How should Marriage be viewed?

Muiki Sama

I was challenged in the chat box to debate the topic of marriage, so here it is.

How do you view marriage?

Marriage is a contract between one man and one woman. It signifies that these two have promised to be faithful and supportive to each other and that they don't take this vow lightly. Their roles should be that the man should support the family and the woman should take care of the family.

I view marriage as something sacred that should be cherished. It connects two people's lives forever.

I know that gay couples aren't allowed to get married. I think this is completely wrong. If two people love each other, and want to spend the rest of their lives together, they should be able to do so, regardless of gender. Marriage is about love between two people. And if those two people happen to be of the same gender, so what? It's still love.

I view marriage as something sacred that should be cherished. It connects two people's lives forever.

I know that gay couples aren't allowed to get married. I think this is completely wrong. If two people love each other, and want to spend the rest of their lives together, they should be able to do so, regardless of gender. Marriage is about love between two people. And if those two people happen to be of the same gender, so what? It's still love.

NO! You beat me to it... ( I mean the same views about the subject...) Eh...

Marriage is something that is sacred and cherished, because its only good for when you found your missing half of your heart and want to be with them forever....

Side note - About Cynthia, I think why he/she is asking because if you post in mako reactor you should post your view first before asking others. (But I can be wrong about it.)

marriage is nothing. marriage is the signing of a paper so that the government acknowledges the fact that you and someone else are now an official loving couple.

love. that is the main thing. you should establish with each other before marriage that you two truly love each other and mean to be together forever. forever does not mean the next 2 years. forever means the next 50 or even 70. will you still love this person when they are white and wrinkly? will you go through any hardship together, and stay together?

if someone means to cheat, they will cheat. if someone means to leave you, they will leave you. that marriage paper and ring is not a shield that protects you from those things happening. you need to get all of these factors out of the way in the "boyfriend/girlfriend" stage of your relationship. marriage is not going to make any bit of difference in these things. you should already have decided, and promised, and vowed to each other many times, that you will be together forever. do not leave it up to the "marriage contract" to bind you together. let your hearts do that instead.

mind you, Elsch still plans to have a wedding, and will still make her vows. but those vows are for show for the audience and the priest. her and her love have already promised to each other that we will be with each other for eternity. we already take care of each other, and will continue to do so forever. if the government needs us to sign a contract to prove it, then so be it. but it is not necessary for us to be together forever. that is already established with our hearts.

Might I ask, who challenged you, and why did you feel the need to make a topic about it? Secondly, you claim you were challenged, yet presented no argument, why is that?

First I felt that it was you who challenged me to talk about this and Secondly I put this in a topic so everyone, not just those in the chat box at the time, could put their two-sense worth in. I know that you might not have meant it as a challenge, but that is what it came across as.

First I felt that it was you who challenged me to talk about this and Secondly I put this in a topic so everyone, not just those in the chat box at the time, could put their two-sense worth in. I know that you might not have meant it as a challenge, but that is what it came across as.

I never challenged you. Nor did it even remotely sound like that. That wasn't even the discussion, the discussion was about sex and when it turned to marriage it wasn't even targeted towards you. It stayed on that all of two seconds and went back to the discussion of sex.

Secondly, if it was a challenge, why did you not present an argument? You ask for everyone else's opinion before presenting one of your own.

I never challenged you. Nor did it even remotely sound like that. That wasn't even the discussion, the discussion was about sex and when it turned to marriage it wasn't even targeted towards you. It stayed on that all of two seconds and went back to the discussion of sex.

Secondly, if it was a challenge, why did you not present an argument? You ask for everyone else's opinion before presenting one of your own.

I'm sorry that I misunderstood you.

I have put an argument on my original post.

But that is not always the case, I have had plenty of friends who are or have been married, and in a few of the relationships the WOMAN has gone out and worked while her husband stayed and looked after the children...

for you to say men SHOULD support the family and women SHOULD take care of said family is a little sexist.

