Commen Sence - a dying thing?

The Joker

Just wanted to hear what people think about this. recently, I've been thinking that, as a society, humanity seems to be getting dumber when it comes to using good, common sence. I know there have always been people who think that something is a good idea when in fact its a very bad one, but recently, things seem to be getting worse!

Example - Rising to Heaven

I'm pretty sure everyone heard this on the news at some point, but for those of you who didn't let me fill you in. A priest wanted to try and emulate a stunt that someone had made in 1982. The man had tied a load of ballons to his chair, got himself a packed lunch and flew off into the sky.

Now, fast forward to 2008, 16 years later when humanity's love of all things health and safety was really beginning to take off (pun intended). The priest in question decided to repeat this stunt to get his point accross on something. Armed with the latest GPS, a satalite phone and a survival suit, he tied over 150 ballons to his chair and set off into the sky.

However, he soon found himself in difficulty. The wind changed direction during his flight, and he was blown off course. Realising he was in trouble, he called for help, however, was unable to give people his position. Why? because he hadn't got a clue how to work the GPS! as he struggled to work the device, the battery in his phone died.

However, being a priest, he decided not to lose faith, and trust in God. For the next few weeks, bits of ballon were found being washed up on beaches and on mountains, and then finaly, his body surfaced.

If anyone has a book from the Darwin Awards (2008 onwards), you'll find this man having a place in there. Anyone in this book has "improved humanity by removing their stupidity from our genepool!"

So, what do you guys think. Are we losing common sense? or are we just not taking any notice of it anymore?

It's true that people are getting dumber with every year ... or more specifically, a larger GROUP of people is getting dumber every year.

stupid people exist in the world. you just have to take that fact for granted.

Back in the 1900's, the world was filled with scientists splitting an atom or creating a better from of energy and other people were genuinely interested in their research.

Fast forward to the 2000's, and now most people are more interested in why Josh cheated on Sally than why Anti-matter is a new source of energy that can change everything.

ROLF!..... No seriously, ya I think too people tend to act dumb a lot nowadays my school of thought is, this is because we are so much dependent on the technology that surrounds us that we now take everything for granted without thinking we leap into things that we have seen people doing....maybe this is because we are confident that given the circumstances that surround us we dont need to worry about the dangers in that activity, lets examine your example for instance :

The priest obviously had seen someone using that GPS equipment thats why hw must have went on with it with out giving a thought that it is professional stuff and he should take proper training for it hence the word "Professional" , secondly he must have thought to himself that how much trouble can i get into even if i get lost or something - people back home would just report that i havent checked in and they would find me again not thinking that cops arent everywhere .....

Not only this - I dont know if you have seen reality shows or not such as caught on tape etc.. In those shows people usually demonstrate how insanely dumb they are ...

I 100% agree with you brother this human race is headed towards oblivion!

One thing worth noticing and that would clarify my first point further is that people from America and Europe (developed Countries) tend to do these kindda activites more then ppl from under developed or struggling countries do, just goes to show this might be because they are over pampered and they dont realize the risks because they already take things for granted...

GOOD JOB POINTING THIS OUT!!

I think this is more a product of improved technology then anything else. There have always been really stupid people in this world. The only difference today is that with things like youtube, the less intellectually challenged can relish in the pathetic demise of the truly retarded. Case in point, a man decides to get out of his car at the safari park to pet the pretty lion (rawr kitty food). 100 years ago it would be nothing more then a local legend, but today it's on tv and the internet due to the smarter people who stayed in their car and recorded the whole thing. I'm sure the overall amount of stupid people is the world is higher then it's ever been, but only because there is more people now then there has ever been. I don't think people are actually getting dumber though, it's just alot easier to here about the colossally fail people in today's world then it has ever been in the past.

Common sense is dying... Ever been to work? 90% of the time I feel like I'm in a room with a bunch of 5 year old's trying to work and they are all older then me. We were uneven on sheets of onion rings hard core once, so instead of taking each sheet of onion rings and putting them into other chases to make it all even the assistant manager dubbed it as hopeless without thinking and everything was uneven in the computer. Well I'm sure she thought, but without common sense.

A guy had his cloth while cleaning in behind the grill with a big fan that sucks everything up when it's supposed to be off. So the cloth fly's out of his hand because hes talking and it costs them $100 to get it down. He did it 3 times the whole time he was working there. One VERY VERY messy guy was pulling the tomato slicer off the shelf very sloppily with no attention to mind. So it falls and he puts his hand to grab the blades and well you know what happens there.

But gawd there is so many stupid moments at work. I can't remember other people outside of work now though I'm sure there was a lot of moments. There's also the Darwin awards for people with the stupidest deaths. Makes me feel sick to the stomach thinking about it but there's a lot. I think one a guy drove his motorbike off his back 2 story porch.

I agree with what L4ugh said.

With increases in Technology we can capture every stupid thing a person does now a days and keep it preserved forever on the internet. Also with the increase in Technology comes new tools that can help fuse people's imagination, and make some people(like the priest in the story you mentioned) think of doing something incredibly stupid, because they think they can even if they don't understand that technology. I don't really think it's a lack of common sense, just improper use of technology.

Anyone in this book has "improved humanity by removing their stupidity from our genepool!"

So... much... truth...

I agree with what L4ugh said.

With increases in Technology we can capture every stupid thing a person does now a days and keep it preserved forever on the internet. Also with the increase in Technology comes new tools that can help fuse people's imagination, and make some people(like the priest in the story you mentioned) think of doing something incredibly stupid, because they think they can even if they don't understand that technology. I don't really think it's a lack of common sense, just improper use of technology.

In the way I interpreted L4ugh's post, I took it as "Here on Earth, We have always been stupid - Crazy enough to try stupid things like pet the lion." But like how both of you have mentioned that with technology we can capture and preserve it for centuries.

The sudden increase in these occurring incidents is simply just the fact that we can support these stories now. I'm willing to bet people were stupid enough to jump out of planes without parachutes or swim in shark infested waters; why don't these stories occur often? - Because we didn't have that many witnesses to prove that these very idiotic people followed through with their stupid shenanigans. Like L4ugh noted, back in the day - things like that were rumors and local legends. Today, with solid proof - we can easily believe the things we hear.

In my opinion this isn't a lack of understanding technology or anything, it's just really poor judgment - and foolishly making assumptions.

Lets make a list of things to blame then, shall we?

1. People relying on technology to save them

2. Schools teaching more and more useless stuff (nothing to help you survive anymore)

3. Sheltered kids never learning to fear potentially dangerous things due to overprotective parents

4. Curiosity killed the cat not being taught anymore. Seriously, that saves your life.

5. People relying on image to control things (animals dont think you look intimidating like people do, you idiot)

6. Common misconception that animals are in general friendly due to only being raised with domesticated breeds and not taught better

7. Mischanneled agression due to lack of interpersonal communication through PHYSICAL means

8. Too many people using things with no idea how they work (see metal put into microwaves)

9. General laziness "Ill pay someone else to do it"

10. Jobs relying on qualifications rather than trying people out nowadays - There are plenty of people that are qualified to do very difficult things, yet have no clue and have to take it really slow.

11. People's egos about how they are right even with no proof

12. People's egos about how they are right even when proven wrong

13. Everybody wanting people for jobs with experience, and being too lazy to teach new people

14. People's egos about how they already know enough about the subject and dont need to learn more

15. Lack of contact with people leads to emotional cues being confused or ignored

16. Never having to apologize anymore

17. Never having to feel guilt anymore

18. Being distracted by useless gossip over important events

19. Lack of proper multitasking ability

20. More effort put into procrastinating than the work would require in the first place

21. Reliance on instant gratification for tasks (achievements on games)

I could go on, but the point stands that for each little nuance of laziness, the person does not bother to think of actions and consequences anymore without them being instant. This means a lack of foresight, and therefore a lack of common sense.

Lets make a list of things to blame then, shall we?

1. People relying on technology to save them

2. Schools teaching more and more useless stuff (nothing to help you survive anymore)

3. Sheltered kids never learning to fear potentially dangerous things due to overprotective parents

4. Curiosity killed the cat not being taught anymore. Seriously, that saves your life.

5. People relying on image to control things (animals dont think you look intimidating like people do, you idiot)

6. Common misconception that animals are in general friendly due to only being raised with domesticated breeds and not taught better

7. Mischanneled agression due to lack of interpersonal communication through PHYSICAL means

8. Too many people using things with no idea how they work (see metal put into microwaves)

9. General laziness "Ill pay someone else to do it"

10. Jobs relying on qualifications rather than trying people out nowadays - There are plenty of people that are qualified to do very difficult things, yet have no clue and have to take it really slow.

11. People's egos about how they are right even with no proof

12. People's egos about how they are right even when proven wrong

13. Everybody wanting people for jobs with experience, and being too lazy to teach new people

14. People's egos about how they already know enough about the subject and dont need to learn more

15. Lack of contact with people leads to emotional cues being confused or ignored

16. Never having to apologize anymore

17. Never having to feel guilt anymore

18. Being distracted by useless gossip over important events

19. Lack of proper multitasking ability

20. More effort put into procrastinating than the work would require in the first place

21. Reliance on instant gratification for tasks (achievements on games)

I could go on, but the point stands that for each little nuance of laziness, the person does not bother to think of actions and consequences anymore without them being instant. This means a lack of foresight, and therefore a lack of common sense.

I have to give you props for that list, a lot of that is truth right there. People tend to place themselves before others which hinders thought beyond their own conditions. In reality, we can't deny the fact that there are some greedy people out their that care more for their own skins then others. Common courtesy? I think not, I see less of it then I should be; in honesty a lot of the things that our great grand parents and such would consider sacred - we probably have disgraced multiple times within a few hours because we don't think about it. I can agree, people out there do make some stupid decisions and end up facing some very big consequences.

• 2 months later...

People are getting much more book smart but, when it comes to common sense then they are lost. I know someone is thoroughly smart and even has scholarship but, he has no common sense. Like he walked into a small gas station, asked if a macdonalds was connected and then procceded to search for wifi. DUMB!

• 3 years later...

The thing with common sense, I find that kids ages 8 to 12, have more common sense then most teenages and 20 something year olds I talk too.

I don't know if its dumb teen problems rubbed off and imprinted themselves on them or not, but it is astounding how much more mature, understanding, and sensible kids are, then most teens and young adults.

As you age, people lose brain cells, instead of getting smarter, people are really getting dumber as they age, and it shows in a lot of people.

• 1 month later...