Thundercats 2011

cloud1414

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I did watch the old cartoon and it was alright. But to me it seemed to be in the same vain as all the other 80s boys cartoons, like He-Man or something. They all wore goofy leotards and ended each episode with a comic relief laughter moment (Gahaha! Oh that Snarf). Those types of shows just weren't appealing to me, even as a kid the stories of each episode had predictable plots which despite the overarching themes of single goal and quest it still felt completely episodic and I never got past Lion-Os ridiculous Ronald McDonald hair. Sometimes it was a fun ride, but those were the fight scenes where the bad-guys get beat up and it's super cool! It was the Justice League and Legion of Doom except with cats.

Modern action cartoons have left the campy-ness behind since companies realize that it isn't just 5-year olds watching Saturday morning animated shows anymore and storytelling has improved (like Young Justice as opposed to the SuperFriends) . From the first episode (or first two, whatever) it is already setting up more interesting, if a tad archetypal, characters than the originals, a more cohesive setting that actually made sense given the characters (not some weird alien planet where shit just happens for plot convenience), logical themes with story arcs and story progression. None of that forced logic you were supposed to just roll with, like the stuff about "his space pod was cracked and he aged without dieing or being awake, but the rest were damaged too so he is just special like that just go with it" stuff. Not to say it's all perfect, it still falls into the failings/strengths of the predecessors, I'm just saying nostalgia may take things too far sometimes.

I am so far excited for the show, I am digging the new character designs (even if they did make Lion-O a tad on the childish looking side, but then again that was supposed to be his character in the first place since in the original he was 12!) and the new Thundara. Mumm-Ra kinda put me off though as he and his cronies so far haven't departed too far from the original and seem to be staying true to the original, but it makes it jarring to see such a mix. The new style of the Thundercats with new, updated character models while Mumm-Ra is still stuck in old mummy-monkey-wizard guy territory without any real changes. Apparently the sun still hurts him, but maybe that will be played off well rather than "he's evil and magic, sunlight is good so it must burn" stuff.

........I wonder if anybody read all this?

LoL a new Thundercat series hahaha :D Like the ones they did in Speed Racer and etc. I hope they air it soon in TCN I want to see if this has new plot or simply a remake :D But according to your info, it will be an all new series so, chances are, we may see a brand new plot :)

^ I agree with Koby. They look more, how should I say it, like they've been to a parlor or something. But then again maybe the new ones are some sort of the relative/etc of the older ones. For everyone's info here is what Koby meant:

ThundercatsPicture1a.jpg

oh dear god they are 10 times better now then they were before imo

Gotta say I enjoyed this way more than the original, and I use to love the original thundercats every Sunday morning on my barely watchable antenna TV. Good to see Cartoon Network's finally getting some good shows again, finally something other than Clone Wars that has violence, death(though Bloodless) and an awesome art style and I found the story surprisingly less corny than I thought I would, that's a good sign. Also...Cheetara's breast!!!!! hhhhhngggghhhhhh!!!!

I saw a prototype version of the character designs about 2 years ago, and nearly coughed up blood. Lion-O was skinny, and really scraggly looking. But, at ComicCon this year, I finally caught the preview, and my soul was lifted high. :happy:

The character designs look wonderful, the re-imagining of the story is very interesting, and I'm not a fan of animal people, (furries, etc) but if that Cheetara walked into my bedroom with nothing but a smile on, I'd Yiff. :-3

From what I understand the story takes place on there home planet before it was destroyed, so they are all younger.

Yeah, this is the planet they are running from in the first opening of the Classic Thundercats. I think Young Lion-O growing into an adult is much better then the weird He Was A Child, Now He Is An Adult thing from the original. Stupid broken pods...