Do you forget the names of characters?

RazorDan

Well, my anime list is ever growing, and as it does, I find that I'm unable to remember names of various characters haha. The thing is, i'm forgetting protagonists too! I look at my list and pick a random anime on it, and I remember the story, plot etc, but not the name of the main character! What about you guys?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to tell the truth I rarely forget any anime character's name's. Maybe it's coz I got a really good memory(I ain't bragging). I have seen somewhat around 150 animes and can still say almost all the names of the character's from each of these animes. I am confident that I can tell the names of at least 90% anime character's I have seen so far. As for the name of the protagonists I believe I can get 99% of them correctly.

Hahaha........ can't stop laughing

Reminds me of the times when am trying to explain an episode to a friend or an anime that i have recently watched am really terrible.... so terrible i just want to laugh. And every time i describe the character, say his clothing he then responds saying the name you mean........... and i just nod in embarrassment :embarrassed:

Just like you have already mentioned RazorDan i remember the story, plot etc, but not the name of the main character! and Lemmingllama saying just remembering all the major features of a character, works really well and for sure it does.

Its funny that i have a good memory when it comes to my sciences but the thing i enjoy the most i do forget just shows my dedication but i still do try.

The sure are happy times

I haven't seen an outrageous amount of anime, but yes I do suffer from forgetting a characters name. Some time I will have a mind blank and forget main characters names but more on topic I can forget a lot of characters names if they were hard to learn in the first place, that and if they were not a main character then it becomes twice as hard. If you were to ask me who the characters are in some animes like Ikkitousen, Inuyasha (not the mains) and Gurren Lagann (Also not that mains) I am going to have a hard time remembering.

I don't know why I forget I just do.

Always. Well, I really don't even memorize them. I forget it almost instantly after episode. My memory is really bad. If I want to remember something I must repeat that something many time in my head. The ones I remember are the ones of characters I like very (VERY, VERY) much, like Yuki, Rei, Lelouch and so on. Though, and that not always. And all about others... Their names simply fades in the dark after I finish series (well, even one episode is enough to forget them).

Unfortunately I do forget. :( I usually don't remember some characters or the story until I watch the Anime again. Once I do, I realize, "Oh, that's who that is." Or, now I remember what the story is about. Sometimes I'll even forget characters names as I am watching a current Anime because of the nicknames and such they sometimes use.

Protagonists and antagonists most of them. Big list however, so I'd probably miss a few, lol. But it also depends on the anime.... For instance I could probably name the characters of every gundam I've seen and their suits....but thats cause I love gundam. At the same time I might not be able to name all the characters of something I don't like as much...like mahocromatic or others.

Also, I must say I find it unbelievable that Leviathan can remember pretty much every character name, or anyone for that matter. If you gave an anime an average of around 20 characters (which is a very low number, but this is to prove a point) and you've seen 150 then thats 3000 names. I myself have an excellent memory and I know for a fact I wouldn't remember that many names. I could probably put faces to names for a grand part of that, but remembering that many is very improbable.

You're not the only one who forgets characters' names, hell I usually can't even get names and places into my head until they've been mentioned about a dozen times. I've actually finished entire series not knowing some characters' names (usually Japanese-ish ones) and just kept referring to them as "that person from so and so that did so and so". Oh... how it sucks to have bad memory.

Also, I must say I find it unbelievable that Leviathan can remember pretty much every character name, or anyone for that matter. If you gave an anime an average of around 20 characters (which is a very low number, but this is to prove a point) and you've seen 150 then thats 3000 names. I myself have an excellent memory and I know for a fact I wouldn't remember that many names. I could probably put faces to names for a grand part of that, but remembering that many is very improbable.

I know what you mean and I don't blame you. It is pretty much impossible for an average person to remember so many names. And it does sound like I am bragging. But you just have to trust me. I really can tell that many names without much difficulty. You are not the first person who doubted me about my unusually excellent memory. I had to prove to my friends about my memory over and over again.

Especially when I spend more than a month not watching animes (which is actually happening ><)

Yes! If i take a break from anime, I forget loads of stuff >.<

But, reading some of the posts, I agree that English character names are easier to remember. I remember the protaganists from my favourite anime and most of them from anime I've liked, but even with Angel Beats, which I rated 10/10, I've forgotten all the names! Guess it just depends on how I feel about a particular series, depends on the impact it has on me