Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross

Koby

I never got to know too much about Chrono Cross, is it true that it's a sequel to chrono trigger?

It actually has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger. It has the same type of story, though, except rather than time, it is dimension in this.

The combat system is pretty difficult to get used to for first time players, but it is pretty good, nonetheless. I got to the final dungeon using an emulator too, and if I can find it in stores or on PSN, I would probably get it, unless it was too expensive. I forgot whether or not I actually beat the game, though. It also has a character recruitment system similar to the Suikoden games, since there are many possible characters you can recruit and most of them are optional.

It actually has nothing to do with Chrono Trigger. It has the same type of story, though, except rather than time, it is dimension in this.

The combat system is pretty difficult to get used to for first time players, but it is pretty good, nonetheless. I got to the final dungeon using an emulator too, and if I can find it in stores or on PSN, I would probably get it, unless it was too expensive. I forgot whether or not I actually beat the game, though. It also has a character recruitment system similar to the Suikoden games, since there are many possible characters you can recruit and most of them are optional.

Actually, Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger while not sharing stories are still part of the same series.

Also Crono, Marle, and Lucca from Chrono Trigger make an appearance as three visions who explain some stuff in the game to Serge at one point in the game. Serge also eventually obtains and cleanses the Masamune sword from Chrono Trigger. Serge also has some dealings with Schala, the princess of the Kingdom of Zeal, who actually becomes Lavos in the Chrono Trigger storyline. So if you read more about it you'll see there is a lot of things about Trigger in Cross and their stories do run together. Chrono Cross is an alternate dimension from the one in Chrono Trigger.

Taken directly from Wikipedia:

Chrono Cross
(クロノ・クロス,
Kurono Kurosu
?
) is a
role-playing video game
developed
and
published
by
Square
(now
Square Enix
) for the
PlayStation
video game console
. It is the sequel to
Chrono Trigger
, which was released in 1995 for the
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Chrono Cross
was developed primarily by scenarist and director
Masato Kato
and other designers from
Chrono Trigger
, including art director
Yasuyuki Honne
and composer
Yasunori Mitsuda
Nobuteru Yūki
designed the characters of the game.

Chrono Cross
employs story arcs, characters, and themes from
Radical Dreamers
, a
Satellaview
side story to
Chrono Trigger
released in Japan. An illustrated
text adventure
Radical Dreamers
was created to wrap up an unresolved plot line of
Chrono Trigger
. Though it borrows from
Radical Dreamers
in its exposition,
Chrono Cross
is not a remake of
Radical Dreamers
, but a larger effort to fulfill that game's purpose; the plots of the games are irreconcilable. To resolve continuity issues and acknowledge
Radical Dreamers
, the developers of
Chrono Cross
suggested the game happened in a parallel dimension. A notable difference between the two games is that Magus—present in
Radical Dreamers
as Gil—is absent from
Chrono Cross
. Director Masato Kato originally planned for Magus to appear in disguise as Guile, but scrapped the idea due to plot difficulties. In the DS version of Chrono Trigger, Kato teases the possibility of an amnesiac Magus.

Actually, Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger while not sharing stories are still part of the same series.

Taken directly from Wikipedia:

Chrono Cross
(クロノ・クロス,
Kurono Kurosu
) is a
and
by
(now
) for the
. It is the sequel to
, which was released in 1995 for the
Chrono Cross
was developed primarily by scenarist and director
and other designers from
Chrono Trigger
, including art director
and composer
designed the characters of the game.

hmmm, seems they are linked. the characters Lucca and Magus make appearances in it, I think.

I wonder what became the fate of Crono and which ending was canon. Haven't really played Chrono Cross since I heard Crono wasn't in it.

Sorta like FF-X2 except I had already bought the game and was half-way into it when i realised Tidus was never gonna show up.

Wait, so this explains what happens to Schala? then I guess I've got no choice but to play it then, does this mean we see Magus at some point in time as well? @Iki, I think the Canon ending would be the one where you completed all the tasks the guy at the end of time told you to do before fighting Lavos.

I forgot about that sine it was awhile, but they do show up. They only appear near the end of disc one or the start of disc 2, though, but only briefly. That is basically the only connection, though. THe world is vastly different than the one in Chrono Trigger, as far as I remember. The characters from Chrono Trigger only make an appearance near the very end of the game, though, if I remember correctly.

yes, i do.. and i really love it until now..

it's one of the best way back 1999 - 2000, the soundtrack was really nice and the story is quite nice (chrono trigger is still the best, though).

i just feel like most of the games today (rpg's) are not that good since the great RPG age way back in the 1990's. it's good that the graphics are nice nowadays but there are something that lacks in RPG games today.

• 3 months later...

i Cant remember where i saw it and i Just redid my PC so i dont have the link on hand for it but i think it MAY have been QuickJump or gamefaqs,

but they are working on Touching up Chrono Cross for PS3/PSP PSX Classics (PS1 Eboots)

ironicly befor ei ever played Trigger i played Cross. now i Just cant wait ^.^ though i'd like to see Trigger and Cross not Rebranded for PSP but remade like how FF1 and 2 were for the PSP.

I own the PS1 disc so I have no need of it coming to PSN. Though I'd like to see them bring even more so people can enjoy more classics. I've just never been a fan of buying something I don't have a physical copy of.

Personally I couldn't get into the battle system of Chrono Cross.

Chrono Trigger was awesome though.

• 5 months later...

Chrono Cross was awesome! :)

Still boot it up from time to time even now. So many characters in your party and being able to switch on the fly.

That in itself makes it one of the most epic RPGs ever. No RPG has ever come close to how many characters are in this...at least, I don't think.

• 5 months later...
  • Koby changed the title to Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross