Xbox One will soon support MKV video playback

StaticX

xbox-one-digital-tv-tuner_940x580-640x0.

Microsoft revealed last week that it will release its Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One come October, though initially only in the U.K., France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. The USB-connected device will grant Xbox One users capabilities that bring the new console closer to the media-master status achieved by its predecessor.

Today, the Xbox One takes another step in that direction, and actually surpasses the Xbox 360 as a media player in some ways. Microsoft announced that the Digital TV tuner, in coordination with a media player app, will include support for MKV, among a long list of other codecs. The MKV codec is a staple video format for torrent connoisseurs and their legal, rip-happy, film buff counterparts.

For once, it seems that users will be able to play back their illegally obtained (or genuinely owned and digitized) video content via gaming console with relative ease.

Whether you stop by The Pirate Bay every Sunday night for the latest Game of Thrones episode or have a 5TB hard drive filled to the brim with your elite personal library of legitimately obtained Blu-ray Criterion Collection rips, there’s a good chance you’ve been there before: you plug in via USB to your HDTV or Roku hoping to play your favorite video files, only to find that all of those painstakingly downloaded/ripped files are nowhere to be found. Your device won’t recognize them, likely because you’ve got a bunch of files in MKV format — an increasingly popular container choice for high-def video rips.

The new tuner and media player app combo appear to negate this widespread lack of support. For now,  only video content stored on  USB-connected devices can be accessed, but DLNA support for playback over a network is promised to come soon.

Source

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/new-xbox-one-device-simplifies-access-personal-film-libraries/

This Maybe Good news for Xbox One Owners :)

Shows how stupid Microsoft is; referring to mkv as a codec rather than a container. -_-

I bet it'll still hang up on different audio codecs though, so you're likely to get video but no audio.

That and ASS subs likely will not be supported.

Also 10-bit encodes won't play either I can pretty much guarantee.

yeah, but if PS4 were to get MKV support, Sony would probably Bombard the PS4 with that Cinavia Audio crap and other copyright measures like they did with the PS3, however I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft pulls the same Stunt.

PS3s still can't play MKVs though (without using sumthin like PS3 Media Server).

I'd use that server trick but I rarely connect my PS3 to the internet. I did just recently obtain a router, but too much trouble for me to plug it in/figure out how to work it.

MKV should have been available from the very start. Don't call it the "all in one entertainment system" if it's not actually all in one, it just makes you look stupid.

Yeah, and I wish PS4 actually had Games AND Video file support, all I hear is bitching and Whining about the Xbox One, yet PS4 has hardly any games without having to resort to 3rd party Software to make sales. -_-

MKV should have been available from the very start. Don't call it the "all in one entertainment system" if it's not actually all in one, it just makes you look stupid.

Yeah, and I wish PS4 actually had Games AND Video file support, all I hear is bitching and Whining about the Xbox One, yet PS4 has hardly any games without having to resort to 3rd party Software to make sales. -_-

Why are you trying to turn this into a PS4 v Xbox One argument ? I'm not one of these fanboys that are for one console and against the other and bringing up that old PS4 has no games thing is just stupid. Of course it has games, just look at the wikipedia list and you will see that there are currently 100 games on the system.

Why are you trying to turn this into a PS4 v Xbox One argument ? I'm not one of these fanboys that are for one console and against the other and bringing up that old PS4 has no games thing is just stupid. Of course it has games, just look at the wikipedia list and you will see that there are currently 100 games on the system.

I'm a major Sony fan, but those 100 games are mostly third-party titles, multi-platform games, and indies etc.

What Phaz0n wants are more "first-party" games (major AAA games created/published by Sony themselves) and PS4 AAA exclusives (games only available on PS4).

I'm a major Sony fan, but those 100 games are mostly third-party titles, multi-platform games, and indies etc.

What Phaz0n wants are more "first-party" games (major AAA games created/published by Sony themselves) and PS4 AAA exclusives (games only available on PS4).

Let's be honest though, if people are going to say that about the PS4 then i could just as easily say the same about the Xbox One, The Xbox One only has 6 more exclusive games than the PS4.

They are both fine consoles, i don't see why all this fanboy crap happens to be honest.

• Like 2

I don't understand the need/want of a gaming console to play video or be an all-in-one entertainment box.

Hook a damn PC/laptop to your TV via vga or hdmi and call it a day.

You'll never have to worry about compatibility. You'll have full access for even 10-bit and ass subs.

• Like 3

I don't understand the need/want of a gaming console to play video or be an all-in-one entertainment box.Hook a damn PC/laptop to your TV via vga or hdmi and call it a day.You'll never have to worry about compatibility. You'll have full access for even 10-bit and ass subs.

For those without laptops, or share one computer with others.

This way when you buy a game system, you also get a computer in one, were you can google search or watch stuff.

Anyways does it play mkv files with softsub captions, or just hardsub?

I don't understand the need/want of a gaming console to play video or be an all-in-one entertainment box.Hook a damn PC/laptop to your TV via vga or hdmi and call it a day.You'll never have to worry about compatibility. You'll have full access for even 10-bit and ass subs.

For those without laptops, or share one computer with others.

This way when you buy a game system, you also get a computer in one, were you can google search or watch stuff.

Anyways does it play mkv files with softsub captions, or just hardsub?

Chances are it won't support anything but SRT subs.

As for the comment of no laptop/no pc. A cheap refurbished HTPC would cost you ~$100 on NewEgg and be fully capable of handling even 10-bit 1080p. So not having a second PC is no excuse. Game consoles would be much cheaper and much better if they stopped trying to rule your entertainment center and instead focused on the actual gaming aspect of things. Console gaming has just consistently gone downhill since anything after the PS2.

• Like 1