A marriage is based on equality, BOTH working and BOTH looking after the family, not one should be doing this or that... but that is my opinion anyway.

One another note, marriage is not just between a man and a woman, you now have laws that state people of the same sex can marry, although these laws are not in affect in Australia I think they should be.

One another note, marriage is not just between a man and a woman, you now have laws that state people of the same sex can marry, although these laws are not in affect in Australia I think they should be.

I think California is the only state that allows it. I am pretty sure you can't in Texas.

Marriage is a contract between one man and one woman. It signifies that these two have promised to be faithful and supportive to each other and that they don't take this vow lightly. Their roles should be that the man should support the family and the woman should take care of the family.

Why do you feel that way? What dictates that this should be the way all marriage is set up? I am curious to know.

Well judging from people I've observed, marriage is the temporary staying together of a male and a female, it consists of many painful arguments that tend to end in violence as well as a few sincere moments that make the partners think it's all worth it until the next argument over something that would be considered stupid by an on-looker. Now marriage usually causes unnecessary emotional trauma to peers/children/relatives/anyone close to you and usually results in alcohol abuse/domestic violence which evetually leads to the partners feeling stupid that they were married in the first place, after which a divorce is in order and the child/product of the marriage has to hear from the parent he lives with about what a terrible person the other parent was for the rest of his/her life. Uh. just had to get that of my chest, but It's just what I've more or less boiled it down to.

Well judging from people I've observed, marriage is the temporary staying together of a male and a female, it consists of many painful arguments that tend to end in violence as well as a few sincere moments that make the partners think it's all worth it until the next argument over something that would be considered stupid by an on-looker. Now marriage usually causes unnecessary emotional trauma to peers/children/relatives/anyone close to you and usually results in alcohol abuse/domestic violence which evetually leads to the partners feeling stupid that they were married in the first place, after which a divorce is in order and the child/product of the marriage has to hear from the parent he lives with about what a terrible person the other parent was for the rest of his/her life. Uh. just had to get that of my chest, but It's just what I've more or less boiled it down to.

That's too bad. That's a very pessimistic way to look at things.

I was brought up with the teaching that marriage was between a man and a woman. Now, that's a religious point of view for me. Seeing what's been going on lately with these laws that allow for same sex marriage has been a bit disturbing. if there is a scientific point of view in marriage(if there is one at all), it's the joining of a couple, no matter what sex they are, although i do not support this. I don't have a grudge or anything against same sex marriage, but I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. I guess sometimes it depends on how people were brought up.

First, I just want to clear up some facts, because I'm like that.

In the states, same sex marriages can be performed in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Washington DC. California performed same sex marriages in 2008, but they have once again been banned. California does have a category called "same sex union" however, which grants all of the legal benefets of being married without actually being recognized as a marriage.

Either way, I support same sex marriages. I have known several gay couples of both genders over the years, and the quality of love I have seen h as never been any different from the straight couples I've known. They have their ups and downs, but it's still obviously a loving relationship.

Speaking to people who believe that in straight marriages, genders have specific roles. This belief is a little old fashioned, but I won't criticise it for that reason. It just can't always be the case. In the case of disability or simply life style choice, the male and/or the females' role may be different, and what if there is no "family" to support? Then why should either of them have to take on that role? We even have research now that shows that satisfaction is greater in couples who divide various supporting duties, so from that point of view, heaping them all on one person is pretty counterproductive.

So pick someone. Love them. Support them, and if they can do the same for you, then you're sitting pretty.

But that is not always the cease, I have had plenty of friends who are or have been married, and in a few of the relationships the WOMAN has gone out and worked while her husband stayed and looked after the children...

for you to say men SHOULD support the family and women SHOULD take care of said family is a little sexist.

A marriage is based on equality, BOTH working and BOTH looking after the family, not one should be doing this or that... but that is my opinion anyway.

No its not all ways the case, but this is how I view it. I have to much respect for the fairer sex to be subjecting them to this world. Yes my views seem sexist.