Nintendo Switch

Dervell

• 4 months later...

o2Lq6y4.jpg

Got done with my Atomic Purple Joy-Con D-pad mod this week, and absolutely love it. Having a D-pad is so much better than the previous separate buttons. It definitely took a while to do it the first time, but now, I know what the hell I'm doing. I also had to go back quite a few times to adjust various tightenings of the screws to get the perfect balance on the pressability of the buttons. It was a pain, but worth it in the end, because now I can't complain about anything :D

Anyone else pumped by all the recent Switch announcements? I'm ready for Smash this year, but definitely looking forward to Okami HD, Octopath Traveler, Dark Souls, Crash Trilogy, and such. Gotta pick up Bayonetta at some point as well if it ever goes on sale...

On 3/10/2018 at 2:17 PM, deanzel said:

Anyone else pumped by all the recent Switch announcements? I'm ready for Smash this year, but definitely looking forward to Okami HD, Octopath Traveler, Dark Souls, Crash Trilogy, and such. Gotta pick up Bayonetta at some point as well if it ever goes on sale...

The Smash HYPE is real. Especially considering I never owned a Wii U and couldn't really experience Smash 4. I too am highly looking forward to all the titles coming out this year. My desire waits for Metroid Prime 4. Most likely gonna be the main showcase at this years E3.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10.3.2018 at 11:17 PM, deanzel said:

o2Lq6y4.jpg

Got done with my Atomic Purple Joy-Con D-pad mod this week, and absolutely love it. Having a D-pad is so much better than the previous separate buttons. It definitely took a while to do it the first time, but now, I know what the hell I'm doing. I also had to go back quite a few times to adjust various tightenings of the screws to get the perfect balance on the pressability of the buttons. It was a pain, but worth it in the end, because now I can't complain about anything :D

These look amazing. I'm thinking of buying them myself. Does the D-Pad work fine as individual buttons, if you use the Joy-Cons as two Controller? For example, have you played Mario Kart with those yet? 

Best regards,

Hagu

1 hour ago, Hagu said:

These look amazing. I'm thinking of buying them myself. Does the D-Pad work fine as individual buttons, if you use the Joy-Cons as two Controller? For example, have you played Mario Kart with those yet? 

Best regards,

Hagu

Yes, the D-pad works fine as separate buttons. So you can still use the left joy-con as its own controller. It makes things a little bit more difficult and doesn't feel quite as great when using it, but it still works ok enough for Mario Kart as you won't really be pressing multiple face buttons at the same time in most basic multiplayer games. The advantage of having a D-pad far outweighs this little fault.

On 3/11/2018 at 6:51 PM, thedoctor2014 said:

I've heard the charging dock either scratches up the screen or melts the unit as well as it is impossible to play games while it is charging and the battery doesn't even last a couple hours. Is any of this true?

Screen protection takes care of the scratching. I've had no problems playing while the switch was charging. How long the battery lasts depends on what kind of game you play. 3D games wear it down quicker obviously. For on the go I'm using an appropriate powerpack with USB-C that provides enough juice to be able to play and charge at the same time. No problems with that either.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, pixxelherz said:

Screen protection takes care of the scratching. I've had no problems playing while the switch was charging. How long the battery lasts depends on what kind of game you play. 3D games wear it down quicker obviously. For on the go I'm using an appropriate powerpack with USB-C that provides enough juice to be able to play and charge at the same time. No problems with that either.

I have no screen protector on mine. Granted, I don't take it out much but, I'm also not a moron and know to carefully slide it back down rather than slam into place. The problem charging he may be thinking is the charging port is on the bottom. You can still use it as a handheld while charging but, not propping it up.

To be fair, as a tablet, the Switch is a beefy device. A gaming laptop has a shit battery. Most manufacturers know you'll likely have it plugged in for gaming anyway but, to be honest, you'd need a powerful battery to support extended playtime when you consider the hardware involved. People who bitch about the battery life on a handheld device with specs far exceeding a cell phone/typical tablet, are ignorant to how electronics work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pixxelherz said:

2 hours ago, NeutralHatred said:

I have no screen protector on mine. Granted, I don't take it out much but, I'm also not a moron and know to carefully slide it back down rather than slam into place. The problem charging he may be thinking is the charging port is on the bottom. You can still use it as a handheld while charging but, not propping it up.

To be fair, as a tablet, the Switch is a beefy device. A gaming laptop has a shit battery. Most manufacturers know you'll likely have it plugged in for gaming anyway but, to be honest, you'd need a powerful battery to support extended playtime when you consider the hardware involved. People who bitch about the battery life on a handheld device with specs far exceeding a cell phone/typical tablet, are ignorant to how electronics work.

It's nice knowing people who have real experience with them answering those worries. I've heard those things that I said, but really wondered how true they were so thanks for clearing it up.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:48 PM, thedoctor2014 said:

It's nice knowing people who have real experience with them answering those worries. I've heard those things that I said, but really wondered how true they were so thanks for clearing it up.

Granted, I have only played Mario Odyssey for an extensive amount of time with my switch sitting in the official docking station. All the other times I'm either playing in handheld mode or with it sitting on a simple station that allows enough airflow. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pixxelherz said:

Granted, I have only played Mario Odyssey for an extensive amount of time with my switch sitting in the official docking station. All the other times I'm either playing in handheld mode or with it sitting on a simple station that allows enough airflow. 

Thanks for the link and reply, like I said always nice hearing real world experience over rumors to either get them confirmed or debunked. Might have to look into getting one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I adore my switch. I have a portable stand and powerbank combo that works perfectly for me for long trips, like long train or plane journeys, otherwise I just charge it when I'm not playing. You get about 3 hours in portable without charging, which really when you think about it is pretty decent for how powerful it is. I do like it in docked mode too though, it's perfect for all around gaming. Sometimes I'm playing in docked and I get a call to go out someplace, I can literally just pause it, take it with me, and keep playing on the train. Or I'll be playing in handheld mode and I get tired of holding it, or looking at the smaller screen, just pop it in the dock and keep playing without the weight of the console, on my big tv. You can even play with your joycons at your side, one in each hand, totally relaxed. It's a really versatile console, and for someone like me, who hasn't had much time for gaming recently, it's a godsend. I'd never have had the time for a home console, and my eyes get too tired sometimes with the tiny screens of my 3ds. The switch is the perfect balance. I'm obviously hugely biased because the switch is my gaming saviour, but seriously, get a switch.

On 3/10/2018 at 4:17 PM, deanzel said:

o2Lq6y4.jpg

Since this was bumped anyway I just want to say that looks so good. I keep waiting on Nintendo to do one with a D-pad but I really should go ahead and mod one in.

15 hours ago, Mask/Tone said:

Since this was bumped anyway I just want to say that looks so good. I keep waiting on Nintendo to do one with a D-pad but I really should go ahead and mod one in.

Yah, it won't happen anytime soon. The Hori d-pad joy-con is coming out but it has issues already, and no wireless/gyro/rumble functions so it's basically useless. The D-pad mod is not that hard to do and I'd recommend giving it a go as the shells only cost like $15-20.