What got you into anime, and kept you there?

zephy669

I don't recall posting here but what the hell why not ?

For me anime was and still is a fascination since I was a little kid. 

How so you say? Well .. since I was a kid during late eighties and well into early 2000's (yeah I am old) my only source of anime was through our local channel.

During that time a lot of anime was adapted and dubbed to the local language .. unlike the USA were children are fond of DragonBall Z and the like .. here shows like Grendizer, Takarajima, Future Boy Conan, Izenborg Dinosaur Wars are considered classics and are part of many childhood memories and many more.

Still at the time anime was not a real concept for me and we just considered them cartoons .. yet in the back of my mind we knew these are "the cartoons from Japan" that are different and cool and had actual stories and characters and are maturely developed and not like any American cartoons.

Than there was some channels that aired in English and boy their shows were different .. I would remember those huge mechas fighting and flying bit damn I would not remember any of the shows names.

And than I would hear or glimpse about some anime that we never got.

All these factors created a very curious mind in me to know and want to watch anime.

Fast forward to 2009-2010 when I got a decent internet connection and I discover forums and sites that provided file-hosting links to sites like Hotfile, Fileserve, Rapidshare at the time.

I was mostly into movies, slowly I would see a few links to anime and people mention them on forums.

The hidden curiosity that was hibernating in the back of my mind was waking up again and slowly coming out.

Than .. it took some months to decide for some reason ... I went searching for what anime to watch and I decided on two awesome gems , Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo !

And ever since I am hooked real good and never let go. Still looking for gems.

Edited by emjay911

• 1 month later...

I was also a kid in the late 80's and loved japanese animation when the first big shows started to be broadcasted on TV : Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball, Urusei yatsura, Maison Ikkoku, Sherlock Hound, and many more.

Then growing up, Akira (by Katsuhiro Otomo) was a huge revelation. I bought the first volumes of the manga which was simply mind blowing and in 1991 I bought the VHS of the animated movie which was also the most impressive visual experience I ever had at this point. I watched it countless times.

After that I really loved Ranma ½ and City Hunter and the classic anime style of the early 90's. Thanks to these shows I started to become familiar with the japanese visual vocabulary of comedy that we all understand today (all the flavours of smileys for exemple). Also the frequent use of 3 shades of color to create shapes through shadows and highlights was really impressive in City Hunter.

In 1995, I got to see Miyazaki's Porco Rosso in a movie theatre which made me realize as a teenager that animation really was my favourite art form. Porco Rosso (with the french voice actors) is still my favourite animated movie today.

In 1999 and later I saw Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, Jin-Roh and Mononoke-hime, all masterpieces that confirmed for good my love for japanese animation.

• Like 1

What actually got me into anime was a long time ago Dominion Tank Police was on either Showtime or Cinemax and we had it free because of a promotion or something. I was watching the last few minutes of a movie I caught on the station and left it on to see what was on next. When it came on I fell in love with the art style, music and story though a lot of the anime style has changed in a lot of ways since then. I went searching for more information on it and found the rest of it as well as stumbled across Ranma 1/2 and Slayers. From there I was hooked and loved everything from Sailor Moon, Magic Knight Rayearth, Tenchi, Orguss, Bubblegum Crisis, and so many more. Even now I still love anime, enjoying classics and new series alike.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For me it was a gradual process of watching shows brought over to the States with English dubs as a kid. I was into YuGiOh and Pokemon, played the video games and card games, just like many others. There were a few things that set my experience apart though, I think, one being that my parents checked out some Studio Ghibli movies like Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro from the library for me when I was in early junior high. Watching those films really drew me into their worlds and characters like nothing I had really seen before, except for some books I was really fond of. Then later in junior high I was introduced to Japanese-voiced TV anime in the form of Ouran High School Host Club, all because of a girl I knew at the time who was into the show and recommended it to me. There were a few shows around this time that I also ended up watching and becoming obsessed with such as Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, and Eureka Seven to only name a short few. Watching those shows at all to begin with was most likely because it was 2008/2009 and thats what was hot at the time, although I really came away from that time period having experience some shows that I still love even to this day (Death Note in particular which I actually signed up to this forum to watch again now that its gotten its BD release).

As a kid, I watched Battle of the Planets (an Americanized version of Gatchaman), Cat's Eye (I watched a French dub), and Robotech (mainly the Macross saga). Then I was introduced to Lupin III (Castle of Cagliostro), Ranma 1/2, Phantom Quest Corps, Akira, and Bubblegum Crisis. I was hooked. Since then I've been a connoiseur of many titles, such as Lupin III, Space Adventure Cobra, Cowboy Bebop, Combattler V, and pretty much anything by Hayao Miyazaki. 

Edited by Galactus616
fixed typo

Sword Art Online dragged me into the anime world & now almost everything in this ever expanding world compells me to stay here.

When I was a kid, I watched Pokemon, Detective Conan(Case Closed), Doraemon, Inazuma Eleven, Beyblade, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z etc..., thinking of them as cartoons.

First few series I watched knowing that it's anime were Letter Bee, Hayate the Combat Butler, Baka & Test Summon the Beast, Beelzebub & Bleach.

SAO was the first anime which I downloaded & watched,.

On 5/31/2016 at 2:29 PM, rockhoundhigh said:

Back in the 3rd and 4th grade I couldn't really get into the DBZ fad. I used to watch some random snippets of shows like Zatch Bell and Yu Yu Hakusho on Toonami but none of them ever really clicked. Growing up in a Mexican household completely oblivious to Japanese culture, it all seemed to foreign to me. It wasn't till by sheer chance I caught an episode of FMA: Brotherhood in high school that absolutely I got  hooked for the first time. Even so my selection at this point was definitely limited to more western tastes. It wasn't really till I started college that I really started to double down on anime thanks to my cousin and a friend of mine who started introducing me to more series. You can find all kinds of shows for any kind of audience. Now, finishing off my third year of college it's a big part of my life. Welcome to the NHK for example had a big impact on me; I really had to re-evaluate where I was at in my life and I how I felt about myself after watching that one.

Yeah, funny how a seemingly innocent anime can turn-out to have truly deep emotional impact, and even affect how we look at our lives, even our existence. You want impact on life, try "Angel Beats" sometime. :)  But, then I guess it's probably fairly personal among people which stories really have impact. If nothing else, Angel Beats has fantastic music. 

• 2 weeks later...

Different answers for each part of the question.

DBZ got me into it when I was a kid. I'd watch random anime on some Stars channel we had.

Those roots allowed me to enjoy stuff like Naruto/One Piece and the first Bleach arc later.

But that wouldn't have kept me into it. Stuff like Nodame Cantabile, Honey and Clover, Cowboy Bebop, GitS:SAC, Seirei no Moribito, Nana, Paradise Kiss, and Stens;Gate are what kept me into anime. Sadly it doesn't seem like shows such as those listed come out anymore, but I still revisit them and look out for anything that seems up to par.

• 3 weeks later...