Multiple Ending Storylines

Koby

Are you insulted when you play through a sixty hour game to find out that you actually got the worst ending possible? Does a grim visage appear on your face when you hurry over to GameFAQs to see how many endings there actually are, only to find out that you have another five to go before you could claim that you have seen them all? How about this, you have taken the time to thoroughly play through a Square-Enix game, aiming for the 100% competition mark, when you view an ending that leaves you with a lot of questions. Did you really get what some people would call the 'official' ending, or was it just one of those 'extras' that the developers threw in to add good replay value, so you would play again to try and get what other fans of the game may be talking about all the time at a certain message board?

Well yes, this sort of thing is a lot to add up. I'm sure most of us would actually favor a Square-Enix game like Chrono Trigger where you can get several different, mildly varying endings, compared to a game that only had one alone. What's wrong with that? It drives you to play the game through again not too long after completing it for the first time, and you might get to alter the storyline a lot by making different choices throughout the game. Multiple Endings are one of the best things about many RPG's, as it provides instant replay-value. Why play a game again that may have taken a long time, only to get the same ending once more? There is no real incentive in that, at least not right away.

But, some games can confuse the hell out of us, as during the early periods of a game's release, many may not know what the 'official' ending is after many months, watching sites like GameFAQs with eagerness. I don't really care too much about this, as I like to decide my own impressions of what the 'real ending' was. We are each allowed our own opinions and imagination... Unless the developers behind the game told us otherwise. ;)

The bulk of Square-Enix games have a second or third ending (or more) to offer the player. If you use a walkthrough for these games, would you try for the 'best' ending on the first go, or would you just go at it blindly without a guide and see where you end up? If so, how long would you wait before playing the game again to go for a different ending? I can't really comment too much on this, as I rarely have enough spare time or interest to play through one game...once. Is the storyline of a game good enough to justify getting that extra ending, like is it really that different to the one you just witnessed? Tell us what you think.

• 4 years later...

I like multiple endings. Mostly since some endings developers consider the 'Good' ending is just the happy ending. I have an example from Suikoden 2.

I like the 'bad' ending to the game since it ends the story in a mature way that deals with sacrifice friendship and betrayal

Your best friend reveals that leading the enemy (you're home country which betrayed you.) was to drive it into the ground, ending the war. Then your friend gives you the power he used to gain the throne.

The 'good' ending is your classic - and they all lived happily ever after - ending. Not my cup of tea

Your sister (who took an arrow for you) and your friend both live (Your sister pretends she died so you aren't tied down by emotions, Your friend is inexplicably healed) and you travel the world together

The more endings the better I say, Chrono Trigger was the first such game I ever played, hell you got an ending for losing to the final boss, I'm never really bothered by which was the official ending and most of the times, for me at least, it's pretty obvious how to get the "real" ending, just do everything that you're told to, and don't deviate drastically from a good character would do, so, yes, multiple endings are a definite plus for me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm generally not all that fussed. Unless the game is amazing, like Koby's example of Chrono Trigger, I'll usually be happy just to get whatever ending I get. With the average game I'll probably check out the alternative endings on YouTube or something.

From a developers point of view, while designing Primus - TGH I was deciding whether to have multiple endings. In the end I decided against it because I felt I had a clear view of how I wanted the game to end and trying to force another one could make it seem rushed which isn't something I wanted. In future games I'm planning on implementing a morality system which would allow for multiple endings as well as quest-lockout which should be fun.

EDIT: After reading the post by GuyUWishUWere a little further up I feel compelled to tell you that the ending to Primus is going to be the most tense thing you have ever seen... maybe I'm slightly overselling it but we'll see when it's done.

I remember during my playthrough of Suikoden IV, early in the game you get stranded on an Island and have to work to collect stuff each day to eat, work on a boat, etc. It gives you an option to stay on the island if you want. So being curious I chose the option. Next thing I knew it was telling me 'The End'. I was like what the hell? lol... certainly was a strange ending. So I reloaded the game and chose to leave the island to complete the game.

I like the multiple endings aspect to video games. It gives you some replay-value, especially New Game+ types of games. I always shoot for perfect/good endings because I want to have the "best" ending obviously. However I also like to know which ending is definite canon, as I like to fully understand the storyline and what the developers were trying to imply.

I don't really like thinking about the "what if?" part or kinda aspect of a game.

Like Cowboy Bebop's Ending, many of us speculate the most obvious ending, while the creator states loosely that he never created a specific ending, what happened is up to the viewer. I don't like those kinds of endings because I just want to know, but I won't ever know because there is no definite ending.

Imho, I honestly only care for the complete story. I could care less about having a full 100% bestiary or say I have all the BEST equipment in the video game. So long as I understand the gist of the story, and can flesh out all the side-quests that tie into why things happen in the main story board, I could care less about everything else in the game.

I like multiple endings, I just go play it and see what happens. The ending tells a lot about the way you played the game. If you cared to do that much more or if you wanted to be an ass the ending will show it. Like for Mass Effect 2 (spoilers) if you take the time you get a good ending but if you rush or just treat everybody like crap they will all die as will you.

I like multiple endings, it makes you feel like you have some impact on the world based on your choices during the game. Which is what a good RPG is all about... If you get the same ending no matter how badly you screw up during the game, as long as you win the final battle... It's kinda annoying.

Same here!!