What Games Are You Currently Playing?

Koby

3 hours ago, splintersan said:

Suikoden II, the game that I wish I never sold. I didn't even finish it before I sold it. So many great PS1 games lost to trade ins and reselling. It is on my list of games to play, I just need to find the time for an RPG of that length. 

Ugh, story of my life. One summer in college, my best friend and I sold off a Saturn, two SNESes, a PSX, and more games then I'd care to contemplate. It kept us in beer money, but I miss those games dearly (and some of them would be worth a lot more than beer money these days). Thank goodness I at least had the good sense to hang on to my SMS. I'll give them Wonder Boy in Monster Land when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

1 hour ago, elb0ne said:

Ugh, story of my life. One summer in college, my best friend and I sold off a Saturn, two SNESes, a PSX, and more games then I'd care to contemplate. It kept us in beer money, but I miss those games dearly (and some of them would be worth a lot more than beer money these days). Thank goodness I at least had the good sense to hang on to my SMS. I'll give them Wonder Boy in Monster Land when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I once held a copy of Mega Man X3 in my hands, used from a local video store, they were selling off their SNES rentals. I didn't have the cash on me, I went back the next weekend thinking I could get it. It was gone. I have since then searched high and low for a good copy of that game that isn't $200+, I don't think it's ever going to happen. I had one kid in high school who was going to trade a few games with me but he never followed through and every time I brought it up he dodged the question, this was well before it's price went up but in that early PS1 era. 

As for selling all that stuff for beer money, I hear ya. When I try to rebuild the collection I sold off so many years ago I get a little bummed when I see prices for stuff like Valkyrie Profile, Castlevania SOTN & Chronicles, Lunar Silver Star Story Complete, Chrono Cross, Marvel Vs Capcom. All of which I owned at one point. 

Back to what I'm playing. I finished DMC3 last night on normal. That game might be one of my favorite PS2 titles, it holds up really well. I'm going to max out my styles next and try the next difficulty. I may even give Vergil a try.

I also picked up the Fighter pack of Dragon Marked for Death from Inti Creates. I love the sprite work and the combat feels good if a bit stiff but I feel like it might be too grindy for it's own good. Each level offers multiple difficulty levels which is fine but the next 2-3 quests take place on the same map with a different objective which then has different levels of difficulty. I've done 6 quests and have not left the same level. Also it seems really tailored for multiplayer, it's really hard and grueling in single player. An example is a certain quest starts with a big awesome boss battle, I was thinking sweet this is boss level, after failing 2-3 times I figured out the boss and beat it, then you actually start the level, you have to make your way through a big level and then you get to another boss. Oh and you can only carry 8 items, if you forget to load them up before the quest you are shit out of luck. I also struggle to find people playing the game, I've only been able to get into two online rooms, one of which was abandoned after one quest and the other I did a few quests with one other person. I don't have a full opinion on the game yet, I like a lot of it, don't care for some of it and I have not played nearly enough to pass judgement. I just hope more people pick it up so I can find some folks to play with. I also wish I didn't have to pay the price of the game to get the other two characters but hey bad DLC decisions are the norm now. 

Any one around here play Monster Hunter World or Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate?

I started Dragon Quest XI last night, it's been sitting in my pile of games to play for months. My brother bought it for me for Xmas. It seems pretty great, very traditional JRPG. I really look forward to getting deep into it. I'm trying to figure out how I should handle playing it because I will be dropping everything to play DMC5. I might just put it on the back burner or try to play at least once a week once I get DMC5. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally beat DMC1 almost a month ago, and slowly playing thru DMC 3 now...decided to switch to chronological order over release order.

After I beat DMC 3 just need to watch the anime and beat both 2 and 4, then I can finally start DMC5.

@splintersan What Koby said regarding KH3. I had a blast playing it, but I admit it was very rushed and did feel "shallow/empty" at times.

At this point though, I don't regret paying full price...was worth it to see the Xehanort saga concluded.

@Koby Actually according to a recent tweet from the DMC creator, the new timeline is now 3 -> 1 -> Anime -> 2 -> 4 -> 5.

Yes I know DMC 2 used to come after DMC 4 because of the scene at the end with the motorcycle etc.

4 minutes ago, Kid Boruto said:

@Koby Actually according to a recent tweet from the DMC creator, the new timeline is now 3 -> 1 -> Anime -> 2 -> 4 -> 5.

Yes I know DMC 2 used to come after DMC 4 because of the scene at the end with the motorcycle etc.

Yeah, I read that recently too (after that last post, but obviously I can't remember everywhere I've posted to retract statements made in the past!)

Seems weird to retcon things now, but I suppose it needed to be done to fit DMC5 within the story they wanted to make.

Also Netflix is now making a new DMC animated series.

Sekiro is kicking my ass and I'm having a blast playing it. A lot of salty people out there shitting all over the game. It's tough, I'd equate it to Ninja Gaiden Black. I feel bad for all the early reviewers/streamers who don't have an easy mode to play on so they can rush the game and get their views. I struggled a lot in the first 5-7 hours trying to get Souls and Bloodborne combat out of my system. You can't play it the same way even though you want to. 

10 hours ago, Tanis said:

EA's SW Battlefront 2:
Got this for 5USD. Worth the price.
They added a LOT in the updates, the offline mode isn't as good as the OG Battlefront 2, but it's so damn pretty. XD

It's a really good looking game. My brother picked up it up cheap and loves playing it. I tried a few rounds and it's quite fun even though I'm trash at shooting games. 

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Katana Zero, it was excellent, highly recommended.

I was given a key to Dark Devotion and boy am I glad I didn't buy it. This is the third game I played that's a 2D Dark Souls rip off and while I always love the sprite work I just don't think the combat translates well to the 2D realm. I played maybe 2 hours and I just don't want to play any more, I'll probably keep going a bit farther as I heard the bosses are some of the best parts of the game and I'd like to see a few. 

I did end up finishing the main campaign of Celeste and now I have the B-sides to work on but I need a break from the relentless platforming.

I'm back into Enter the Gungeon with it's final update. I played it mostly on my Switch last year but have a copy on my PC so I decided to get my PC version up to date with unlocks, so I spent the last two weeks building the bullet to kill the past, killing the past for the 4 main characters, unlocking the Robot, Bullet and Paradox. Beat the past of the Robot and Bullet. Now I'm working on getting to the Rat (need one more clue that's only dropped from mimics) and beating the R&G floor. After I complete those it's time to work on unlocking the Gunslinger which I feel like is going to take forever as you need to beat the Lich as the Paradox first then it starts you in a second run as the Gunslinger who you have to kill a double Lich fight with to unlock. 

And finally I picked up the Spider Man game on PS4, it's a lot of fun, the swinging mechanic is awesome, story seems half way decent so far and the collectible stuff doesn't feel as awful as some other open world games, although there is an awful lot of it. It's saving grace is you can travel so fast by webslinging you are where you want to be with in a few minutes even if it's on the other side of the city. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the movie Detective Pikachu being released, my daughter and my nephew have been on a Pokemon kick lately, which brought back nostalgia for me from the days of Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold, and Crystal. Never played anything past Crystal... I feel like today, Pokemon has become so convoluted with thousands of newer Pokemon I know nothing about, etc... So I decided to play one of the remakes of the originals. Hence I started Pokemon FireRed.

fahChY4.jpg?1