Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-

RazorDan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

[Warning: The following information is based upon the Re:ZERO light novels and may be considered anime spoilers. If you have not finished watching the final Re:ZERO episode and yet continue reading then you only have yourself to blame, I suppose]

Unfortunately for Team Rem, events conspire to largely remove our favorite demon maid from the story for many chapters to come. This article won’t say how that quest ends in the web novel, but let’s just say there’s a good reason the author often refers to Rem as the “sleeping princess.”

Editor Ikemoto once said that “Re:ZERO has a great deal of foreshadowing and hints scattered throughout that you probably won’t notice your first time around. It’s an anime that will continue to surprise and amaze on repeat viewings.” That is true as those who have read ahead can attest. The answers to some of the series’ greatest mysteries have already been voiced, but this article will not attempt to provide a full synopsis of Re:ZERO Season 2, which will likely be based solely on Re:ZERO Arc 4 largely due to the arc’s length, nor will we directly discuss the guiding hand behind Return To Death. Instead, we will focus on teaser details that should whet your appetite for what’s to come.

Ikemoto also mentioned that choosing the ending for Re:ZERO Episode 25 was the biggest obstacle his White Fox writing staff faced during the creation process. We know that Re:ZERO’s author, Nagatsuki Tappei, participates in much of the process, from scripts to recording to dubbing, but the editor still said they put a lot of consideration into where to end the first season of the Re:ZERO anime.

As we all now know, White Fox and Tappei decided to end the first season on an emotional high note rather than drag audiences down to despair. In the original ending for Arc 3, both Crusch and Rem are irreparably harmed by another follower of the Witch. One of the final chapters of Arc 3 details how a new enemy rips apart a charging dragon carriage and easily withstands an air blade slice from Crusch, an attack that harmed the White Whale.

TranslationChicken has provided an online Re:ZERO English translation that extends the ending of the anime with these final chapters. Please visit the site to read the full Interlude chapters, but here’s an excerpt which explains what happens to Crusch.

Just as a chill ran up Rem’s back, the man took a step forward. His drooping arm lifted, creating a small gust of wind.

Then, on the same line as the motion of his arm — the earth, the air, and the world parted in two.

Round and round and round, Crusch’s severed left shoulder flew into the air.

Still grasping onto the sheath of a knight-sword, the arm dropped down in a spray of blood. Crusch, blown off her feet by the impact, fell to the ground, convulsing in pain and mass loss of blood.

Getting back to the anime Re:ZERO ending, White Fox also ended up focusing the Re:ZERO ending on the defeat of Betelguese Romanée-Conti, Bishop of Sloth, a spirit demon that has lived since the time period of the Witches. Like any good respawning video game character, Subaru receives a power up at the beginning of Re:ZERO Season 2 by absorbing the Bishop of Sloth’s powers. Besides emanating hundreds of Invisible Hands, Subaru’s new powers include a wave of miasma that renders people immobile in addition to his dark mist spell. During the new season, he will also form a contract with Beatrice and he learns new abilities in the process.

Re-Zero-Rem-Death-Coma-505x700.jpg

Re:ZERO: Rem’s ‘Death’ Will Hit Otaku Like A Morningstar

The power that Subaru wishes he could prevent comes from Rai Baten Kaitos, Roy Alphard, and Rui Arneb, the three personas of the Bishop of Gluttony. They have the ability to eat the memories of people. Worse, they can eat names, which erases people from existence. Poor Rem has both her name and memory eaten so she collapses into a coma and not even her sister Ram remembers her. Only Beatrice (who exists in a different dimension) and Subaru remember, and his grief drives him to suicide in hopes of correcting Rem’s cruel fate.

In this case, fate cannot be avoided with a time loop. Subaru’s save point is now stuck after the defeat of Betelguese and thus Rem’s redemption is beyond Return By Death. Figuring out a way to revive Rem becomes an enduring theme of Re:ZERO’s story, but Re:ZERO Season 2 will also open with the shocker that Roswaal is not really a good guy! (His choice in fashion should have been a hint, I suppose.)

Besides trying to save Rem from death, much of Re:ZERO Season 2 should be about Subaru helping Emilia survive a multi-stage Trial thrust upon them by Roswaal. The resulting adventure gets pretty odd since it involves multi-generational body snatchers and literal swarms of killer rabbits (yes, of the Monty Python variety). While it’s easy to imagine the anime handling those enemies in comical fashion, Re:ZERO Season 2 will of course delve into darker waters. Subaru will eventually meet and speak to Satella directly, allowing fans to know her true nature in relation to Emilia. But the darkest revelation is that Return To Death may not destroy the alternate universes in which Subaru died, and audiences will see the horrible ramifications of these deaths in other timelines.

From an anime fan’s perspective, what’s truly horrible is knowing that Re:ZERO Season 2 will likely end with Arc 4 and then we’ll have to wait until Re:ZERO Season 3’s release date to watch more. In the meantime, you can always teach yourself Japanese, invade Beako’s library, and start reading the Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu story… I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DhruboZ said:

There will be no second season bro ,

Please stop spreading lies. You know as much as anyone else right now: nothing. We don't know if there will be a season 2. But given the success of the novel and anime series, it's likely. Either way, it would take a while for season 2 to appear anyway, simply because there isn't enough material to adapt.

Edited by Scyrous
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well the series finally started eps 2 to end will be in June I so cannot wait, just seeing the first episode makes me want it more than ever. If it gets enough revenue the company may even ask the manga artist to continue it and there could be a season 2. That is just the business world after all, why sweat it out when you can just enjoy the ride. =D

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so the first part of this came out today cannot wait to see it. However I would love to hear all of your thoughts about this last year and a half. They seemed to have put out a good deal of shows following the pattern, mysteriously end up in another world or die and reborn in another world, examples: Knights & Magic, In Another World With My Smartphone, & Saga Of Tanya The Evil, I would like to know what all of you think in comparison, will this new series have merrit or will it be another copy.

Of course I started the thread so I should make my thoughts first LOL. I noticed a load of similarities, however it follows a new line with some peculiarities, the good kind like deception, lies, and hoping in the future a little more technical effort to the new world. Seeing a futuristic outcome of even a second season means the creator and publishers are hopeful. I am just wishing that this new series won't end up like so many in the past cut short or worse cut dubs short and only finishes subbed. (MAR, Puzzle & Dragons, Case Closed, etc..) So many good anime never complete or finished but never added to since the manga goes a dif direction like Rave Master.

2 hours ago, Trinity Soul said:

They seemed to have put out a good deal of shows following the pattern, mysteriously end up in another world or die and reborn in another world

The genre is called Isekai and we get like 3 to 5 isekai anime per season these days because people eat the genre up. 😃

2 hours ago, Trinity Soul said:

I am just wishing that this new series won't end up like so many in the past cut short or worse cut dubs short and only finishes subbed. (MAR, Puzzle & Dragons, Case Closed, etc..) So many good anime never complete or finished but never added to since the manga goes a dif direction like Rave Master.

They don't do cut/edited dubs anymore, except for like Yu-Gi-Oh!

And in cases of the anime veering off track from the source material, that's usually a case of running out of manga to adapt and not willing to wait on it. I don't think that is likely to happen here, since it's been a few years since the first season aired and we still haven't had a second season announced.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...