The Differences Between Anime and Cartoon

Koby

• 2 weeks later...
I get tired of adults saying I need to grow up and quit watching "cartoons" when I don't watch any "cartoons".

I watch "Anime", and I don't consider "Anime" a "Cartoon", and I wish others would know there is a difference! Thanks for this post.

Been there before though I never really knew the difference myself. I always thought anime was a more in depth cartoon but I now see there is a lot more then just that ^^. kudos

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between TRUE JAPANESE ANIME-production of the '70s and '80s-and american cartoons is in the mature storyline. In the '70s japanese began to threat animated production like mature science fiction films, not only childish products, and anime like "CAPTAIN HARLOCH" "GALAXY EXPRESS 999"

"UCHU SENKAN YAMATO" attracted more the adults than childrens.

Sports anime like "ASHITANOJOE" attract also more adults than childrens, because reflects the hardness of surviving. BUT TODAY WE FIND JAPANSE ANIME SUITED MOSTLY FOR CHILDREN, without the bravery, the spirit of surviving and the determination to fight of anime productions from the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Anime is a Cartoon

Cartoon doesn't mean American Animation, it's just Animation in general. Cartoon Network wasn't called Cartoon Plus Anime Network.

American Animation and Japanese Animation have their differences, but they're both Cartoons. You people have no problem calling Beyblade or Pokemon a Cartoon, but the second the show is more adult like DBZ or Fullmetal it's not a cartoon? Pfft, bullcrap. What people seem to forget is that Cartoons aren't only for kids. I would never let a kid Watch Family Guy or The Simpsons and they're considered cartoons.

Anime is a Cartoon

Cartoon doesn't mean American Animation, it's just Animation in general. Cartoon Network wasn't called Cartoon Plus Anime Network.

American Animation and Japanese Animation have their differences, but they're both Cartoons. You people have no problem calling Beyblade or Pokemon a Cartoon, but the second the show is more adult like DBZ or Fullmetal it's not a cartoon? Pfft, bullcrap. What people seem to forget is that Cartoons aren't only for kids. I would never let a kid Watch Family Guy or The Simpsons and they're considered cartoons.

Beyblade isn't a cartoon, and no one tried calling it one.

Anime is not a cartoon and there is distinct differences.

Both are sub-genre's of Animation, but neither are the same.

You seem to forget Cartoon Network has shown live-action shows in the past too, just because it's called Cartoon Network doesn't mean that because it airs Anime that Anime is Cartoon. It's not.

Opera and Rap are sub-genre's of Music, but is Opera... Rap.. and is Rap.. Opera? NO. Then it stands to reason sub-genre's of Animation do not equal the same.

As for Family Guy and Simpsons, both are retarded comedies which is about the only style cartoons aimed at adults can seem to be made and do well in the States. <.< Everything else is stupid unless it draws it's roots from Anime like ReBoot or Avatar or is some classic like Looney Toons.

Oh no, why this thread? Why here?! :oh:

Gah, for you ppl who don't get it....

Anime is different than cartoon on way too many levels!

Their animation is different, their audience ratings are different, their stories are different, hell even their countries are different! The reason why most ppl tend to think of them as the same thing coz they are "animated" and thats where they make themselves look stupid as half of the time they would believe all animation to be nothing more than kids entertainment. Its like you are watching black lagoon or elfen lied and someone ignorant comes along and tells you "haha you still watch cartoons? Those are for kids silly!", i probably would've forced him to watch the entire thing and wait to see if he'd still call it a kids cartoon! =P

Heck cartoons rarely have any story, a few occasional may pop in but most of them are always based on providing entertainment to the kids by having random adventures and nothing more! Anime on the other hand ALWAYS has a story and most of the entertainment we receive comes from the story rather than the action.

And to top it all off, the very word "anime" was chosen by the worldly public for a reason.....if there weren't differences compared to regular cartoon, big differences i might add then it wouldn't have gotten slapped with that name and placed separately from the rest of the cartoons/animations as you might call it.

American is usually episodic with not over arching story. Great for jumping into mid-season, but not worth following all season. Japan usually has a main plot to their animations and while they may not be easy to jump into mid-season they are often worth following if you watch all season. At the same time if the show hits a rough spot the whole thing has a chance to goes down where as if one or two episodes of an American animation sucks it does not really speak for the others as much.

I read up all the pages up until 7. I just realized that there is so many people that hate being called childish and that they love anime. I feel for all you guys!!!! I love anime to and I just started watching it. I started watching in September and I atleast finished a few short animes and alot of long ones also. They're super awesome!!! And to be honest, I really dislike American T.V. I just think its really stupid and there is not way for me to relate to it cause its just like, sports, reality tv shows, cook show, and other crap that I cannot relate to what so ever. So I love you anime!!!! :beauty: