How should Marriage be viewed?

Muiki Sama

If all the fathers raised their daughters in a sheltered world how would she find a partner?

I don't believe in arranged marriages, a woman should be free to chose who she will spend the rest of her life with...

Also if a father did raise his daughter like that and suddenly he passed away how would she survive? going from living in a sheltered existence to the big bad world?

Yes I am a girl, when I have a daughter I will try my best to protect her so she needn't suffer as I did while I was growing up, BUT if she does not go out and learn for herself, how else would she learn right and wrong? how will she learn to grow into a proper adult?

You too sir, will end up with a woman so dependent on you she would be but a child in mind if not her body for a daughter and/or a wife it that is your views about subjecting the "fairer sex" to this world.

No its not all ways the case, but this is how I view it. I have to much respect for the fairer sex to be subjecting them to this world. Yes my views seem sexist.

So much respect that you demand they be ideal housewives and not marry the same sex if they desire right?

marriage is two people spending their lives together with a public contract for show. it means nothing if they don't respect eachother as equals. marriage is two friends sharing time with love for who they each are. :)

See, what you just said there fairly contradicts itself. You say they are friends and they love each other, but they don't have the respect to see each other as equals. I don't know about you, but I respect my friends, and especially the people I love. Do you feel this way about all your friends? That they are lower than you? Is no one your equal?

Not to mention your view of marriage is quite pessimistic. You see it only as a contract for the public to see, as if it's some kind of show for others to enjoy. Although I do not submit to the idea of marriage being sacred, it is far more than that. It is a contract of love, you marry someone because you love them, yes it is also for legal benefits, but you marry someone essentially because you love them and you respect them. It's saying you have the respect of loyalty and commitment to them, and that you want to be with them.

Really the idea of letting people get married but not call it marriage is a start, however we've proven in the past that separate but equal doesn't work. I don't see what's the big deal of giving up the word marriage to homosexuals. The bible did not invent marriage, it had been around long before the bible. Not to mention you don't have to marry under God in many parts of the world, including the United States. Why so clung to this word, "marriage"?

Marriage = One man + one woman through a church. Civil Unions = One person + one person through the state/nation. Gays are not rightfully put into the "marriage" category. Although I am all for giving them equal rights.

Separate but equal is not equal. Shouldn't we all know this by now?

If a man wants to marry another man, or a woman wants to marry another woman, they ought to have that right. Love is love. I honestly don't see any difference between a straight couple or a gay couple.

Well you definitely know how to pick subjects!

How marriage is seen, is very much subjective, so there will be too many different opinions out there, as you can already see from the answers in the thread. Marriage is only a legalization of the love 2 people have for each other. Well at least ideally that is what it should be. Regrettably it has and in some cases still is being abused to force people into something they do not necessarily want to be in. The marriage contract, which it used to be and in some cultures still is, was initially between the families as the marriages were arranged. Nowadays the marriage contract is still used to protect the rights of both parties, in case of a split. In some cultures, it ensures the woman certain rights that are agreed upon prior to the marriage, but again these "rights" are usually demanded by the families.

I have to agree with the comment that love is the important factor and not marriage. It does not matter if you are married if your heart has already made the choice of who you want to share the rest of your life with. A lot of people do not believe in love anymore nowadays, but once you find your "other half", you will believe. ^_^

Separate but equal is not equal. Shouldn't we all know this by now?

You have a really good point there. I don't have a problem with gay people not one bit. I think they should be treated equally. Free will is free will. I guess I just feel like marriage is in the eyes of God. Now I've no idea what other ideals say about God and his view on same sex marriage but being a christian God does not permit it in my eyes. Although that is being selfish and arrogant to think the God I believe in is better or more important than the God anyone else believes in. So bottom line I think they should have the right to get married. They don't deserve to be crucified by what sex they are attracted to or by who they love.

Yay for having an open mind and not being a prideful douche bag :D

• 1 month later...

I think it is a relation of a life time. So we should choose our partner very carefully, so that there is no conflict. And marriage is not a contract, in actual we should marry only at that time when we we are sure that she/he is the one not to any boy or girl who is looking nice....And it also means to support him or her in what ever means possible.....

In India we say that marriage is a ceremony in which two souls are combined as one.

• 1 year later...

Humans really shouldn't look upon themselves as anything more then animals, to be a little more blunt we are dogs. We can mate with several partners produce a high number of children and that would be our general purpose to survive. Staying together in groups is natural for us and many other species, but staying together in a monogamist relationship is a quality that few species posses and we are one of them. Though only a handful of humanity has ever produced such life long couples the number that stands, drowns out the numbers that have been life long.

My views are that people who live together share hardships together, happiness, birth a child, and everything else in between, if they do all of that together then they need no paper that proves other wise, that is a marriage in my eyes.