The Differences Between Anime and Cartoon

Koby

Most Cartoons tend to be from the U.S. Anime tends to be from Japan. Japanese stuff is not censored as much which is why I love Anime, since its epic and they curse. Cartoons are more kiddy like. Even though there have been American Animes I believe they suck. Even Japanese anime is censored in the states, has anyone seen the blue MR. Popo in Dragonball Z Kai. HE'S BLUE! lol

Oh yes, Blue Mr. Popo will go down in anime history I believe. I dislike Blue Popo because of how sloppily done it looks.

Ah yes, Anime versus Cartoons. I must say that the connotations of "cartoons" are drastically different than that of "anime" even if both mean technically the same thing.

Cartoons are seen as just senseless and pointless entertainment that children watch. Mickey Mouse, Spongebob Squarepants, Scooby Doo, none of them have a real personality or backstory or even continuity. Just random adventures it seems. Anime can be directed towards a more developed mindset i.e. one that is past the age of 6 years old. Plot, story, characterization come into question and previous events actually affect current ones.

That is so true! Japanese Anime is much more than american crap like Family Guy There isnt any plot to most American animation. Avatar the last Airbender is one of the VERY few wxceptions to the rule (and the only one I've seen). I doubt any parents would look at Ghost in the Shell and say "Its ok for our 10 year old to look at that, its only a cartoon." after watching an episode. Then there are the kiddy Anime like Astro Boy and Speed Racer, and then the VERY ADULT stuff, called Hentai in Japan (and here as well). Also, many of the Anime Movies I've seen compare to Hollywood blockbusters. One of my favourites is called Spirited Away, a very thought provoking Movie. It is a work of art, not like the Simpsons Movie.

Another thing about Anime versus Cartoons: To be good, American animation has to be Very Very Good, but Anime just has to be Good.

To me, they are the same. Cartoon, anime, it's all animated material. There are different genres in each (funny animal, action, adventure, sci-fi, sex, etc) and some countries utilize the medium in different ways.

But when you boil it all down, animation is animation.. In the past I find people use "ANIME" in the same way they use "GRAPHIC NOVEL". In a pretentious way, so they can avoid just admitting they like animation (or cartoons) and plain old comic books.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... to be honest i find animes way more better but the only way I know that it's a anime is their mouths because when japan makes an anime their gigantic but the Cartoon is quite big but not as big as anime but if you can't see it don't worry everyone is different.

When I hear the term 'cartoon' being used to refer to anime, it really makes my blood boil. As you have clearly pointed out, there are clear differences between 'cartoons' and 'anime.

When I think of 'cartoons', American kid shows comes to mind, which the exception of Avatar: The Last Airbender; that earnt a special place in my heart.

While technically, anime are cartoons -- japanese cartoons -- the generic definition for 'cartoons' is different to anime.

First off, anime>Cartoons any day but....

When they start making cartoons good again, then I will start watching them again.

Goddamn, how did we go from classics like dexters lab, to this modern garbage like "chowder". Cartoon Network has saddened me.

Then again, it did show an anime or two...

The aussie one used to play Full Metal Alchemist at 11pm,Thursdays... It sorta started me off watching other anime...

*feels old now, having ranted at things better when he was young*