The Differences Between Anime and Cartoon

Koby

Anime is a Cartoon

Cartoon doesn't mean American Animation, it's just Animation in general. Cartoon Network wasn't called Cartoon Plus Anime Network.

American Animation and Japanese Animation have their differences, but they're both Cartoons. You people have no problem calling Beyblade or Pokemon a Cartoon, but the second the show is more adult like DBZ or Fullmetal it's not a cartoon? Pfft, bullcrap. What people seem to forget is that Cartoons aren't only for kids. I would never let a kid Watch Family Guy or The Simpsons and they're considered cartoons.

Nail on the head is all I can say, other then that I let Websters do my talking.

car·toon noun, often attributive \kär-ˈtün\

Definition of CARTOON

1: a preparatory design, drawing, or painting (as for a fresco)

2a : a drawing intended as satire, caricature, or humor <a political cartoon>

2b : comic strip

3: animated cartoon (see below)

4: a ludicrously simplistic, unrealistic, or one-dimensional portrayal or version

animated cartoon: noun

: a motion picture that is made from a series of drawings, computer graphics, or photographs of inanimate objects (as puppets) and that simulates movement by slight progressive changes in each frame.

an·i·me noun \ˈa-nə-ˌmā, ˈä-nē-\

Definition of ANIME

1: a style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes.

Encyclopedia Britannica

anime: style of animation popular in Japanese films. Early anime films were intended primarily for the Japanese market and, as such, employed many cultural references unique to Japan. For example, the large eyes of anime characters are commonly perceived in Japan as multifaceted “windows to the soul.” Much of the genre is aimed at children, but anime films are sometimes marked by adult themes and subject matter. Modern anime began in 1956 and found lasting success in 1961 with the establishment of Mushi Productions by Osamu Tezuka, a leading figure in modern manga, the dense, novelistic Japanese comic book style

You could say a Japanese cartoon is called anime but you can't say an American cartoon is anime so obviously they're not the same thing. In my eyes, it's really just a technicality. It's like how a square is a rectangle but only one specific rectangle will be a square. So really, you could just say that anime is a specific type of cartoon that originates from Japan. Even so, I still get annoyed when people call anime cartoons.

No one calls Western-made animations anime >.<

The Japanese do, just throwing that out there. :cool:

It should also be noted that all but one of the DCU animated films are PG-13 for the "cartoons are for kidz" crowd. Do people really think that the only things animated in the US are like Ed Ed and Eddie and Spongebob?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cartoons are generally tend to please the younger audience while anime can appeal to every age cetegory. Ie. I don't enjoy Scooby-Doo, Spongebob, etc. as I do with Pokémon and DBZ and similair stuff. The animation is choppier with most (old) cartoon shows compared to anime too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Koby certainly gave us a well detailed explanation on the differences between cartoons and anime. In my country, when you say the word 'cartoon' they know what it is, but just mention 'anime' and they give you a blank stare. It's pretty hard to convince people that anime is so much more sophisticated and differs a lot from normal cartoons due to their complex plots in the story, ever-changing characters and of course, the level of animation that separates anime from cartoons.

I see. So Cartoons are mainly made for children and require less complexity than Anime does, as Anime is for all ages including children. So what you are trying to say is, Cartoons are more like commercial rap songs, and Anime is more like underground hip hop, cause it has no limits, unlike Cartoons.

• 2 weeks later...

In short a cartoon's version of blood would be minimal damage whereas anime takes it a notch higher. A cartoon generally aims for the kids as such you can never see any action packed scenes where people really go head-on. I mean, if you look at the sequences, the only time someone truly does damage is when its a cyborg on the other side and even then the scene skips to the shadow mode and you see a villain mutilating something. I'm not saying I love gore but the fact that they can't delve deep into a story is what makes a cartoon simple. Having said that, you can't see toons show complex emotions on-screen as well. Ever seen someone blush red and sigh like its the end of the world? I think not.

This makes a valid point. The way I see it, yes, technically anime is just a japanese word for cartoon, but it's developed into so much more. Anime tend to have deeper plot's and characters, but that doesn't mean there aren't light hearted anime as well. An anime is a genre, an within it contains so much that it by far surpasses that of a cartoon. There's so much under the umbrella category of anime, especially when compared to the cartoons we all grew up with.