The Differences Between Anime and Cartoon

Koby

well anime is literally every type of cartoon in japan. here in america we split it into a different genre. we call our cartoons, well cartoon but in japan when they talk about our cartoon they just call it anime. both are cartoons and anime. same things

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anime is just the name for the animated cartoon style from japan.

Anime and cartoons and the samething in japan, but in other countries cartoons are just fun short shows ment to entertain kids for the 26 minutes that they run (one episode of sponge bob is two 13 minute episode).

Little kids cant follow a story line and have low attention spands (and is why there are 2 storys for 1 show) while anime has at least some element of plot.

omg ive been waiting for one of these to come up in the multiple forums that i go on, but in all honesty why people see anime as a cartoon is simple, its the fact that what we watch on tv in new zealand is considered a cartoon but if i watch bleach in my room i get told to stop watching cartoons, so to sum it up really you just have to tell others about anime and the word will get across but older people will still see as a cartoon , cause thats what they watched while you were in nappys, not this japanese anime.

In my time they called it Japanimation then shorten it to anime. Cartoons were made for kids of all ages in North America. Cartoons had 3 fingers on each hand and they used the same screens for running gags to save money on ink. Later it became more serious drawings e.g. Tarzan, Brave Star from Filmation. Anime uses the Manga as a base line script to become a young adult soap opra. My question is. Does Avitar The Last Air Bender fall as an anime or because is was made in the U.S.A. is it a cartoon or should it be called Amerime ?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree,

Much more care and seriousness goes into anime series. Anime also tends to have a much more detailed aspect. There is one thing that bothers me though, the series Avatar the Last Airbender may look like an anime, but it isn't! (that' because anime only comes from Japan, but Avatar was entirely made in America!)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is deep. I think the line between the two is thin in places. "Cartoons" are cheap, mindles animation to entertain children. "Anime" is a moving art form & thought provoking to people who are willing to look deeper into the stories before them. besides I would like to see Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse take the abuse that Ichigo does, or the things that Tenchi does with his harem. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I hate how my parents ask me why I still watch "cartoons" all the time when in reality, if I watched most of those "cartoons" in the same room as them, they'd probably tell me to watch something less mature.

I agree, Anime and cartoons are different. Most cartoons are geared towards kids (except for south park and family guy) and have no actual storyline. You could miss one episode of a cartoon and it won't leave you confused. Whereas with anime when you miss an episode, there's a gap in the storyline and you're left not knowing why stuff happened. Both Anime and cartoons can make you laugh, but Anime seems to be more dramatic, emotional and complex than most cartoons.

Ppl may say no difference between the two, even going so far as to classify both cartoons and anime as ‘childish’ because of the NATURE of how they are presented!

But i say There is a real and profound difference between the two besides their spellings: Anime is so much more than ‘just a cartoon’.

• 2 weeks later...
But i say There is a real and profound difference between the two besides their spellings: Anime is so much more than ‘just a cartoon’.

So true! and besides anime has MUCH better graphics and im not even sure cartoons have a storyline to flow with in the first place. and to say they are the same thing is disrespectful!