Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross

Koby

*twitch twitch* So many characters... not to mention it is tricky to remember the exact way to get some characters short of having a guide around.

But as for the gameplay it definately was excellent. Though the number of times I'd get irked when I was younger when the 3 time bar cost hits missed because the RNG decided it wasn't my day? *sighs*

That and the fact that for some bosses trap cards were your absolute best friend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Koby changed the title to Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross

Version 1.0.1.0 of CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION has now been released.

8joEnRx.png

Update Content

・Framerate improvements
・Changes to the growth system for Pip
・Other minor bug fixes

(When using the hardware stated in the recommended specs for the Steam version, you can expect the game to run at an average of 60FPS (30FPS maximum outside of battle scenes.) However, due to the rendering system used in the game, it is possible that when using certain graphics cards, some scenes with particularly high load may not run at 60FPS. The cards we have observed this occurring with are in the AMD Radeon RX 6000 series.)

Details about the update have been posted on the official website and the support page.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/15/2011 at 8:34 PM, Koby said:

I loved Chrono Trigger.. but I could never get into Chrono Cross.

The controls were gay, and everything else was just too odd for me.

I feel exactly the same way 🤣
In addition to Chrono Cross' controls being gay, the game has some serious issues with player choice in my opinion. I didn't like Kid, thus I told her off every chance I got. She will often leave you alone for a while, but the game refuses to stop needling you with Kid. If I recall correctly, the scenes don't change much even if you haven't had her in your party. Thus, she kept talking to Serge as if they were best friends despite participating in 0% of his adventure. Additionally, the level-up system's rubber-banding means that a lot of combat and character building doesn't matter too much. The cast is far too large, leading to 90% of them being hollow shells of characters. Since I didn't feel attached to any party members, I didn't particularly align with them against the villains.
The whole thing felt very shallow, spacey, and disconnected. That's really the only way I can explain it. Character dialogue felt very generic and I got the sense that most characters spoke in a similar way, which left the dialogue feeling throwaway. In Final Fantasy VIII for example, I can tell you how Biggs differs in speech/personality from Wedge, Edea, Irvine, Zell, Selphie, Laguna, Dr. Odine, and the list goes on. Aside from the stellar soundtrack, I don't feel any kinship or warmth from Chrono Cross, nor do I feel a pull to revisit the game.

Spoiler

Seriously, can you tell me anything about these guys without looking them up? Their likes/dislikes, nuances of their speech? Their names?

z1e70u.jpg3140m9.jpg12xv18.jpg

Edited by Zemekis
had a word in there twice

2011, hmm... I don't recall exactly why I would've called the controls gay of all things lmao.

But they did a Remaster for the game last year (or was it the year before), and well it was mostly just new character models with a blur filter on the old backgrounds. I played through the game and finished it, but still didn't like it. The whole collect your party aspect has never been a thing I enjoyed in these types of rpgs other than monster collecting in Shin Megami Tensei, Pokemon, and Dragon Quest Monsters. It was okay in Suikoden, but the way it's handled in Chrono Cross so that you're easily locked out of getting certain characters if you do this or get that person at this moment, etc.. just doesn't sit will with me.

The whole star system also is still as terrible as ever... Where largely your fights are meaningless except just after beating a boss... and if you don't maximize that opportunity you can easily screw yourself and put you into a predicament of being too weak but having nothing you can actually do about it in terms of powering up. Grinding out the small fry isn't going to slowly make you stronger if you ain't got any star power.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 2:07 PM, Koby said:

2011, hmm... I don't recall exactly why I would've called the controls gay of all things lmao.

I don't know either, but it made me laugh. I think I understand and share the sentiment, but who knows. I didn't notice that you replied. Sorry for the super late reply myself.

or was it the year before

I want to say it was the year before, already. Because time is flying by faster & faster. Let me check...
ottuUMt9vWb.png

it was mostly just new character models with a blur filter on the old backgrounds.

The whole star system also is still as terrible as ever

I'm remembering now why I didn't pick up a copy. I heard that it was a very sloppy remake. I was somewhat interested due to the inclusion of Radical Dreamers, but I would up getting an English-patched reproduction cartridge for the SNES for Christmas 2021 and I think that's why I skipped the remaster. Sounds like I made the right choice.