What got you into anime, and kept you there?

zephy669

I watched a bit of Pokemon when I was a kid, but I was properly introduced to anime by a friend I knew at church, whom recommend Haruhi to me. I got hooked up to anime ever since, and around three years ago, I started screencapping every single anime I watch. Due to my habit, I've also developed a fondness to high quality video resolution, meaning that I'd only watch anime in its highest possible quality. 

Also, thanks to anime, I've developed a passion for voice acting, and I'm working towards becoming a professional voice actor and actor someday.

Edited by Inverti
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

When I was a little kid, I would bounce on my trampoline with my brother and we'd pretend fight. Then, all of the sudden out of nowhere, my brother one upped me by doing a Kamehameha wave at my face; and that's how my interest in DBZ,and  anime in general began. For the first few years it was mainly just DBZ and then some pokemon, but later on I started watching all the animes that were on toonami—inu yasha, yu yu hakusho, rurouni kenshin, gundam wing, G gundam, Blue gender, cowboy bebop etc etc—and that was like breaking the dam that was holding back a tsunami.

When I was about 12 or 13 years old my interests in anime started to grow even more as I would search for animes that weren't on toonami yet; I think it was at this time that I started reading manga. My cousin gave me a CD with the first 7 or so volumes of naruto on there, and of course that lead to bleach.... I'd watch any anime or read any manga I could find, really; and I'd request various animes as christmas presents each year.

By the time I was 15-16, I was starting to get a little tired of the typical shounen recipe and started watching animes like berserk, monster, 20th century boys; I started branching off into slice of life shows and comedies like honey and clover, beck, lucky star, golden boy, etc etc

Really, it was just an ever expanding journey until I was about 18 or 19 I suppose. Then every thing slowed down considerably because the stress of adult hood really got to me. Here I am years later (26 years old) , and I've only watched maybe one or two animes a year for these past 6 years or so. I'm trying to get out of a depression slump and re-kindle my old interests, so here I am.

Edited by teteran
typos

i was a 90's kid. 4 local tv's each showing 2 hrs in the morning, 1.5 hours in the afternoon, and 2.5 hours on primetime which included various /multiple seasons of World Masterpiece Theater, few 80s anime & tokusats and 90s anime and rarely 70s anime. With Evangelion as my favorite at that time, just because it is a robot anime and was unaware it has that kind of effect on a person till I rewatched it on my 20's.

My first anime was Uchuu Senkan Yamato. When I first watched it, though, it was the American adaptation called "Star Blazers: The Quest for Iscandar".  I had a crush on Derek Wildstar, who -- as I discovered years later -- was actually named Susumu Kodai!!! :$ 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Grew up watching it on the Sci-Fi channel and IFC. Later moved on to collecting hard subbed VHS tapes. Eventually it became more mainstream in the late 1990s, early 2000s (around my early teens) and you couldn't get away from it. I watch a lot less of it now that I'm older. But for me, there's always a huge nostalgia factor to it. Usually 4 or 5 new anime pull me back in every year.

Anime is still fun, reminds me of the good times of my childhood, basically.

On 10/16/2016 at 1:03 AM, Enigma said:

Grew up watching it on the Sci-Fi channel and IFC. Later moved on to collecting hard subbed VHS tapes. Eventually it became more mainstream in the late 1990s, early 2000s (around my early teens) and you couldn't get away from it. I watch a lot less of it now that I'm older. But for me, there's always a huge nostalgia factor to it. Usually 4 or 5 new anime pull me back in every year.

Anime is still fun, reminds me of the good times of my childhood, basically.

Oh! I totally forgot about the sci fi channel! I did watch some anime on there too! but I can't remember what those were.

I was watching a yoshi's island speedrunner/livestreamer known as trihex and I remembered an opening to a weird anime he played on a game called stepmania. after many hours of looking though his livestreams I finally found the song. I looked up the name and streamed the short series (which was called bokusatsu tenshi dokuro chan) one day I showed it to my dad for fun. and then later my dad showed the the anime elfen lied. then I got into violent anime and got obsessed. eventually I lost interest in anime and haven't watched anything since over a year ago. until recently I saw a clip from one punch man. since I had heard good things about it I decided to download it and watch it. it was really good and in the past 3 days I have watched the anime twice with the japanese dub once with the english dub and read the manga. I can't wait for that second season.

anyway I don't like lots of violence in my shows anymore and have mostly stuck to kids cartoons for many months now. I still hate anime as a whole but I might start watching it again thanks to one punch man.

• 3 months later...

When I was a kid there was this channel that aired anime 24/7, and I was addicted to it. I used to watch anime like Dragon Ball, Digimon, Pokemon, My Daddy Long Legs, Remi, Nobody's Girl, Yu-Gi-Oh and so much more. But I stopped when I got tired of TV and their repeated shows, 3 years ago or something, I decided to start watching anime once again. The first anime I watched after years of not watching anime, was Death Note, I loved it so much I binged-watched the show in 48 hours. Then I stopped for a while again, and after few months I started watching again with SAO, then I tried watching Tokyo Ghoul but I stopped in the third episode because I couldn't keep up with reading the subs and Tokyo Ghoul wasn't dubbed then. After a year or 8 months, I started again Re-watched SAO, Death Note, Tokyo Ghoul, Yu-Gi-Oh, and started watching different shows like Elfen Lied, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Howl's Moving Castle, and some other anime I can't remember. Then I met a friend in an Online game I was playing called Silkroad, and he happen to be a die-hard Otaku. He recommended a lot of shows, and ever since I have been watching anime, and I just went to my very first Anime Convention last week. 

• 3 weeks later...

As a kid it was the usual DBZ, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sailor Moon, Digimon, etc. A few years later I hired a DVD with the first few episodes of Serial Experiments Lain, and saw a few movies (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Akira). What finally got me really hooked on anime was Naruto. 

• 2 months later...