What Accent Do You Speak With?

Arian

This'll sound stupid, but depending on what I'm saying I have different accents. Here's a couple examples- I occasionally say yeah after questions or statements. I sometimes add an upward inflection on some sentences thanks to the accent I picked up from a week in Pennsylvania. I have a Texan accent because I've lived here 21 years. There's the occasional west coast accent that sneaks in there, but not often though.

Basically, if I watch submerse myself in an accent for a bit, I'll pick it up and then not even noticed I'm using it.

• Like 1

i have  rather   unique  accent ,   i grew up in  south east Asia  but attended  what is called an English medium  school ( this basically a school  that  go from K-G to 9th grade) all the teachers were British educated or South African educated and proper pronunciation was  very strictly  enforced. However i moved to the eastern United States  when i was a  8  so , i have  evolved an accent which  Americans thing sound kind of British and the British think sounds kind of American. realistically i think its just that i  speak far to properly for American and not properly enough for British XD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The best way to describe my accent is southern american. I lived in Arizona for 7 years, so I definately have that in me, but I've spent the last 8 years in Oregon, so I have that "draw" to my voice.

I took 3 years of acting classes in highschool, which included language coaching for some of the stage plays that I was in, so I learned all about different dialects and how to tell the difference between Austrailian, English, New Zealand, ect.

I can do a proper Chaucerian English accent, a thick southern accent (more so than my natural speaking voice; think bayou country), and a Russian accent and make them sound convincing.

Edited by Xegoog

Me I speak with a very light yankee accent(new york city). Only people from new York pick it up. Its shocks people every time I talk because they expect to hear an Indian accent and they hear an health educated white American accent. I can literally see the sparks come out there ears. The otherday a cop stopped on the road cuz he thought I purpously blew the stop sign. Thays what he said when he saw me. He then went on to say people from my nationality have a tenfancy to blow stop signs since they don't follow it overseas. I plainly told him I wouldn't know since I was born and grew up in nyc. He stuttered and still gave the ticket! The only thing he was right about is that I did make a mistake at the stop sign! XD

Edited by professa
  • Like 1

Me I speak with a very light Yankee accent(new york city). Only people from new York pick it up. Its shocks people every time I talk because they expect to hear an Indian accent and they hear an health educated white American accent. I can literally see the sparks come out there ears. The other day a cop stopped on the road cuz he thought I purposely blew the stop sign. Thays what he said when he saw me. He then went on to say people from my nationality have a tendency to blow stop signs since they don't follow it overseas. I plainly told him I wouldn't know since I was born and grew up in NYC. He stuttered and still gave the ticket! The only thing he was right about is that I did make a mistake at the stop sign! XD

I only have more love and respect for you now. ^^ New York is the best city in the world. It's great to know a guy from my favorite place.

Edited by Arian

I have an Australian accent, but an educated one.

Hard to explain. Most Aussies use a lot of slang

or don't say words like something right.

they say somethink which pisses me off no end.

They say mi instead of my and other dumb shit sounding

uneducated crap that bugs the hell out of me.

So the way I speak affects the accent of mine.

the best example I can think of is England.

Londoners have an educated sounding accent. Elizabeth Hurley can turn me on not only with her

looks but that accent too. Then you have the poorer or maybe outer regions is a better way of saying

it that talk with less sophistication.

That is the best way to explain my accent, but it does not sound stuck up, just more educated.

does that make any sense to you?

Edited by theNexus

• 4 weeks later...