommate

Dae314

This academic year, I set out to get my roommate introduced to anime deeper than just DBZ and Naruto. During the year I introduced him to the following anime (in this order):

1. Code Geass

2. Gurren Lagann

3. Angel Beats

4. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

All of these I did the full series (so 2 seasons of CG and Higurashi). From doing this light survey of various anime from different genres, I've gathered his anime watching preference to be plot driven. What I mean by this is that he values a complex, compelling, and action driven plot over all other factors (like characterization and story telling). He also enjoys a good bit of gore so I've isolated his preference to be within the noir mystery area. He prefers more realistic/gritty art than cartoony/colorful which is why I say noir style. Mystery is also a nice genre where the plot is fairly complicated but resolves itself at the end however, it's not the only genre where this happens so it's open to more than just mystery.

I'm planning to show him Baccano next year just to see how much complexity he can handle (yes, I understand Baccano's story telling style is a bit complicated -_-). However, I'm not very experienced in this area of anime. My preferences run more along the lines of plot progression and characterization so I tend to like anything from a good mystery to a nicely characterized harem. I'm also considering showing him NGE, but I haven't actually watched this myself so I'm not sure what to expect from it. Can people who've watched NGE tell me if it fits within my description of his anime taste? Also, can anyone recommend anime that have a nice complex (but not overly complex) plot drawn to noir style?

Well, for complex storylines that you can follow, try Baccano, Durarara, Death Note, and Gosick. As for NGE, I would reccomend the movies instead of the series, overall they are better and have a lot less whining and other annoying stuff. He would probably enjoy them more than the series, plus the third one is coming out soonish.

This academic year, I set out to get my roommate introduced to anime deeper than just DBZ and Naruto. During the year I introduced him to the following anime (in this order):

1. Code Geass

2. Gurren Lagann

3. Angel Beats

4. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

All of these I did the full series (so 2 seasons of CG and Higurashi). From doing this light survey of various anime from different genres, I've gathered his anime watching preference to be plot driven. What I mean by this is that he values a complex, compelling, and action driven plot over all other factors (like characterization and story telling). He also enjoys a good bit of gore so I've isolated his preference to be within the noir mystery area. He prefers more realistic/gritty art than cartoony/colorful which is why I say noir style. Mystery is also a nice genre where the plot is fairly complicated but resolves itself at the end however, it's not the only genre where this happens so it's open to more than just mystery.

I'm planning to show him Baccano next year just to see how much complexity he can handle (yes, I understand Baccano's story telling style is a bit complicated -_-). However, I'm not very experienced in this area of anime. My preferences run more along the lines of plot progression and characterization so I tend to like anything from a good mystery to a nicely characterized harem. I'm also considering showing him NGE, but I haven't actually watched this myself so I'm not sure what to expect from it. Can people who've watched NGE tell me if it fits within my description of his anime taste? Also, can anyone recommend anime that have a nice complex (but not overly complex) plot drawn to noir style?

Dude, just look at your Avatar and remember how awesome this anime was... It also fits into his tastes. I guess he would like Monster(best mystery anime!) and Puella Magi Madoka Magica(everyone likes it, trust me.) ... dont forget Steins Gate...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife, then girlfriend, was not an anime fan so I had to ease her into it.

The trick for me was Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, Xam'd, Code Geass, Scryd, and Mushi-shi.

The result is she's a huge Gundam fan and has gone through my collection pulling out stuff to watch with me. For instance, she grabbed Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell without being prompted.