MKV files

LucyElric

I think it's stupid that most of the anime files are MKV files. I need files that work with Windows Movie Maker so I can make AMVs (my "occupation") for YouTube.

And another thing that stinks is that most of the .avi files are just audio. I'm getting kind of ticked off. :hell_boy:

Of you wanted the files as AVI's, then I'd suggest downloading All to AVI and convert the files. Completely free to download, unless you want to make a donation, and works like a dream keeping the original high quality.

Only thing I would say is that its not the quickest converter out there, but it gets the job done better than most I've used

out of all files that are available on the net, MKV's has the smallest size.

i got HIGH quality videos of Bleach off a torrent, with each episode just 80 MB. if it were AVI, it's probably be 170 MB per file.

so, MKV rules in size as well.

actually.... those are low quality mkv's yeah the picture looks great but pay attention to the audio and the sharpness of the picture youll notice that the picture isnt as well defined and the audio is lacking somewhat

whiles its a great deal higher then then avi's its still not the best quality a high quality mkv runs anywhere from 200 to 350 mb per episode

I used to feel like the OP when it came to MKV files. Then I discovered two very helpful programs, detailed here:

http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?p=82274#post82274

Now I have only two rants when it comes to anime and the MKV container format.

#1. I am SICK and TIRED of everyone in the scene forcing English subtitled anime down my throat, even when there are English Dubbed versions out there. I buy a LOT of anime when I have money, but when I don't, or I can't find the newest episodes of an anime I have purchased previous volumes of, I look to the scene to provide me what I'm after. But everyone wants to force this Jap lang/Eng sub on me just because they don't like the quality of the dub!. Listen if I wanted to read my anime I would just go and check out the manga! IMO if it is to be released in America it needs to have an English language track, the same quality of audio as the original language, and this should be the law without exception. Users should be able to watch the anime or movie, or read it through the subtitles, whichever they prefer.

#2. Ultra-high quality seekers using MKV. This format is fine if it is compatible with the PS3, so I can use a program like multiAVCHD on it. But it is not acceptable when some stupid j-arse puts up some 12 flag uber-high reference count monstrosity, for such a minuscule difference in quality between a 4-6 flag and lower ref count file that you would need a microscope to tell the difference! IMO the folks doing this, probably 10% of the scene at most, who can afford the fancy equipment to play these files, are just screwing with us!

Well those my thoughts on this subject...

:oh:

I can help you upgrade from WMM it is the worst video editing program out there! Still wont work for .mkv but i use a converter. I'm very certain you have had crashes and problems with WMM just like everyone else. So if you want it send me a PM and ill help you get a new one and a converter if you haven't already picked one. On top of it I can help you out with the new program if you can't figure something out.

I think it's stupid that most of the anime files are MKV files. I need files that work with Windows Movie Maker so I can make AMVs (my "occupation") for YouTube.

And another thing that stinks is that most of the .avi files are just audio. I'm getting kind of ticked off. :hell_boy:

When a video file doesn't display the video, but you get the audio, it usually means you need a new video codec. I would reccomend the "Community Codec pack" I downloaded it, and have had no problems with video or audio since

*closed* After reading through the replies seems like 99% of you don't really know anything about .mkv or what you are talking about. You probably couldn't tell me the difference between a codec and a container and why that would even matter.

To clarify, mkv is nothing more than a container it's not a codec. Also mkv is not new. It's been around since the 90's.

Just it wasn't till a few years ago that internet speeds started picking up to warrant higher and higher quality encodes and eventually reach to where people leave stuff soft-subbed and hence mkv has a higher use now so you see it more often. I remember back in 2007 it was hard to find subtitled anime that was not rmvb files unless you used IRC and it was completely impossible to find dubs. Look how much the Anime community of the internet has grown in such a short time.