End of World

hitech_0101

The mayan calander doesn't end in 2012 and anyone who things it does needs to read more on the subject. Their calander is like ours it rolls over it just does not do it as often. It works with a unit of measurement called a B'ak'tun which is aproxamatly 394.3 solar years. The mayan had a huge celebration every time it rolled over into a new B'ak'tun. And they didn't dissapeir they were conquered by the spanish starting in 1527 and concluding in 1546. And also no mayan writing anywhere predicts the end of the world in any way shape or form.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

This is just my though's on it but eh.

There been things in our human history (I.E. black plague) that all most kill the whole race and made us believe that its the end of the world. Yet we are still here, so why now should we believe that 2012 is any different from the others?

Heh. The Mayans were accomplished astronomers, certainly. However, as I pointed out at another forum:

In the end, they were a victim of their environment. For one, they lived in a continent that stretched more North-South rather than East-West like the Europeans. The disadvantage to the former, when considering societal development over generations, should become clear when you think about two things: (1) climate, and (2) you couldn't travel by car or plane back then.

When someone misinterpreted what I said, I clarified:

That's the point. They were just human like the rest of us, susceptible to the same troubles this world presents. They had no special insight into the true nature of the world inaccessible to the rest of humanity, like the Gnostics claimed for themselves.

So yeah, we'll be fine in 2012, unless something ends up happening that's not as mystical.

Where does it say in the Bible that Jesus didn't know?

What you are quoting is a miss quote of the bible from Mat 24:36 (KJV):

36: But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

If you had a KJV sitting right infront of you you'd see that man is italics. No MAN knows, no not even the angels of heaven.

Well you may very well say: Hey I use the NIV or the RSVB. So lets just say KJV version is null. The NIV version says:

36: No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Well now this is a problem isn't it? Yep. Your right there is. If you really want to know the answer and what the passage really means then you have to stop being lazy and use your brain. Points to remember:

1) Jesus himself created the Heavens and the Earth (John 1:1-5 and John 1:9-18). Jesus is the "Word"

2) Jesus himself will be the one to destory the world (Rev. 19:11-16). Jesus is the rider and he is called "The Word of God"

3) Jesus said himself and the father were as the same (John 14:8-14)

Now the offending passage. Now of course we all can't sit and just learn Greek. But you can look it up and find out what the real passage says. http://www.bibletime.com/faq/notknown is a great place to look to find out the real meaning. The point of the passage is this. No man nor any angel knows. But Jesus DOES. He and the father share like minds. No hidden message or sealed thought between the two. It is true that when Christ was on earth that he didn't understand when the end would be. That is why when asked. He gave discriptions. He could see it but couldn't quit explain it. He was a "man". His mind was limited to what a man could understand. But he does know. Its his kingdom. His hour. His world. This is all of his and he knows and understands all.

To point out something not being rude but the bible is always up for interpretation, but it is interpreted by different people differently. For example If you are oneness god, jesus, and the holy spirit is one and if you are trinitarian you beleive they are all different and for me Jesus prayed in the garden to god not himself, why pray to yourself if your god, and yes the son of god but it doesn't mean he knew when the world would end. But you said in the scripture only the father knows and that is god not Jesus. Anyways sorry for the rant. The world will end if your christian like me when God decides.

• 3 weeks later...

It will end when it will end, seriously no one can predict the end just like no one can say which horse is going to win in a horse race because in the end just because the odds for that horse is good doesn't mean it's %100 going to win in this case, people have interpreted the Mayan calender as the odds of the world ending,

it's funny cos, I guess you could call it religious gambling haha

• 1 month later...

I don't think so the world will end in 2012 but it will end soon by humans only cause 70 to 80% are humans and only 20-30% animals and bird are left and not only that Global warming is also increasing.

but one day it is sure that earth will end.....by humans or by aliens or by sun.....

so enjoy as much as you can as today is your last day and tomorrow won't be there.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the real question is, do you want to know? I mean, if someone could prove to you without a shadow of a doubt that the world was going end a certain way, would it really affect you? If the world was ending next week would you go and be the best you can be? Would you try the hardest and strive to be the best? I seriously doubt that most people would take advantage of that. What if the world was ending 200 years from now? Would it really matter to you? Of course not. You won't be alive.

I know it doesn't answer the question but I just don't feel the need to speculate how things are going end. There is to many other realistic things to worry about in one's life. I'm not saying it isn't an interesting conversation topic, but really, how much can you keep beating a dead horse?

Oh well. Asking questions does make the world go round after all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To be honest I'm surprised we are still here at all. The universe is a danger place one large rock, gamma ray burst, or solar flare is all it would really take.

The mayans were masters at studying the stars and planets, and may have charted the path of an asteroid that we don't know about. It wouldn't even have to be one that hits us straight on. It could just impact with the sun at just the right spot and cause a fatal solar flare. If that happened earth would be stripped of its atmosphere similar to what is believed to have happened to Mars. If we aren't killed in the blast the lack of pressure and the onslaught of solar radiation would make for one very painful way to go.

My personal belief is, that what people believe the end of the mayan calender means isn't correct. I think it just mean the damn thing ends, time to get a new one. The world doesn't end on Jan 1 every year, so I think we'll be ok. Think the confusion is that the mayan seemed to believe that each end of the calender meant the end of one world and the start of a new one. They thought each new world was inhabited be humans made by the gods from a different source like rocks, trees, water that kind of stuff, and that their gods were never happy with their creations. So when a calender ended they started a new world with a new human race. The mayans went through more then one calender so it couldn't have been a true end of the world. Maybe it is just an end to a certain train to thought. 2010 could be the start of the fire race since it will probably be when we nuke each other or leave the planet uninhabitable due to global warming.

I would just hope we have the technology to escape when it all goes bad. Maybe our sun will turn red, maybe our planets core will go boom, who knows. They even said a HUGE planet might come across our solar system and fuck everything up but it's been proven its not coming in the next few years, but maybe it will someday. Makes me wonder if there's life on it. Its gotta be rotating on a set course that just takes thousands of years for it to go around.

• 1 month later...

Here's how I see it. If the world ends up going down in 2012 I don't have to pay my student lone. if it doesn't go up in 2012 I get to enjoy my life. If the world is destroyed y some natural disaster(not related to global warming) there is little I can do about it. If it gets destroyed after I die I won't really care anymore. All i can do i try to help humans no do anything stupid, starting with myself.

• 2 months later...