4K Media - Are you making the jump?

PDoggy77

Hey guys. Recently got a 4K TV (as in about a year ago now), albeit it is an older model from 2014 or so. I know there isn't much actual 4K media out yet, but I've found some short films and nature stuff here and there that's looked amazing. Tears of Steel is a good tech demo, for those wanting to see what true 4K looks like on their 4K panels. I'm pretty excited for 4K BluRay though. I plan on getting The Martian, Sicario, Kingsman and The Peanuts Movie once I can get my hands on a player. Not sure if my TV can do HDR, but that shouldn't be an issue - pretty sure most 4K-BRs will have it as an option. Anyone else have any plans for 4K TVs or 4K BluRays? I'm afraid a lot of recent stuff will be upscaled, seeing as a lot of special effects for recent movies were delivered in 2K, such as The Maze Runner, and sadly, Kingsman iirc.

1 hour ago, professa X said:

4k with 400+ dpi. movies need to be shot at 4k. old stuff in 4k are probably professionally upscaled but upscaled nontheless. i'm just waiting for animated content drawn at 4k and animated 60fps.

60fps, for film and television, is hideous. If I wanted to watch something with motion like that, I would go to a stage play or watch a soap opera. Proper cinematic content should always be 24fps, nothing more. Besides, no one's going to want to deal with the effort of animating twice as many frames for even 48fps, never mind even 60fps. 4K is great, but frame rate should always stay at 24fps - anything above just looks too fast, ruins any kind of cinematic feel.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr. Kimiko said:

I think it's pointless if anime and cartoons are not being made in 4K resolution. I did purchase a 40 inch 1080p TV in 2012, but someone stole it from me, now I'm planning to buy 50 inch 1080p TV within the year.

That's a shame about your old 40". Anyhow, I would just stick with that plan in your situation - 4K is still kind of pointless. I only bought 4K because it beat all the specs of the 1080p TV I was going to buy, and so happened to be on sale at the same time.

19 hours ago, PDoggy77 said:

60fps, for film and television, is hideous. If I wanted to watch something with motion like that, I would go to a stage play or watch a soap opera. Proper cinematic content should always be 24fps, nothing more. Besides, no one's going to want to deal with the effort of animating twice as many frames for even 48fps, never mind even 60fps. 4K is great, but frame rate should always stay at 24fps - anything above just looks too fast, ruins any kind of cinematic feel.

you, sir, are anti progression. :P

13 minutes ago, professa X said:

you, sir, are anti progression. :P

Cinema isn't supposed to look like a video game. The whole point is that you're supposed to feel as though you're indirectly observing, not directly experiencing. Video games have a high frame rate because it's supposed to immerse you in something, to make you feel as though that is actually what you're doing. Movies aren't supposed to make you feel as though you're doing something, but to feel as though you're watching someone do something. Completely different purposes. Think about it this way - when you watch Cowboy Bebop, the point of the show is to enjoy Spike's adventures, not to think what your adventures might be like. I, amongst many others, think we need to progress past this stage in media of shitty gimmicks like HFR and 3D, and instead focus more on the content of the media itself. Thank fully, most companies aren't adopting 48fps never mind anything above it - it's pretty safe to say 48fps, 60fps media etc. won't happen, thank god. If anything, you are the one who is anti progression.

TL:DR Movies aren't video games. Don't be one of the idiots that confuses or tries to dilute the two together. 

EDIT - I meant the TL;DR as more of a wide response, rather than one directed at Professa X

Edited by PDoggy77
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PDoggy77 said:

Cinema isn't supposed to look like a video game. The whole point is that you're supposed to feel as though you're indirectly observing, not directly experiencing. Video games have a high frame rate because it's supposed to immerse you in something, to make you feel as though that is actually what you're doing. Movies aren't supposed to make you feel as though you're doing something, but to feel as though you're watching someone do something. Completely different purposes. Think about it this way - when you watch Cowboy Bebop, the point of the show is to enjoy Spike's adventures, not to think what your adventures might be like. I, amongst many others, think we need to progress past this stage in media of shitty gimmicks like HFR and 3D, and instead focus more on the content of the media itself. Thank fully, most companies aren't adopting 48fps never mind anything above it - it's pretty safe to say 48fps, 60fps media etc. won't happen, thank god. If anything, you are the one who is anti progression.

TL:DR Movies aren't video games. Don't be one of the idiots that confuses or tries to dilute the two together.

I will not be an idiot

And you are still anti progression

and i know you are but what am i?

mjvhhjcyvdtd tvtrsvrtd gvdtvdytvdtdftbhd

love professaX

To be honest... I haven't looked into 4K at all.. ^_^ I've been looking and planning to get the Playstation VR and maybe the Nintendo NX (just depends on what the NX is going to be) :) The PSVR should be great for immersive gaming and movies (if they use it for movies) :P Anyway...

I have a pretty good setup for when I watch movies e.g. 3D Projector, PS4 and 90inch Screen, so I don't want to spend more money on a new 4K TV, 4K Player and movies...
http://imgur.com/kcHAcih
Edited by Emrys

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Arian said:

Oh, I thought this was a thread about Konami and the Yu-Gi-Oh! anime.

Like 4Kids?:haha:I can't tell you how much 4kids shit I've seen labeled as 4k and at first glance thought it meant 4k resolution

I''ll make the jump when I can afford it (so in like 5 years maybe:haha:) considering shit I want to see gets actual 4k restoration and not just shitty upscales. I've watched 4k stuff I torrented in the past downscaled to my 1080p screen and it looks insanely good.

53 minutes ago, DabDeity710 said:

Like 4Kids?:haha:I can't tell you how much 4kids shit I've seen labeled as 4k and at first glance thought it meant 4k resolution

Konami calls their production company 4KMedia. A retarded name, I know but that's where I made the connection.

4k-news.jpg?1379430591